Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299160 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer

I heard its double double now from tamahi and down.

paul1971

How's it looking? Thinking about making the long drive if it's in shape. Any info is appreciated.

Stewie

Fished above tamahi today, visibility wasn't too bad, got better as day went on. Lower was muddy for sure.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

How's it looking? Thinking about making the long drive if it's in shape. Any info is appreciated.
From Surrey?

paul1971

South delta.

milo

• Old Timer

The itch to go out became unbearable (I haven't fished since last year), so today I decided to hit the river. I knew what I was getting myself into - no fish, high water level, poor visibility, yadda yadda yadda.

So I invited a new romantic interest to join me for a hike and I would just "casually" bring a fishing rod set up with my favourite artificial with me. And a backpack full of terminal tackle, of course. ;D

I drove all the way to the top to show her the hatchery and I was shocked not to see a single fish in the side channel. Not one! :o

Dave et alles: Is access to the hatchery now closed to the fish? How come there is no fish at all in the side channel? Forgive my ignorance if this is normal in early March.

After visiting the hatchery we did a couple of short circuits where we could walk by the river (we wore no waders). Then we did a long-ish hike from above Upper Wilson to behind "On the way" store and back. I was surprised to see how high the river was!
Also, quite a bit of bank erosion happened recently and there were some huge trees in the water that hadn't been there before (fresh falls). In quite a few spots the soil by the river is quite soft and unstable, so please BE CAREFUL when you walk or fish there.
Here's a pic I snapped with my old phone to give you an idea:

So yeah, the river was indeed high and fast. In fact, it is so high that the "barrel" at the Gun Barrel run is almost completely submerged. The visibility is so-so - maybe a foot in the mid river. And yes, there is no fish. No one I talked to saw or caught anything. Some old timers who fish the river regularly told me this is by far the worst steelhead season in memory.
It was still a nice day with very cooperative weather (as in no rain at all). I enjoyed being out and getting the jigs wet. But most importantly...she loved it! :)

Fishing-wise...doesn't look promising. :-\

Dave

• Old Timer

Milo, what few hatchery fish make it through the angling gauntlet don't usually show up at the hatchery till about mid to late April.  Stay tuned to what Buck and I see in the few spots we monitor in the upper river, beginning early April. We have 5 years of previous observations from the same sites and same dates ... should be interesting.

I plan to fish again next week, first time in 2 years; a retired FO and I plan to go out for a day or two and I have to say I am looking forward to it, but mainly for the friendship we developed over our years working together :)

Despite the seemingly fewer fish, it's still a beautiful river and I'm happy you two had a good day ;)

milo

• Old Timer

Thanks for the explanation Dave. I erroneously thought that hatchery steelhead would be trickling into the hatchery as early as January or February.
Good to learn you are getting back into the game. I hope to run into you on the flow. Nothing like local knowledge to augment my chances of impaling a hook in a steelhead's mouth. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Milo, what few hatchery fish make it through the angling gauntlet don't usually show up at the hatchery till about mid to late April.  Stay tuned to what Buck and I see in the few spots we monitor in the upper river, beginning early April. We have 5 years of previous observations from the same sites and same dates ... should be interesting.

I plan to fish again next week, first time in 2 years; a retired FO and I plan to go out for a day or two and I have to say I am looking forward to it, but mainly for the friendship we developed over our years working together :)

Despite the seemingly fewer fish, it's still a beautiful river and I'm happy you two had a good day ;)
That means I will be the only old timer not to wet a line for steelhead this season, even Lew has been out once. ;D ;D

But if I do get out I will get one on my first trip. ;D ;D ;D

tburns

That means I will be the only old timer not to wet a line for steelhead this season, even Lew has been out once. ;D ;D

But if I do get out I will get one on my first trip. ;D ;D ;D

In the 5 times I've been out I've caught 2, seen another 6 caught and seen others rolling.  I'm surprised when people say this is a bad year as it is easily the best I've experienced!  But maybe I'm just improving  :D

Rieber

• Old Timer

Great link Dave!

Apart from the yuck factor, they are harmless if you freeze or cook the fish properly. Raw fish is another story. I have seen them in quite a few sockeye, pink, coho and steelhead.
Never found any in a chum or chinook.  Probably just a matter of chance.

So if I am reading the article correctly, krill eat anisakis eggs, salmon eat krill, seals eat salmon, seals then host the parasites until they mate and hatch, and then the seals cupcakes anisakis eggs back into the ocean. Neat, eh?
So COOK OR FREEZE YOUR FISH THOROUGHLY!!

Somebody told me most salmonids have those beasties in their guts.

Hey Milo, the White Spring Sashimi God, you need to listen to your own words or worms in this case.  ;D Those are exactly the little gutt buggers that are in all salmonids - including your beautiful White Spring. Often these little worms start off as a little spec or ball that is easy to miss. I've popped a few of those little balls in the past to find a tiny worm.  :P So next time you have an itchy nose, ear, bum or throat - think of these worms and the wonderful White Spring sashimi or sushi and imagine if that's one wiggling around inside looking for some fresh air.  :o

Novabonker

• Old Timer

I've seen this parasite in many sockeye and a few coho, most often on the liver.  Still want to see pictures for a proper identification though ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis

Back in the day, I used to do entire shifts at the fish plant with a pair of tweezers pulling worms out of salt cod. They were easy to spot as they went brown in the pickle. We used to stick the fish over a lit box with a glass top. Never affected my love of salt cod and scrunchins and chow chow,- YUMMY!

http://

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Just a heads up to everyone, tomorrow there is a fishing derby on this system put on by the fire department. (for members) Were meeting at Lickman Rd parking lot first light to sign in so if you frequent that area expect it to be busy.

Howlongsyourleader

Edited
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:00:29 AM by Howlongsyourleader »
Have you seen my float?

Dave

• Old Timer

Good fishing for the past two days following a slow week prior. Hooked one yesterday after-eve and three this morning from 7-9am.
LOL!  and you wonder why the Vedder is crowded  ;D