Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spoon Rod (baitcaster)  (Read 7474 times)

Magz

Re: Spoon Rod (baitcaster)
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »

I also have a clarus med light spinning rod. Awsome rod for the price!!!

Fishawn

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 10:40:06 PM »

I use a 9'6 Shimano Clarus 8-14 lb great rod matched with my Calais
How's the Calais been treating you?

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 05:53:00 AM »

It's been great had it for several years, started out like most with a baitcaster drift fishing. When I switched to the pin the Calais only gets uses in spinner/spoon season

Fishawn

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 08:37:35 AM »

It's been great had it for several years, started out like most with a baitcaster drift fishing. When I switched to the pin the Calais only gets uses in spinner/spoon season
Do you run braid or mono on your Calais?

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »

I started with braid and now trying out nano fill. main reason for the switch is I am not drifting with it anymore. For drifting I liked the Hi-vis but now for tossing spinners and spoons I went for something less visable

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 12:50:12 AM »

I normally fish a spinning rod with spoons, but I would like to try a baitcaster as IMO I could let out short bursts of line with my thumb on the spool and keep the spoon closer to the bottom. This would be much harder with a spinning reel AND trying to flip the bail and get a good hookset.

Most of my baitcasting rods are way to long and made for float fishing. However I have one that might work well. I bought it this summer as a beefier trolling rod for lake trout, big rainbows, etc.

It's a Shimano Clarus. 8"6 long. 8-17lb line rating, 3/8-1oz lure rating, med-heavy power, fast action.

As far as I can tell it should work well...most of the spoons I'd toss this time of year would be 1/2oz - 3/4oz.

For a reel I'd put my 6501 C3 or Currado 301E on it.

Can anyone pls advise me id tis setup would work?

zap brannigan

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »

been using my 11 ft med/heavy and a c3 the last month or so tossing metal and been fishing/doing great, cast out just as far as spinning rod guys, would love a shorter spoon/spinner rod but what im saying is it can be done with longer rods.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 10:14:17 AM »

been using my 11 ft med/heavy and a c3 the last month or so tossing metal and been fishing/doing great, cast out just as far as spinning rod guys, would love a shorter spoon/spinner rod but what im saying is it can be done with longer rods.

Yeam man if it works giver! 8) For me I've tried casting spoons on my longer 10"6 and 11"6 float rods and I found I had to put a pretty heavy spoon on to get any distance. Anything "light" say 1/2oz or so would not load the rod. I also found I had to really whip the cast and would get a bird's nest on my reel if not careful. Oh and I found my casting accuracy sucked.

I'll try out this 8"6 Clarus of mine and report back. Just playing with it in the garage I think it would cast spoons quite nicely with a small baitcaster on and deliver good feel + hooksets.