Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fraser region 2 closed for salmon tonight  (Read 16588 times)

swimmingwiththefishes

Re: fraser region 2 closed for salmon tonight
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2015, 10:42:22 AM »

every bottom bouncer likely snags 5-20 socks a day depending on how long it takes them to get a spring.

Many do not get a chinook so they are just spending all their hours fishing and snagging sockeye that they can't keep.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 11:10:50 AM »

Just one question here - and a little bit of playing devils advocate.

The dfo surveys were done from height with helicopters doing a fly over, correct? They classify everyone holding a rod casting (other than fly guys) as a bottom bouncer as far as I know. Therefore, anyone tossing spoons or floating roe by their surveys are classified as non compliant. This would even be the case in the lower river, even though we all know you can't bottom bounce down there, and guys were most likely tossing spoons for early pinks.

It would be nice if DFO would actually post their reports and their standards for what they use to consider compliant and non. Those numbers could potentially be way out depending on their standards.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »

Good point Dan

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2015, 11:12:49 AM »

DanL, those are good questions and I'm sure will be brought up at the next SFAC meeting.

Just to add some more information to my previous post as I have been corrected a bit after discussing with my colleagues about today's closure. The main reason of the closure is that the run has now been downgraded so it is now at a size which does not provide any openings for all sectors. If First Nations are not given any additional communal sockeye salmon openings for this and upcoming weekends, it means the recreational sector's salmon fishery closes to avoid any by-catches of sockeye salmon since all fish are for conservation now. It's the only way to protect the run at the moment. So now the only salmon fishery which will occur in the next little while is First Nations' chinook salmon communal fishery.

The rec sector really needs to explore ideas on how to participate in the chinook fishery without impacting the sockeye fishery at all.

The other point I should brought up is compliance. Many here are suggesting there are lots of people not fishing selectively on the river. When we were out two days ago, the bar rods probably outnumbered bottom bouncing rods by 10 to 1. It was quite impressive. I guess it all depends on where you were fishing but don't generalize the whole fishery by what you are seeing in a small section of the river. The compliance rates I posted above are preliminary and some of the questions I posed when I saw the numbers include why spincasting is absent as a category in the count. Are we now counting all people holding a rod out there as bottom bouncers? Again, these are all up for discussion this fall.

Tylsie

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2015, 11:17:47 AM »

Although I fully agree that if people can't follow the rules there has to be consequences, the fact that they are not coming out and saying fully that the Flossers was the reason is BS. Hiding behind the severely reduced numbers and warmer water should of affected the other fishers on the river also. Removing thousands of fish from a system has a lot larger affect on the system then sport fishers. They should of implemented rolling closures starting at the nouth to allow fish to make it to certain points and allow other groups to catch if they wanted to make a real difference. But that is not the point, it is not about science or maintaining stocks. It is about the appearance of doing something while not rocking the boat.

Then there is the news coming out  USA. How is it that they are openly saying the rivers are closed because science has proven the fish are diseased and are not surviving. Imagine that; a sound, proven reason being openly shared explaining why decisions are being made. They must be crazy thinking that people can understand the such concepts and would actually be willing to do there part.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 05:20:12 PM »

The problem is that people were standing in exactly the same places and using exactly the same methods as they do when they are targeting sockeye during a sockeye opening, there can be no denying the fact that they were targeting sockeye.
Remember the flak we, fishforever, Gwyn and others took here, at some meeting Gwyn I attended and elsewhere when we forecast this would happen. The good part will be now that some new regulations will be pushed for to bring in some new regulations to curtail this blight on the fishing community.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2015, 10:12:34 AM »

DanL, those are good questions and I'm sure will be brought up at the next SFAC meeting.

Just to add some more information to my previous post as I have been corrected a bit after discussing with my colleagues about today's closure. The main reason of the closure is that the run has now been downgraded so it is now at a size which does not provide any openings for all sectors.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us in the loop, or at least as much as you are able or allowed to. Often govt management seems to operate in a black box, so any insight into the processes is very informative, at least to me. Management of salmon stocks against all the various interests is clearly no easy task, and the lack of transparency makes it not so obvious why certain decisions are made and results in frustration in the sportfishing community. Not meant as a criticism, just my personal perception.

norton

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 09:26:14 PM »

They should close all salmon fishing , period. Including ocean fishing. If the fresh water fishers have to stop fishing then salt water fishers should stop too.  I know salt water fishermen who have caught their possession limit , and taken there catch home , then gone back out fishing, to kill more salmon.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 07:30:37 AM »

They should close all salmon fishing , period. Including ocean fishing. If the fresh water fishers have to stop fishing then salt water fishers should stop too.  I know salt water fishermen who have caught their possession limit , and taken there catch home , then gone back out fishing, to kill more salmon.
Clearly someone who doesn't have a boat. Jealousy is unbecoming.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »

The supreme court of Canada has made it clear.Conservation trumps all other priorities.Shutting out one part of the Canadian citizenry while allowing others to fish and remove large numbers smacks of discrimination.There is either a conservation concern or there is not. FOC should not be flouting the law.You can not be a little bit pregnant.
Riverman

Dude

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »

I don't meant to sound stupid but I am new to fishing in the chuck  and am wondering if waters around tsawwassen  ferry terminal is part of region 2 fishing closures as we want to see if there are any pinks holding out there that we could try catching with buzz bombs
  I ask because I have tried the dfo website and it's so damn confusing so I just want to make sure if we allowed to fish out there or not.

Alomar

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2015, 12:31:25 PM »

Yes tsw. Ferry terminal is closed to all salmon fishing too

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2015, 09:57:02 PM »

If you KNOW of these fishermen.... http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/enf-loi/report-signaler-eng.htm

REPORT them!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2015, 10:12:24 PM »

I do remember that very well chris
but what I would like to know and im sure a lot of people on this site is who do we talk to and in what format is best suitable
there are a lot of good sound ideas here
but how do we effectively voice them to the proper authority that can make the necessary changes
do we march on mass to crissys office
or do we head for Ottawa on a boat train
who do we talk to

cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY