Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299153 times)

SilverChaser

Dad went 1/3 this morning; the one he landed was approx. 14lbs or so and a wild. And of course I was stuck at school.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Sandman

• Old Timer

Dad went 1/3 this morning; the one he landed was approx. 14lbs or so and a wild. And of course I was stuck at school.

I hope he did not run it in too hard.
Not all those who wander are lost

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Given how much you've apparently been out recently, forgive me if I don't feel bad for you. LOL

SilverChaser

Given how much you've apparently been out recently, forgive me if I don't feel bad for you. LOL
Hahahaha, I don't blame you. However, im only really able to fish weekends  ;D
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

HOOK

• Old Timer

On the fly?

Looking fwd to see some of your new creations(flies).

No I have been fishing the pin so far this year because of the low and clear water I wanted to fish a small presentation which has been paying off even though the water was very clear the day of my last landed fish (31st) which was taken on this fly. I'm calling it the Magic Trick because it was only in the water for 3 swings before it struck gold !!

Edit - The one I got my fish on was the exact same as the picture however I omitted the pink/white Lady Amherst from the pattern.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:15:33 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Any update on the current water clarity?

Nicolas The Fisherman

Any update on the current water clarity?
River was in good shape this AM with good clarity but it will likely blow out again due to the rainfall expected tomorrow through the weekend.

yoda

Water was awesome today! Saw a hatch get bonked across from me today at first stop. I managed to get a hatch to shore but it was not size worthy for tagging. Good i let it go, cause within 5 more casts The float slammed down hard with a much larger fish only to give a couple of head shakes and gone. Of course that drew some attention and it got a little bit claustrophobic after that so I went to next stop.
Was a great timing move because after only 15 min, and only four of us around, guys at both sides of the river had a double header going.
And then I look up river and another guys got one on! Ended up two were wild and one was about a 12lb hatch this nice fly guy let go!
I did manage to get stripped of shrimp twice but no hatches today. Great day today.

Gabo

• Fish On!

Water was awesome today! Saw a hatch get bonked across from me today at first stop. I managed to get a hatch to shore but it was not size worthy for tagging. Good i let it go, cause within 5 more casts The float slammed down hard with a much larger fish only to give a couple of head shakes and gone. Of course that drew some attention and it got a little bit claustrophobic after that so I went to next stop.
Was a great timing move because after only 15 min, and only four of us around, guys at both sides of the river had a double header going.
And then I look up river and another guys got one on! Ended up two were wild and one was about a 12lb hatch this nice fly guy let go!
I did manage to get stripped of shrimp twice but no hatches today. Great day today.

That does sound awesome... I've been so many times, I'm running out of fingers to count and yet to see the float even go down. Hopefully the weekend holds up weather wise and get a shot at my first steelhead.

bobby b

I had one on yesterday, first time ever!

Got to a run that 2 others were already working. 1 guy at the head and 1 mid run. I went above the guy at the head and sat down, had some tea and waited till he moved along. Both dudes worked along to the end of the run and packed up and left. Had the rest of the run to myself.

I got to btwn mid section and tail out..........

Float just slammed down , the battle was on....water was super clear, so chrome flashing everywhere...... then some aerial acrobatics... awesome 

My heart was pumping at the sheer shock of actually getting a hit, after not so much as a sniff on sooo many outings already this season!

Then........ my damn leader broke !!!! 
Right at the point where my last split shot was crimped on.....arrgh !! 
I didn't think I crimped it on so hard as to damage the line but yah , I must have.

12lb Seaguar STS , first time using flouro leaders , are they more susceptible to this kinda thing?!

I was so bummed ...... but still somewhat thrilled at finally hooking into my first ever steelhead. I can still see that flash of chrome in my mind.

Time for another 1000 casts..... 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:37:49 AM by bobby b »

Gabo

• Fish On!

Damn! Sorry for your loss.. ;)  Ive tried putting a split shot on my leader once (fluoro) when fishing for springs and the same thing happened. I hear that fluorocarbon is like glass... by crimping a split shot on to it, you cracked it in a way causing a weak point.

Drewhill

Lots of rain coming down and water is rising. Be surprised if it's even that fishable this weekend considering how long it's been taking to clear up after past rainfalls.

fic

• Old Timer

12lb Seaguar STS , first time using flouro leaders , are they more susceptible to this kinda thing?!

Did you moisten the part where the knot was formed? It can get brittle/damaged if you tie a knot when the line is completely dry.

bobby b

Yup, I did. The break was right at the split shot though....the shot was still on the line, the break was right at the edge of the shot

Tenz85

When lead is warmer, it is softer and less likely to put a knick in the line. you could probably go up in the fluoro size because it's so clear.