Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299200 times)

VirtualFisher

I fished upper river for 2 hrs and didn't get any bite.  I then went to mid river, Tamahi Rapid,  and was very discouraged of the high and poor visibility of the water.  Standing on a big rock, I made the first cast only 3 feet away from where I stood. As I reeled in the line, I didn't notice any bite, only to see the float started going up stream.  I set the hook and surprisingly, there was a big tug at the end of the line. Fished on!!!!  I looked around trying to find a spot to land the fish and I realized that there was no way I could get the fish to shore  :-\. Fighting the fish for about 3 minutes, I decided to climb off the rock hoping that I could land the fish.  As soon as I sit down and stumbled my way off the rock, there was a strong pull on the line, then it became loose.  The fish was gone >:( >:(.

Feeling disappointed, I made the second cast and as soon as the float got to the same spot, to my surprise it went down quickly.  Fished on again, but this time I was able to keep it at the end of the line for about 30 seconds.  I fished for another hour and nothing happened. I fished 6 inch pink worm with a bit of white yarn tied to the egg loop.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:02:16 PM by VirtualFisher »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Good conditions today. The river is up with a good 2ft visibility below the Sleese clay banks. Very slow fishing with lots of pressure.Multiple cars in all the pull outs. Several rafters as well drifting the mid section. Did not see a single fish or hear of any taken in the spots I fish on a regular basis. Heard yesterday was better fishing with 6 fish weighed into Freds.

HOOK

• Old Timer

Poor dad. :-(

2nd fish of the day I hooked 5' in front of him after telling him to back up because he was almost stepping off the small drop off (difference of maybe 8-10"). When I follow others downstream I regularly fish everything they have ignored or missed. It pays off a lot more than you'd think because often I feel the fish get spooked into spots they wouldn't normally sit which perhaps causes them to be in a pissy mood because they usually hit with wreckless abandon  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Floater

• Old Timer

Man forecast says its gona be raining for a while. . .oh well it will only bring more fish into the system.
[

eager_rookie

Was pretty muddy out there yesterday below Tamahi. Maybe 2-6 inches of vis.

Drewhill

Man forecast says its gona be raining for a while. . .oh well it will only bring more fish into the system.

I think that's why some guys are saying it's been a decent start to the season and a lot are saying it's the slowest they've ever seen. Most of the days I've been out the conditions have been crap so fishing has been slow even for the top rods that are out but for the guys lucky enough to get out at the right time, there's been pushes of fish but a short amount of time to get them.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:09:40 PM by Drewhill »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

timing is everything. the season started slow during that cold spell in early january , but as soon as the first storm came it pushed fish into the system. our group of 3 guys including me have been into 4 in 3 trips on weekends only. not awesome numbers but not bad considering the 2 guys im fishing with are on there first season of steelheading. 2 steelheading cherries cracked in the first few trips is darn good in my opinion. i have fished with guys in the past that took a season or 2 to get into one.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Was out today this afternoon and the river was high but fishable with a 1-2 foot visibility below the Slesse clay banks. Not many guys in the mid section areas where I fish. Did not see any fish landed. Been a slow start this season for myself. Have hooked a couple but yet to land a fish.This time last year I was into double digits fishing the same spots. Refuse to fish the meat holes (Brown road, Lickman road) with the hordes.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Heavy rain the last few hours, another washout tomorrow. Mild too.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

River up 3 feet and rising but the rain has stopped now, mild too so snow level way up.

Floater

• Old Timer

River up 3 feet and rising but the rain has stopped now, mild too so snow level way up.
Hope that clay slide held up, looked like a nuclear bomb went off in the area.
[

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

River is a mess. Chocolate brown and roaring through the crossing area. There is a couple of big trees washed up on the bar below the cliff on the Yarrow side. That bar is completely under water right now. Unreal.

CohoMan

• Old Timer

With the warm weather, snow will start to melt soon too. That's it for the weekend fishermen- time to gather some brownie points for future trips.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

You weekend warriors have really got the shaft this year.... ;D :P

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

You weekend warriors have really got the shaft this year.... ;D :P
Some people have to work for a living.