Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299244 times)

Nicolas The Fisherman

Starting to snow again here in Chilliwack. Snowfall warnings have been issued for the Fraser Valley and parts of the LM with 5-10cm expected so be extra careful on those roads if you plan on heading out. Here's the link https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc40#1120344111837851086201512270502ww1171cwvr

fishallday

The snow is coming down hard don't know if the conditions will hold up
life's short stunt it

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

The snow is coming down hard don't know if the conditions will hold up
And roads getting covered now and slippery in places. A good time to stay in and watch football and hockey.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Snow continues to fall, may have a foot by tomorrow.

turbine

When fishing with roe, what size hook should I be using?

dobrolub

Well, I was using 1/0 today and I probably will be using smaller hooks next time, because I nearly killed a small fish with 1/0 hook today. It was a 15 inch hatch rainbow or something... Unlikely a steelhead. I fished small roe chunks.

I released the fish but will it survive? The hook went in close to its eye. The eye remained intact. Yet, it looked confused as it tried to find its way out into the deeper water.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 04:16:24 PM by dobrolub »

fishallday

smaller hooks don't always mean better i have had fish swallow a hook hole and then there is no saving the fish.
and I use a 1/0 or size 2 depending on water clarity
life's short stunt it

Dave

• Old Timer

Guess it depends where you are .. in Sardis there might be 1" of slush but when I was out by the canal earlier today there was a lot more and it was accumulating.  Out of town anglers planning to fish the C-V tomorrow might want to check the latest conditions.

SilverChaser

Went out for a few hours today but no look. Found some awesome looking water though. Chilliwack Lake Road was absolute crap... saw 3 cops, 2 ambulance, and 2 firetrucks rush by too.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

TheLostSockeye

smaller hooks don't always mean better i have had fish swallow a hook hole and then there is no saving the fish.
and I use a 1/0 or size 2 depending on water clarity

No saving the fish??? It's quite simple if the hook is very deep and you aren't allowed to retain the fish simply cut your leader off. Tie a new hook on. Do not try and preform surgery.

Saw a jeep rolled off the road in the ditch today on Chilliwack lake Rd. Roads are very slick be careful out there people!!!

Had some luck today  ::)

Was snowing all day! So beautiful out on the river !!!!!

fishallday

good to hear you had luck might have to try my luck tommorrow upper or lower feel free to keep it to your self  ;)

No saving the fish??? It's quite simple if the hook is very deep and you aren't allowed to retain the fish simply cut your leader off. Tie a new hook on. Do not try and preform surgery.

Saw a jeep rolled off the road in the ditch today on Chilliwack lake Rd. Roads are very slick be careful out there people!!!

Had some luck today  ::)

Was snowing all day! So beautiful out on the river !!!!!
[/quote]
life's short stunt it

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

No where near, in the Valley floor maybe 2 inches but the melt is now on with the sun shinning. ;D

SilverChaser

Nothing but a whitefish for me today.

Had the biggest piss off... floated through a spot about 15 times or so. Buddy walks in, and so I move down to keep fishing the run. Levelwind Larry here throws on a prawn... first cast.... WAM! 8-10 lb hatch. He's doing the happy dance as i'm swearing under my breath...
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

LOL I hate when that happens. On the other hand, I love catching fish behind a guy. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Nothing but a whitefish for me today.

Had the biggest piss off... floated through a spot about 15 times or so. Buddy walks in, and so I move down to keep fishing the run. Levelwind Larry here throws on a prawn... first cast.... WAM! 8-10 lb hatch. He's doing the happy dance as i'm swearing under my breath...
Well at least you saw one.