Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299124 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Thanks for posting one of my favourite runs on an open public forum that hundreds of people read everyday.

Rain expected tonight. hopefully will bring the water levels up a bit

Is that where you caught that steelhead/coho ? ;D

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Thanks for posting one of my favourite runs on an open public forum that hundreds of people read everyday.

Oops.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

water is in great shape. really warm too. one of three for our group of three today.

Beauty fish! I have fished that spot many times this yr without any success. This one time when I was in band camp, I had a real good tap tap through that run, but could not get the fish to commit. Lol. That spot is easily identified for anyone who fishes the river a lot. It sees a lot of pressure every single day. There are cars parked at that pullout always. There are no secrets on the Vedd. Just have to be at the right place at th e right time!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:07:15 PM by Wiseguy »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Beauty fish! I have fished that spot many times this yr without any success. This one time when I was in band camp, I had a real good tap tap through that run, but could not get the fish to commit. Lol. That spot is easily identified for anyone who fishes the river a lot. It sees a lot of pressure every single day. There are cars parked at that pullout always. There are no secrets on the Vedd. Just have to be at the right place at the right  time!
Oops delete this post mods. Not sure what happened.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:09:53 PM by Wiseguy »

Every Day

• Old Timer

This yr has been tough. I been Steelheading 30+ plus yrs and have caught a few thousand steelhead in my lifetime so far. This yr? 20 times out fishing 4-6 hrs per day, covering a lot of water every time. I have not yet put a fish on the beach this season and have only hooked and lost 3 so far. Last yr I was into double digits this time last yr. Lol.

Has it really been that tough this year here as well? Island is dead, but I've had a few buddies who have been hammering them here, especially in the last 2 weeks.

I am back for the week... fished twice since I've been back. First day buddy and I landed a big bull and a steel (wild buck around 6 pounds) in a 4 hour trip. Yesterday I went out 2 hours and got 3 steel (2 to the beach) and a nice bow. Probably giving it one last try tomorrow as well before it blows out. Vedder has been better to me than the island this season (fish/hrs of effort), which I never thought I'd get a chance to say ::) lol.

I will say they are holding in odd water in the Vedder. The biggest tip from me would be to watch what the guys ahead of you are fishing and where. 2 of the 4 fish we've caught have been directly behind guys, specifically targeting the water we've watched them walk past. Deep/foamy/undercut runs or choppy pockets have been best with the low/clear water and sunny days. It's going to change quick here with the rain though.

milo

• Old Timer

So what? People have posted photos of MY favourite spots several times, YOU included.
No big deal. Those who know the river know where it is. Those who don't can only wonder.

Electroman

Over a month off and that's your first post back??
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:42:01 PM by Electroman »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Has it really been that tough this year here as well? Island is dead, but I've had a few buddies who have been hammering them here, especially in the last 2 weeks.

My buddies are hammering them on the island.

milo

• Old Timer

My buddies are hammering them on the island.

Not on the SSS.

DRP79

Ive been out 11 times now, 4-6 hours per trip, fishing a lot of nice water and I have not touched a steelhead yet. Not a bite. In those 11 trips, Ive only seen 2 fish caught by other people. Seems to be the same story most are telling according to the people Ive talked to on the river. Worse ways to kill a day though so I keep going back.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

As Chris said, if you'd like to learn more about steelheading, coming to Chilliwack's All About Fishing on March 12th at Chilliwack Heritage Park can help. Nick Basok, Rod Toth, and our own Every Day will all be there doing river fishing presentations. It'll be a good opportunity to ask all your questions and get expert advices on bait fishing, jig fishing and spoon fishing for steelhead all at once. Fish the morning then come to the event.

http://www.fraservalleysalmonsociety.ca/all-about-fishing.html

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer

Gonna find that spot one day!

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Ive been out 11 times now, 4-6 hours per trip, fishing a lot of nice water and I have not touched a steelhead yet. Not a bite. In those 11 trips, Ive only seen 2 fish caught by other people. Seems to be the same story most are telling according to the people Ive talked to on the river. Worse ways to kill a day though so I keep going back.
I've only seen one fish landed by another angler who was across the river from where I was. But hey in the grand scheme of things. One has good seasons and bad seasons. It's a bonus to be able to be out there and enjoying the river and the scenery.

SilverChaser

It's a bonus to be able to be out there and enjoying the river and the scenery.
+1 to that.

Nothing for my dad or I this morning and didn't hear of anything hooked or landed. Rain in the forecast for the week.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Walleye76

+1 to that.

Nothing for my dad or I this morning and didn't hear of anything hooked or landed. Rain in the forecast for the week.

You almost tailed that one yesterday tho  ;) ... And to think I left that small side channel when I first past it lol