Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299130 times)

SilverChaser

Not gonna lie, that was SO lucky  ;D nice to run into ya! I believe I follow you on Instagram also?
You almost tailed that one yesterday tho  ;) ... And to think I left that small side channel when I first past it lol
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Walleye76

Lol luck and timing are always good to have tho! Good to see you you as well, I believe I have seen you on IG so either you follow me or I follow you lol

M.Baiter

Every vedder hatch steelhead we've killed has been full of worms.  In the guts and the meat

bobby b

Gawd....Seriously?

Anyone else noticed this?

Dave

• Old Timer

any pictures?

Howlongsyourleader

I've killed and eaten a few this year and haven't found said worms. Perhaps I haven't been looking closely enough. What size are the worms that you speak off?
Have you seen my float?

M.Baiter

They are small 2-2.5". Not sure how to do pic

bobby b

2-2.5" aint exactly small  :o

M.Baiter

Look like bones till they curl up

Every Day

• Old Timer

That would be Anisakis.

I actually find that steelhead in general are the most affected/infected by this worm. I see it in literally every steelhead I've killed in the last 3-4 years. Some have it much more than others, but all of them have had at least a few. If you clean the fish right away (within 10-15 minutes), the meat shouldn't have any. Once the fish dies, the worms immediately start drilling their way out of the organs and into the flesh.

The next after that are pinks and then sockeye in my experience.

This is why you wouldn't want to eat fish raw unless it's been frozen for a while. Once frozen or cooked, it's completely fine to eat. Many people don't notice the worms when cleaning. Most of the time you'll see them just poking out of the rib cage when filleting fish.

Dave

• Old Timer

I've seen this parasite in many sockeye and a few coho, most often on the liver.  Still want to see pictures for a proper identification though ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis

milo

• Old Timer

Great link Dave!

Apart from the yuck factor, they are harmless if you freeze or cook the fish properly. Raw fish is another story. I have seen them in quite a few sockeye, pink, coho and steelhead.
Never found any in a chum or chinook.  Probably just a matter of chance.

So if I am reading the article correctly, krill eat anisakis eggs, salmon eat krill, seals eat salmon, seals then host the parasites until they mate and hatch, and then the seals cupcakes anisakis eggs back into the ocean. Neat, eh?
So COOK OR FREEZE YOUR FISH THOROUGHLY!!

Somebody told me most salmonids have those beasties in their guts.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

The river level graph shows a bump in water level. Any update on river clarity for lower or mid river after all that rain? Thanks.

CohoMan

• Old Timer

Was out from 830am to 1:30pm. Water was really good in the morning- around 3 feet visibility.

In the afternoon, it was about 2feet. No rain when I left.

Howlongsyourleader

2 ft of visibility above the crossing yesterday after/eve, heavy rain in Chilliwack this morning.
Have you seen my float?