Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flies for sockeye on thr fraser  (Read 4747 times)

square tail

flies for sockeye on thr fraser
« on: July 26, 2008, 11:27:27 PM »

wanting to tie some flies for my spey for the sockeye in the fraser is this posible ? and if so any favourite colours  and size thanks to all that help with this.
the tug is the drug

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
Re: flies for sockeye on thr fraser
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 11:47:14 PM »

Assuming this is a serious qeustion, I would say it doesn't matter right now. With water clarity and flow rate if you are trying to entice a bite it will be next to impossible. Your only hope to get them would be the same as the BB crowd.

Zach

• Fishing Photo's
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 01:36:50 AM »

I've gotten sockeye to hit a pink bunny leech but mind you this was on a different system but I imagine that the fly would still work on the Fraser.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 10:41:42 AM »

On the Fraser you will just be flossing them so the fly does not matter. Just use some T-14 to get it down.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:08:09 PM »

The Fraser is a bit of a challenge but it can be done inspite of what the know it all's say. Using a leadhead helps to get your fly in the zone. I usually wait until they open the stretch of river just south of Lillooet at the mouth of the Cashoosh. The best is the Tom if they open there. As for flies all the standard salmon patterns work just use lime green or chartreuse materials.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 05:45:58 PM »

I would try shrimp patterns in creek mouths or sloughs if the water is clear... I have seen em hitting on a stationary fly before.

Elmir J

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 07:20:30 PM »

I have read in the past that flys that are mainly green in colour and weighted work in the Fraser.  I can't speak from experience though... :(

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 10:35:33 AM »

The Fraser is a bit of a challenge but it can be done inspite of what the know it all's say.

I hope you are not calling Jamie and myself this because that would be like calling the kettle black now wouldnt it....

Belong to the "4 F Club"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 04:45:48 PM »

You have me all bbronswkyk. On the grand scale of things I think I don't know a whole lot. What I do know is that I have learned enough to know how little I acctually do know. And that, an old sadge taught me is the first step to true knowledge.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 05:03:02 PM »

You have me all bbronswkyk. On the grand scale of things I think I don't know a whole lot. What I do know is that I have learned enough to know how little I acctually do know. And that, an old sadge taught me is the first step to true knowledge.

That is some good information that was passed on to you. Too bad you have to resort to name calling like calling people know it all's as you might earn peoples respect if you just gave advice instead of making yourself look better than others.

I myself surround myself with people that can teach as I have always considered myself a student of this sport. With what knowledge I do have I like to help others out but not in the same respect you seem to do.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 05:25:46 PM »

I hear what you are saying; however there are times when persons, myself included, do not see things until they are pointed out. The referencing is not intended as a put down.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 06:47:41 PM »

I hear what you are saying; however there are times when persons, myself included, do not see things until they are pointed out. The referencing is not intended as a put down.

I am glad we could clear this up. I have always thought your articles as being very informative and insightful.

Belong to the "4 F Club"