Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye hatchery?  (Read 2818 times)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Sockeye hatchery?
« on: August 19, 2007, 10:34:24 AM »

Hi everyone - so I am sitting here pondering the fate of these wonderful fish, and I had to ask a question

do any hatcheries produce sockeye? If so, should the government, or various departments responsible not begin promoting a hatchery program for sockeye? Do they not do well int he hatchery program?

my two cents - thanks
Vince
You don't make friends with salad.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Re: Sockeye hatchery?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »

Cultus and Sakinaw are already in hatcherys to name a couple.
Big dollars, lots of problems.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 05:23:13 PM »

Used to be many sockeye hatchery in the past.  It's costs more than regular chinook, coho, chum, pink hatchery.  Sockeye has a common kidney disease that require very labour intensive care in handling process, so not to spread the disease.

Unlike our neighbouring FN bands (Sto:lo and Cheam in particular), many of the northern FN bands partake salmon habitat and restoration projects.  Emily Creek - by Heitsuk Band is involved in sockeye habitat restoration and hatchery program (started in 1977), and Kitasoo First Nationss - Victor Creek, Oweekeno Nation - Wannock River, Snootli Creek Hatchery (1979).

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 09:38:09 PM »

There was a large one on the upper Pitt River. The same government department that wants us to believe that fish farms are not harming our wild salmon, and that global warming is root of all our fish stock problems, closed it. Why? They said we don't need it.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:15:43 PM »

The Pitt Hatchery was closed for health and safety reasons as it would have cost too much to fix the infrastructure. That being said, all of the sockeye that were produced there are now produced at Inch Creek hatchery in Mission. That facility was expanded to accomendate Pitt and endangered Cultus sockeye. I don't know who said we don't need it but that is incorrect. The work is still being done, just from a different site.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:26 PM »

There are no socks at Inch Creek.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:36:02 PM »

Clarki's right, Inch does not produce any sockeye, it's focus' in coho, chinook, chum, steelhead production.   The only place in LM that are into sockeye is the Weaver Creek Spawning Channel, and the very limited hatchery production for Cultus Lake.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:58:05 AM »

No clarki is wrong.

http://www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/mediacentre/pittriver_e.htm  Read the final paragraph.

My apologies bkk, I stand corrected.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 09:46:32 AM »

seeing that bbk works for DFO (and has for 20 something years I think) at the Tenderfoot creek hatchery on the Cheakamus, I would venture to guess his info is bang on like he usually is on issues involving DFO on the lower mainland

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 12:25:47 PM »

Oh wow, for once it's good to be wrong, 1 more sockeye hatchery.