Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299129 times)

TheLostSockeye

anyone already post

Rippin Rodney ?? ::) ::)

dave c

Backlash Billy

MetalAndFeathers

Kingpin kolby??

SilverChaser

A million guys in every spot, low holed twice, guys blowing past you in a run to fish water you haven't hit, and not a single fish hooked yet this season. Same old song and dance.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Nicolas The Fisherman

More snow in the forecast for tonight into tomorrow with 4-8cm expected. Be careful on those roads if you're heading out to the river tomorrow.

SilverChaser

River clarity is really clear. Fished a spot today at least 8 feet deep and could see the bottom clear as day.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

wizard

Good to see a couple Conservation Officers out at the river yesterday.  Had a good chat with them, nice fellows.   

Fished all day didn't hook into anything or get any solid hits. 

Saw one guy walking with his bud with his rod packed up, back pouch on vest looking full, lucky guy. 

Drewhill

The recent rain (Slush...snow -> Melting)  should bring in more STEELHEAD

GOOD LUCK ALL!

Levels haven't gone up at all, not sure it will make a difference.

TheLostSockeye

Was out today water is super clear. Fished a seam today that days prior held fish in it. No luck. Was really nice out there though!

Water super low
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:09:18 PM by Rodney »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

The hatchery steelhead discussion has been moved to:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=39208.0

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

I am reading the river level at the Vedder Crossing station showing only 1.63m. Haven't seen the river that low in beginning January for years. Most years around this time the level hovers around 2.00m. The recent dry and cold temperature just drops the river so much, and yesterday's rain hasn't done anything to raise the level. Looks like good steelheading days on the C/V are still quite a way unless you have a boat to fish the mouth.

stsfisher

I am reading the river level at the Vedder Crossing station showing only 1.63m. Haven't seen the river that low in beginning January for years. Most years around this time the level hovers around 2.00m. The recent dry and cold temperature just drops the river so much, and yesterday's rain hasn't done anything to raise the level. Looks like good steelheading days on the C/V are still quite a way unless you have a boat to fish the mouth.

This 1.63 can be a little bit miss leading. No doubt the river is very low this year, but you must also consider the changes that have taken place on the river. those changes could also have effected the location were the meter reads the water height. The water depth may not be the same or the water may not enter the same in this location. Probably another thing to look at would be the discharge rates of water flow. This may help with determining the amount of water year to year.
Now I could be completely wrong as I don't really know how these hydro meter stations work, just something to think about. 

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

If I'm not mistaken.
Those little orange bouys strung above and across the river just below the X-ing is where the level is monitored.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 09:59:22 PM by chris gadsden »

Howlongsyourleader

Lower levels have revealed lots of new haunts and lies.
Have you seen my float?