Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beaded-jigs-rip-apart-in-landing-net problem solved?  (Read 2945 times)

fishman254

Beaded-jigs-rip-apart-in-landing-net problem solved?
« on: November 28, 2013, 09:21:58 AM »

In this video our sensei recommends to not fish with PIN/BEAD-HEAD jigs if landing salmon with a net (from a boat usually). The net gets caught between the pin and the hook, when those darned fresh fish thrash around. The shiny brass or silver of the pin/bead-head adds that flash that seems to catch more fish, but we are forced to not use them when using a landing net (I've experienced this many times.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43obBLcudq8
Do SLOTTED beads solve the netting problem? http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/slotted-beads.88495/
Also http://www.theflyfishers.com/fly-shop-details.asp?cat=Eyes%2C+Beads%2C+Coneheads+%26+Rattles&ID=82&pID=1047

What about just sliding the bead up to the bend? http://tenkaraguides.com/tg/gallery/flies/dscn3598.jpg

What about shiny bullet-head beads? http://www.flickr.com/photos/24255759@N04/3325148639/

What about, to replicate a silver bead, filing/shining up a bare lead head, to make it shiny like a silver bead is (to some degree)?

As god is my witness I WILL fish with effective bead-jigs for salmon from a boat!    ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:25:38 AM by fishman254 »

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Beaded-jigs-rip-apart-in-landing-net problem solved?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 10:11:04 AM »

Learn to land a fish on a boat without a net. Problem solved.

Suther

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »

Why not just get some silver paint for your lead jigheads? Trying to polish lead won't get you very far.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »

I have been fishing and tying jigs for 15+ years and I am hard pressed to confidently say that jig head color makes ANY difference to the fish on a regular basis.  That said there may be certain times or jigs where color makes a difference but not enough to make me want to paint all my jigs.

I'll give 2 examples: I had a paint jig head with marabou body get beat to hell in a couple of trips...paint was all but gone but it continued to fish well.  I tied up my last white headed jig just before the end of the season.  I usually tie at least 3 of each color pattern I start so I tied one with a painted head and 2 without.  The painted head jig was killing em until a fish ran into a log jam with it.  I tied on the same pattern with a bare lead head and continued pounding on the fish. 

So is the slotted bead an answer...a better answer would be go to a poured lead head.  As well, the beads (pinned or slotted) are pretty light, too light to really twitch ie spin cast.  Yyou have to float fish those jigs...go to a 1/4 or heavy poured lead head and then you can float or cast those jigs due to the added weight compared to a pinned bead.

Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »

Get a new net. They don't get caught in the silicone/rubber nets.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Suther

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »

I have been fishing and tying jigs for 15+ years and I am hard pressed to confidently say that jig head color makes ANY difference to the fish on a regular basis.  That said there may be certain times or jigs where color makes a difference but not enough to make me want to paint all my jigs.

I'll give 2 examples: I had a paint jig head with marabou body get beat to hell in a couple of trips...paint was all but gone but it continued to fish well.  I tied up my last white headed jig just before the end of the season.  I usually tie at least 3 of each color pattern I start so I tied one with a painted head and 2 without.  The painted head jig was killing em until a fish ran into a log jam with it.  I tied on the same pattern with a bare lead head and continued pounding on the fish. 

So is the slotted bead an answer...a better answer would be go to a poured lead head.  As well, the beads (pinned or slotted) are pretty light, too light to really twitch ie spin cast.  Yyou have to float fish those jigs...go to a 1/4 or heavy poured lead head and then you can float or cast those jigs due to the added weight compared to a pinned bead.

Not really true. You can get pinned beads that weigh just shy of a 1/4oz, so when they are tied up the whole rig weighs in at or over 1/4oz.