Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing lakes next week  (Read 2224 times)

chrisc54

fishing lakes next week
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »

Hey everyone i just bought a pontoon wilderness boat and i am super eager to get out onto one of the lakes, (grace, francis,wood) wherever, open to suggestons. Ovbiously right now its snowing but it is calling for sun and 7 degrees later next week, is it worth it giving it a go this time of year?? any tips on flys would be great aswell, i am new to fly fishing. thanks

sbc hris

Re: fishing lakes next week
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »

Launch that bad boy in a slough and chase the cutties around 8)

chrisc54

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:13:47 AM »

never fished any sloughs, do you have any suggestions??? thanks bud

sbc hris

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »

I would try Nicomen. Lots of water to explore if nothing else.

Chuck

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:41:35 AM »

Whats Nicomen like for shore access? Easy to fish from it or is a boat required?

sandy999

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:31:04 AM »

A boat will certainly give you more options, but there is plenty of access from the shore on both sides of the sloughs. Be sure to check the tides, if there is a large tide change on a ebb tide, pay attention or you will end up in the Fraser. Nicomen has always fished better for me on a flood tide regardless. There used to be a real nice ramp at the mouth of the slough on the west side of the slough but the last time I was there, because there was so much damage done  they put a gate across the road into the parking lot. But with your pontoon boat you may be able to park in the gate area and carry your boat in. There are many other places to launch but most of them are quite steep.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:28:21 AM »

Cutthroat are real wanderers and you never know where you might find them. The Fraser makes new sloughs every year and it is surprising the dead looking places that hold fish. I caught 20 one day out of a little, shallow back channel that most of the time I would ignore had I not see a trout jump.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 10:03:13 AM »

You could toss your pontoon into the slough up near the bridge leading into Deroche. nice area to launch at and just work your way up/down stream. No worry of getting sucked into the Fraser and there is usually some trout hanging out up there but its your job to find them

IF your decent on the oars you could fish the Stave but your pontoon would be more like a vehicle to move from island to island allowing you to cover a lot more water than any shore guy. Just be careful when you get near the car/train bridge because the Fraser will start to suck you out down that far.

Fraser back waters are another good option. They can change yearly and it takes exploring to find them. Most are fished by foot but I'm sure there is some where a pontoon or small watercraft would be helpful.

You could put in at Kilby park and row yourself around in the bay there fishing the feeder creek mouths as well. This I have heard can be a great place if timed right.

fishing Cutties is more hunting than fishing in my experience. Payoffs can be plentiful though

Tip - if you have an electric motor to use on your pontoon it will be helpful in some of these places but DO NOT forget your oars
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/