Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 47

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 299120 times)

stsfisher

You would never catch me doing this through a fresh slide. You have no idea where any crazy sink holes, deep spots or other types of hidden dangers there could be.

I remember Rod (bent rod) telling me about getting stuck in that same very slide years ago when it came down huge and said it was scary because he was alone and got lucky getting out as he was sinking slowly. I too have stepped into sink holes along the Chehalis and Norrish rivers due to their soft and unstable substrate, it's no fun going from solid ground to over your knees or more instantly. I even had it happen again on my last fishing excursion and thankfully a buddy was within reach as I went past my knees in about 2 seconds and was still sinking fast and I could not feel anything solid under my feet  :o

Anyone hear of the guy on Norrish this year that got stuck up to his waist in the mud, while the river was on the rise and S&R had to come get him because his buddies couldn't pull him out !! scary stuff

I agree, this has got to be the ( for lack of better words) dumbest things I have scene. Not saying you are dumb Hlyl, but really you couldn't resist the temptation or the curiosity? This slide is no joke, and maybe someone needs to stand at the gate to stop access for those that can't seem to use common sense.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Was notified today machines and engineers on their way to check out the area.

steelheaderpin

Is the river still fishable below the slide? Any vis at all or straight chocolate milk.

TheLostSockeye

Is the river still fishable below the slide? Any vis at all or straight chocolate milk.

Not really. Pretty bad vis. (Course one can fish and catch in any clarity)
No chocolate. It's earl grey and a lot of milk.

Drewhill

There was vis below the slide, 12-18" though. It's certainly fishable with a bit bigger presentation like roe or pink worms. With the cold weather over night it might be a bit better in the morning.

b8floater

Did a river report today and got some footage of the slide, with a little shoutout to Chris ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAZFA8ly9uQ

nosey

I don't know what happened yesterday afternoon but when I crossed Tamihi bridge at around 2:45 the river had changed to chocolate brown with no visibility at all, it was a sudden change because I had been fishing in 12 to 18 inches of visibility since 9:00 in the morning, must of been something let loose upstream.

banx

Tons of guys in the upper today. Was an absolute gong show up there so went mid and lower. Water is cloudy but fishable.

in december on a weekday.  wow.

Nicolas The Fisherman

Hopefully things clear up a bit for the Boxing Day Derby. :-\

sugartooth

I don't know what happened yesterday afternoon but when I crossed Tamihi bridge at around 2:45 the river had changed to chocolate brown with no visibility at all, it was a sudden change because I had been fishing in 12 to 18 inches of visibility since 9:00 in the morning, must of been something let loose upstream.
[/quote

There was an excavator clearing the slide off the road yesterday at about that time. All he could do to clear the road was to push the soupy mess over the bank and into the river.

sugartooth

There was an excavator clearing the slide off the road yesterday at about that time. All he could do to clear the road was to push the soupy mess over the bank and into the river.

clarkii

• Old Timer

in december on a weekday.  wow.
Keep in mind Christmas is on Friday.

In fisheries we had a guest lecturer come in, one of the region 3 FLNRO guys.  He mentioned that the weekend is in a number of instances now less busy then the week!

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Not in my experiences.
I get violently ill thinking about having to fish on weekends.

Every Day

• Old Timer

I completely disagree with that statement, that weekends are less busy than weekdays. If you can even potentially believe that, you obviously don't fish enough on either weekdays or weekends. I almost don't bother with weekends now, both here and on the "busy" Vancouver Island flows. The pressure differences are insane!

On a weekday on the stamp you might see 2 guys... weekends there are 20 in the same spot. Same thing goes for the Vedder... Maybe it's different on region 3 lakes and streams...

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

I believe he was referring to the Christmas long weekend in particular where a number of regular anglers spend time with family and friends.

I don't have any, so I'll be fishing 8)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 47