Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299135 times)

Dave

• Old Timer

Back in the day, I used to do entire shifts at the fish plant with a pair of tweezers pulling worms out of salt cod. They were easy to spot as they went brown in the pickle. We used to stick the fish over a lit box with a glass top. Never affected my love of salt cod and scrunchins and chow chow,- YUMMY!

So I'll bite, pun intended ;) what is that on your plate??

milo

• Old Timer

Hey Milo, the White Spring Sashimi God, you need to listen to your own words or worms in this case.  ;D Those are exactly the little gutt buggers that are in all salmonids - including your beautiful White Spring. Often these little worms start off as a little spec or ball that is easy to miss. I've popped a few of those little balls in the past to find a tiny worm.  :P So next time you have an itchy nose, ear, bum or throat - think of these worms and the wonderful White Spring sashimi or sushi and imagine if that's one wiggling around inside looking for some fresh air.  :o

Thanks for your concern bud.  :)
But all my fish regardless of the source and gastronomic purpose get the deep freeze treatment before consumption. And for the record, I don't consume white springs from the Vedder - not even silver chrome ones. They are the durian of the salmon - tasty, if you can put up with the smell. I can't. :(

Rieber

• Old Timer

Thanks for your concern bud.  :)
But all my fish regardless of the source and gastronomic purpose get the deep freeze treatment before consumption. And for the record, I don't consume white springs from the Vedder - not even silver chrome ones. They are the durian of the salmon - tasty, if you can put up with the smell. I can't. :(

That's the truth about the stinky Vedder pigs. But this species really increases in smell the further they go up the river systems. There are always exceptions but the warmer the water - the worse it gets. Personally for me even on the Fraser, if I happen to miss-identify a white from a red and open it up to find it a White, I will call it a day and give it to someone whomever wants it. The Spring would only be clean and fresh for me to kill it anyways and someone usually take a clean Spring offering. If I kill it, I still write up my licence whether I take the fish or give it away on shore. Anyways, I find worms in way more Sockeye than Springs.
I did occationally find moving worms working their way out of the flesh from fillets of freshly caught and smoked salmon. Had to pick those worms out and then froze the fillets for a couple weeks to be sure. Eventually learned to resist fresh smoked salmon and now freeze first before smoking.

milo

• Old Timer

Eventually learned to resist fresh smoked salmon and now freeze first before smoking.

That's what I always do.
Previously frozen salmon smokes much better than fresh. There is a scientific explanation to it but I can't remember it now.

dobrolub

More broken cell membranes?

ynot

• Old Timer

on that plate I see salted codfish, fried salt pork, onions, green pickles.  from newfoundland maybe nova scotia.

milo

• Old Timer

More broken cell membranes?
Dobrolub, I think you nailed it. The thawing process breaks more cell membranes and the flavours penetrate the meat more thoroughly and evenly. Thank you.

reeler

Escape the crowds, beeks, insane traffic, worms, lack of fish, claybanks, etc etc,. Costco Atlantic Salmon fillets are by far the finest
on the BBQ or in the smoker.

Dave

• Old Timer

Escape the crowds, beeks, insane traffic, worms, lack of fish, claybanks, etc etc,. Costco Atlantic Salmon fillets are by far the finest

LOL!!  Chris will love this post ;D

swimmingwiththefishes

I hear the Slice and antibiotics add a kind of a zesty tangy flavour....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:39:30 PM by swimmingwiththefishes »

John Revolver

Did my usual circut in the upper today. Water was extremely clear. Great conditions . Down below the claybanks it was much chalkier.

Directly above tamahi vis was only about a foot and a half very chalky water. The downpour  came. and i packed up.there was still some light when I made it to the crossing so I stopped for a look. River was rising very fast.

With this rain overnight The river will for sure blow out for tomorrow. Im still tempted to drive out as I have another day off from work but it might be a waste.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:56:38 PM by John Revolver »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Any update on water clarity after the hydrometer graph shot up with the rain today?

hue-nut

• Old Timer

fishable if you like under 12" of vis

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Nice medium flow. Good visibility from top to bottom. Bottom has a bit of color. Good conditions. Was very surprised by the amount of anglers out on a Monday in the middle of March. Usually the crowds diminish by now. Was low balled on a lower run this morning.I was following a nice older gentleman down the run, when this guy on the Yarrow side starting hollering at his buddy who was walking up the Rotary trail, to fish opposite of him on the Sardis side. Lol. Three beaks then emerged from the bush and starting fishing the tail out of the run we were working down too. Guy on Yarrow side starts hollering "fish the tail out"  "fish the tail out". Lol. Disgusted I left the area. Went up river and found every pullout with 2-3 cars parked. Fished a few more spots in between the pull outs and despite prime water conditions found no love or saw anyone else finding love. Cheers. Next time!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:19:01 PM by Wiseguy »

Dave

• Old Timer

Was low balled on a lower run this morning.I was following a nice older gentleman down the run, when this guy on the Yarrow side starting hollering at his buddy who was walking up the Rotary trail, to fish opposite of him on the Sardis side. Lol. Three beaks then emerged from the bush and starting fishing the tail out of the run we were working down too. Disgusted I left the area.
This, and the fact I can't bounce around on rocks like I used to do is pretty much why I stopped angling. Still like walking the river trails daily and will be counting fish in the upper river in about 2 weeks 8)