Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299201 times)

mvelasco

Sounds like I need some bigger flies come Christmas day....challenge accepted!

banx

pressure is one river variable I never experienced until I moved to the lower mainland.

I fished the vedder exclusively when I first got here and I could never match my numbers from up north. not even close.  It wasn't till I started thinking about how to avoid the actual pressure that these fish see that my numbers went up a bit.

so alot of walking, and over the last two years less and less time on the vedder and more on other flows. where the fish don't see 35 presentations every km.

those of you that hook 10+ steel a season on the vedder need to make a trip up north if you haven't already..... find the time, find the money. make it happen.  if you have developed your skills enough to light up the vedder everywhere else will be soooooooooo easy for you, and so much fun.

SilverChaser

those of you that hook 10+ steel a season on the vedder need to make a trip up north if you haven't already..... find the time, find the money. make it happen.  if you have developed your skills enough to light up the vedder everywhere else will be soooooooooo easy for you, and so much fun.

Wow  :o
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Dave

• Old Timer

So true!!  A couple of guys I used to fish with in the late 60's, early 70's, Ron Tetreau and Keith Temple, were superb anglers (I still think Temple is the best steelhead angler I have seen and certainly the best I have fished with - he caught more behind me than me ahead of him) moved to the Skeena country and became local legends with their angling skill.

I have always said if you can catch fish on the Vedder consistently, you can catch fish anywhere.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 03:16:26 PM by Dave »

Drewhill

Just left the upper and it was really getting cloudy. Maybe the slide at Borden came down.

SilverChaser

Crossed the Vedder Crossing and honestly the colour/clarity didnt look too bad. Forecast looks like snow starting tonight.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good

Crossed the Vedder Crossing and honestly the colour/clarity didnt look too bad. Forecast looks like snow starting tonight.
Snowing in Langley north of HWY1 now...

bobby b

Fished the upper mostly today, vis was good.

no luck though.

Saw a bobcat as I was leaving the river.... east of Alison. That was kinda cool
Spooked it (and myself) on the trail from the river to the road. It casually sauntered off, didn't  look too worried.

Mid river down looked really cloudy.... lots of clay silt deposit on all the rocks in the shallows
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:29:01 PM by bobby b »

fishallday

how long do you guys think the water quality will be bad would love to go out tomorrow but this look ruff
life's short stunt it

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

how long do you guys think the water quality will be bad would love to go out tomorrow but this look ruff
From my experience with these slides in the past, when you got rain falling on the slide material the conditions were bad below the active slides.

Unfortunately we are not going to have good water like we have had for the last few years partly due to the work done by the Chilliwack River Action Committee that did work on some of these slides. That certainly helped for a number of years. Some people think it was a waste of time and money but it did improve things for a number of years for anglers and the habitat for many species of fish.

With the CRAC now disbanded it will be nature left to do the work that will take time.

fishallday

hmmm I see and hows the fishing above the slide to early for steelhead so high up, and what about any bull trout ?

From my experience with these slides in the past, when you got rain falling on the slide material the conditions were bad below the active slides.

Unfortunately we are not going to have good water like we have had for the last few years partly due to the work done by the Chilliwack River Action Committee that did work on some of these slides. That certainly helped for a number of years. Some people think it was a waste of time and money but it did improve things for a number of years for anglers and the habitat for many species of fish.

With the CRAC now disbanded it will be nature left to do the work that will take time.
life's short stunt it

Nicolas The Fisherman

River looking pretty decent this morning. Picture is from Fred's Custom Tackles Facebook page.

Silex-user

pressure is one river variable I never experienced until I moved to the lower mainland.

I fished the vedder exclusively when I first got here and I could never match my numbers from up north. not even close.  It wasn't till I started thinking about how to avoid the actual pressure that these fish see that my numbers went up a bit.

so alot of walking, and over the last two years less and less time on the vedder and more on other flows. where the fish don't see 35 presentations every km.

Yeah I know whats it like. I still make my annual trip ( 1 week trip)once awhile up to Haida Gwaii to hunt deer and steelhead fishing. The numbers of steelhead, cutthroat and bulltrout/ Dolly Varden I catch is unbelievable compare to lowermainland rivers I fished in one season. Being going up there for 21 years.

Silex-user

SilverChaser

Hiked a few km and fished a few runs but nothing to show for. Water around Allison is excellent.

Twitchy

So this happened today.