Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis Friday October 27th  (Read 5951 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chehalis Friday October 27th
« on: October 28, 2006, 08:14:08 AM »

Sorry for the late report but after getting back from the river yesterday late afternoon we had to dash off to the Environment Minister's fund raising dinner in Harrison. As while I was very tired after an early morning duck hunt that yielded 4 plump mallards, out of a local corn field, on 4 shots too. ;D Sorry I should not be boasting as a bad streak could befall me, just like coho fishing.

Just got home in time to change and had to then return back over the Agassiz Rosdale Bridge to the Harrison Hotel, glad Buckeye was driving. ;D

Anyway with the heavy rains yesterday and the Vedder marginal I phoned Lew to see if he was interested to go, which he was. ;D We headed over after lunch and got there around 2 giving us a little over 2 hours to fish.

On the way over Mt Woodside on Highway #7 we came upon a traffic mishap, a van had collided with a school bus, luckily there was no injuries, I phone radio CKWX and gave a alert as the collision was on a bad corner. With the kids still on board we certainly did not want to see another mishap. It was lucky that some logging trucks missed it as it was on a very steep grade but people were quick thinking and were setting warning signs and flagging. Things seemed in hand so we did not stop. 5 minutes after filing the report we heard it on the radio. I am glad they did not say that it was a school bus from the Chilliwack area as it would have unnecessary concerned the kid's loved ones that may have heard it on the air waves. Good reporting and thing by the 1130 news room staff. It certainly is a good station to listen to with traffic reports every 10 minutes.

Back to fishing, we arrived at the Easter seal and we could not believe it as only 2 people there, Lew and I commented that will be the fewest anglers the run will see for a while.

Conditions were perfect and I thought my coho slump would certainly end. My hopes were heightened as I had two take downs in the first drift, not sure if they were coho or one of the many chum we could see slipping by, on their way to the canyon area no less.

The two hours slipped by very quickly, we wished we did not have to leave. I had 2 more chances including briefly tyeing into a buck chum

We saw 2 caught and heard of a few others but we were not one of the lucky ones. Last night I sent some pictures of the channelization to Rodney so he may post so you can see some water is going to the hatchery now. Lots still going through the bush though.

I believe today should be good on the Chehails, according to "The Master" but there will be lots of chum too.

That is an abbreviated edition of the Journal for a Saturday morning as I have to go now and cut up the deer I got last week and check the Vedder too, maybe that illusive coho will come today, it seems I have better luck hunting of late. ??? Lew hopefully may add to this post as well.

Cheers to all for a good weekend.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 07:47:59 PM by Rodney »

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
Re: Chehalis Friday
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 09:06:58 AM »

Thanks for the report chris,will be heading out that way real soon ;)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 09:35:54 AM »

Thanks for the report Chris.  :)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 10:01:37 AM »

thanks for the report chris!!! Will also be going there in the next week or so
weeeeeeeeeow!

stinkytroutboy

• stinkytroutboy
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 10:06:21 AM »

well , done  ;D ;D always good to hear a report from you
crab cakes

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 10:07:07 AM »

Good to hear about the Chahalis thanks for the report.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 01:46:24 PM »

thanks buddy, we needed a report! Maby gonna head out there with my dad and our buddy! Hook a couple 15lb + cohos! WE hooked 4 15lb+ cohos last year there! 2 were above 20! We had a scale! Good luck fishing every one!
Fish killer 101

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 07:47:41 PM »

Chris' Chehalis photos attached (log in to view).

Ribwart

Re: Chehalis Friday October 27th
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 08:47:45 PM »

That is a bit higher than normal birdman...but still optimal conditons to be sure....Thanks for the report Chris, just what the doctor ordered, as I had already planned to go up there on monday, knowing the water levels are way up definitely takes the uncertainty out of the decision of where to go...very much appreciate those pics showing the water clarity etc...too.
Thanks again,
rib

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 09:39:57 PM »

Thanks Rodney for posting the pictures. The last one gives you an idea how much water is going down to the hatchery and the other, which is the majority of the flow goes down through the bush.

May slip over tomorrow afternoon and try for the first coho of the season. ;D

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 09:58:10 PM »

Look slike a decent amount of water flowing toward the hatchery, did they actually do the redirection work?

Lew Chater

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 09:58:52 PM »

Chris picked me up about 1:00 pm on Friday and he had even vacuumed out the Leaf Mobile for me to ride in. Enjoyed our ride over as we discussed a lot of the work on various committees and ate our lunch on the way. Doesn't matter how many times we travel to our various fishing locations we never fail to appreciate what a great area we live in and the great rivers and lakes we get to fish.
Haven't been to the Chehalis for a while so nice to have a go especially as there were only a few fisherman there. As Chris said, water was in great condition and we had great bait to seduce some coho. Saw one really nice chrome wild coho taken and released but none for Chris or me. Nice to fish in the rain which we so badly need even though the fish remained tight mouthed for us..
I'm sure it will do nothing but improve with the increased flow. First time in 60 YEARS that I have not wet a line in the Vedder for coho yet this year. With low water, fishing ethics, just not interested. With more water, there now, will have to get out next week so that I can say, have'nt missed a season in 60 years. Thanks to Chris for getting me out on Friday. I enjoyed it.
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 10:44:28 PM »

thanks for the report Chris  :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 10:54:13 PM »

Look slike a decent amount of water flowing toward the hatchery, did they actually do the redirection work?
Yes they did and good to see some water going down that way again as it creates more water for anglers to fish. Of course it is more important that we have a passage way for the fish to reach the hatchery. Glad the job got done .

Ribwart

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 03:58:17 PM »

Hey Chris...or anyone else for that matter...do you know how good the access down through the forest at the bottom of easter seal run is now? 
I'm possibly going up there tomorrow, and am wondering if the river has cleared out much of the debris that was strewn through there? I'm trying to decide where exactly I will fish on the chehalis tomorrow...maybe canyon, maybe lower river, but the accessibility on the lower river is a concern...I might just go down past the hatchery, through purdy's etc...but that run through the tree's intrigues me... ;D
any info would be great,
thx,
rib