Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ultralight Spinning combo for trout?  (Read 11337 times)

Humpy

Ultralight Spinning combo for trout?
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »

I am looking for an ultralight spinning rod(rated 2-6lb) and a reel for trout. Does anybody have any experience with the Cabela's Classic IM6 Ultralight Spinning Combo or the Daiwa Mini System Minispin Ultralight Spinning Reel and Rod Combo? I am just looking for a cheap combo.
I would appreciate any help, thanks. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 09:21:02 PM by Humpy »
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Ultralight Spinning combo for trout?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:48:56 PM »

Try Army and Navy. They have lots of light spinning combo that will fit your needs.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:06:27 PM »

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 08:41:21 AM »

I got a UL spinning rod for about 68$ at Highwater tackle in Lonsdale.It was a Daiwa spinmatic 662ULFS rod.PAired with a Quantum Triax 10.I ahvent got any problems with the rod or the reel so its a good deal.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:43:56 AM by MetalAndFeathers »

Humpy

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »

Thanks guys, I will check out Highwater  and Army and Navy.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Craig

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 01:37:21 PM »

I have the cabela's ultra light rod and really like the rod. I put a Pflueger President on it that I got for around $50. I am quite happy with the setup.

Craig

losos

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 10:02:27 PM »

I have Shimano Stimula Ul 5.6', 1-4 lb with 1000 Sienna reel spooled with 2lb line and was able to pull 7 lb trout on it. Whole set-up is really cheap under $100.

noobfisher

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 11:10:41 PM »

The Daiwa spinmatic is a grea ultralight rod.  Unfortunately I broke mine tossing some spoons that were to heavy on pinks a few years ago, still miss that rod :(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 11:42:30 PM »

Daiwa Spinmatic Tuflite is a really nice ultralight spinning rod if you are specifically targeting trout, char and coarse fish. Its action is very slow so the end is down to the cork handle regardless how big the fish is. The tip is also extremely sensitive. Although it is mainly designed for targeting smaller fish, I did manage to land a fairly large coho salmon (10lb+) a few years ago while targeting bull trout with it.

Shimano Clarus ultralight spinning rods are also very nice. The tip is quite sensitive and it is a faster action rod. The bottom half of the rod is stiffer therefore can handle larger species. If you are looking for just one rod which can handle both trout and small salmon like pink salmon, then this is a good option.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 11:57:26 PM »

Not crazy about the two single foot guides on the bottom of the rod, otherwise the Clarus is an excellent rod.

barklee

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »

For trout in expensive I have the Fenwicks HMX or Eagle GT spinning. I like the 6-7'6 foot fast actions medium power 2-6 or 2-8 all are very sensitive and light weight with the awesome guides. Plus when I fish from shore the fast action allows me to throw the lures a far distance.
Rods under 100 can't go wrong.

I also have a okuma 7'6 fast action med power very sensitive 4-10 as well cheaper than HMX

Then for reels I have Abu Garcia spinning very light and smooth 5-8 bearings or a mitchell spinning with rear drag.

Rod and reel total 120-150 ask them to throw in the line pline braided yellow 20lbs but very thin or 10lbs maxima then I use seguar floro for leader.

Army and Navy in New West is good or Berry's Bait the Okuma at Hatch and Match in Maple Ridge.

Shawn6o4

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 12:46:54 AM »

Daiwa Spinmatic Tuflite is a really nice ultralight spinning rod if you are specifically targeting trout, char and coarse fish. Its action is very slow so the end is down to the cork handle regardless how big the fish is. The tip is also extremely sensitive. Although it is mainly designed for targeting smaller fish, I did manage to land a fairly large coho salmon (10lb+) a few years ago while targeting bull trout with it.

Shimano Clarus ultralight spinning rods are also very nice. The tip is quite sensitive and it is a faster action rod. The bottom half of the rod is stiffer therefore can handle larger species. If you are looking for just one rod which can handle both trout and small salmon like pink salmon, then this is a good option.
X2 for the Daiwa spinmatic, currently using this rod for trout and can't complain

barklee

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 01:03:55 AM »

I did not see the title but other than the ones I have I wanna buy these UL rods:

Daiwa Presso Ultralight Spinning rods even has an 8'0" but its a split cork.

Rapala classic trout spinning rod longest 7'6" UL Fast 2-6lbs.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »

Bass Pro Shop's Micro Lite IM-6 UL rods are hard to beat in terms of value.
I ended up buying three of these 6.5 feet UL rods for my lake trout fishing.
For $50 per rod, you get an excellent cork handle and an IM-6 graphite shaft.