Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299184 times)

Floater

• Old Timer

You are not alone Bobby.  I am on the same boat as your are.  I have been out at least 40 times in the last 2.5 years with no success   :( .
40 trip skunks happen more often than you would think, not much fish in the river winter time when people are trying to get that hatch.
[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Yup, that is what I do.

Been out at least 15-20 times now and nothing landed. Lost 2.  I have seen quite a few landed in areas that I fish.

Seriouly tho'....am I doing it wrong.... esp. with the float?

When I float for them, I just let the float drift, no hold back at all 'cept to keep the line up off the water.
My float sits up dead straight in the water, but I see almost every other fisher has the float almost laying flat on the surface and it sure looks like they are holding it back too.

i have not had anyone really 'educate' me on the Steelhead method, I just go by what I read on the interweb.... 'dead drift, dont hold back' .... but I am starting to doubt my 'technique'.

I toss out and get a sense of the depth and then shorten up by 1-2 ft, my leader is average 18-24 inches.  I peg a bead,  use a roe sack, pink and white worm, jig etc and switch 'em up fairly often. I start at the top of a run and work my way through it, starting close and working out farther.

Really I guess this post is just borne out of frustration..... or just plain bad luck.
Def not about to give up but it sure is a haul from Coquitlam to Chilliwack only to get skunked time after time.

:o :o :o
Come to the fishing show March 12,
 I am sure you will get some tips from the Pro's.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Yup, that is what I do.

Been out at least 15-20 times now and nothing landed. Lost 2.  I have seen quite a few landed in areas that I fish.

When I float for them, I just let the float drift, no hold back at all 'cept to keep the line up off the water.
My float sits up dead straight in the water, but I see almost every other fisher has the float almost laying flat on the surface and it sure looks like they are holding it back too.

i have not had anyone really 'educate' me on the Steelhead method, I just go by what I read on the interweb.... 'dead drift, dont hold back' .... but I am starting to doubt my 'technique'.

I toss out and get a sense of the depth and then shorten up by 1-2 ft, my leader is average 18-24 inches.  I peg a bead,  use a roe sack, pink and white worm, jig etc and switch 'em up fairly often. I start at the top of a run and work my way through it, starting close and working out farther.

Really I guess this post is just borne out of frustration..... or just plain bad luck.
Def not about to give up but it sure is a haul from Coquitlam to Chilliwack only to get skunked time after time.

Sounds to me your doing nothing wrong. Perhaps a tweak or two is needed that is all. Observe and ask questions. This yr has been tough. I been Steelheading 30+ plus yrs and have caught a few thousand steelhead in my lifetime so far. This yr? 20 times out fishing 4-6 hrs per day, covering a lot of water every time. I have not yet put a fish on the beach this season and have only hooked and lost 3 so far. Last yr I was into double digits this time last yr. Lol.

bobby b

Ok.... I'll keep at it.

Plus side is, rain or shine, fish or no fish, it is bloody brilliant just being out there. We sure are lucky in this part of the world....
I am in constant awe of the beauty of BC ....I find myself on occasion just exclaiming "damn, look where I am"!!!

Kudos on your success SilverChaser

SilverChaser

Kudos on your success SilverChaser
Thank you! It really is a lot of luck as well, and this year is a bit of an off year. Just been super lucky this week. Keep at it!
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

The words of a Sage.....

bcguy

This is my brother's first year steelhead fishing so I have been desperately trying to get him into one whenever he comes out. Hooked one last night, rod handed over, played out, leader snaps at shore, gone. Hooked one today, rod handed over, played out, go to tail her, the leader snaps and she narrowly escapes my grasp. Making it interesting  ;D water is really nice colour right now.
Seen you guys with that fish on last night
Good on you for giving your brother a taste of the excitement of a Steely on the end of a line
He sure was excited
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:33:01 PM by bcguy »
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

dave c

Yup, that is what I do.

It seems to me you are doing everything right.  The only thing I could suggest is that quite often in clear conditions the water is actually quite deeper than it looks.  As I mostly fish jigs I will set the depth by purposely tapping bottom a few times and then shorten depth beneath float.  I am amazed how often the water is actually 2 to 3 feet deeper than it appears to me.  Using this method I can be sure that I am in the strike zone.

dave c

You seem to be doing everything right.  The only thing I could suggest is with regard to the depth of your presentation.  You say you get a sense of the depth.  In clear conditions I find quite often the water is actually quite deeper than it appears to me.  Since I mostly fish jigs, when arriving on a run I will set the depth to what I think is right, then I will purposely increase the depth until my jig taps bottom a few times then adjust the depth accordingly to make sure I am in the strike zone.  I am amazed  how many times my initial guess at the depth is off by 2 to 3 feet.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

water is in great shape. really warm too. one of three for our group of three today.

Tangles

x2
I also fish mostly jigs and follow that same routine Dave C, quite a few times my jig at 4-5 feet float to jig is already tapping bottom while everyone else around is at 9ft with the sideways floats, quite a few oldtimers too and yes, they do pull fish in front of me all the time lol   ;D

TheLostSockeye

water is in great shape. really warm too. one of three for our group of three today.

Thanks for posting one of my favourite runs on an open public forum that hundreds of people read everyday.

Rain expected tonight. hopefully will bring the water levels up a bit

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

dude calm down. it was just a scenery shot. no fish were pulled out of there. all our fish were caught lower. why do you assume everyone knows where that is. better watch out, 100's of people going to be there tomorrow.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Thanks for posting one of my favourite runs on an open public forum that hundreds of people read everyday.

Rain expected tonight. hopefully will bring the water levels up a bit

Hello pot, meet kettle!

big_fish

• I'm a llama!

lol the kettle is boiling again.