Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Begginer center pin setup  (Read 17963 times)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Begginer center pin setup
« on: February 14, 2011, 06:40:52 PM »

Hey guys
Just wondering if you guys think this would be a good starter centerpin set up itll be my first cp so I dont want to spend to much. I dont know what reels better out of the three im looking at:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/spo/2212312129.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/spo/2212215121.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/spo/2152135367.html
I am thinking the 3rd option simply because its almost new and is a nice looking reel this is the rod I am looking at
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/spo/2160572720.html
Thanks guys and if you have something for sale around these prices send me an email  :) and remember this is just a starter cp setup I currently have a levelwind
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: Begginer center pin setup
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:21:24 PM »

Tournament Drifter - heavy reel, would be tiring on a long day
Seldexes - too much money, old ( a newer model Seldex for that price would be a good deal )
Okuma - nice light reel, quite well made, good reel to learn on and decide if you like using a centrepin. You can upgrade later if you decide and always keep the Okuma as a back up reel.
Thanks for the input, the okuma was the one i was thinking of getting, its the newest and now sounds like the one im gonna get. How do u think the rod would be?
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

island boy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:37:44 PM »

couple years back i got a trophy rod and reel combo from freds for $250. didn't want to spend a bunch and find out i didn't like the whole c-pin thing, but it works great and would never go back.
you kill it, you clean it.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »

couple years back i got a trophy rod and reel combo from freds for $250. didn't want to spend a bunch and find out i didn't like the whole c-pin thing, but it works great and would never go back.
Would you happen to still have this setup and willing to sell?

island boy

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »

ya i still got it but not for sale. go in there and check them out.
you kill it, you clean it.

Stealth

• Steve Kaye Sportfishing
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 04:28:30 PM »

I had a original tournament drifter, Made in Canada model and really liked it. I regret selling it. The later drifters were made off shore but if that is an original and I think it is from the handles I would recommend that reel.

That 11 3  Amundsen rod would be a good match for it.

IMHO

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 04:30:47 PM »

all i can say is when you got a cp you will never want to use anything but your cp. you will as excited as a school girl with beiber fever when you hook your first fish...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »

like joska said, once u try one, u will never go back, IMO, save up and get a nice one, you wont regret it. if u buy a cheaper one this year next year your gonna be getting a nicer one anyways so id say its worth waiting till u have the cash to get the one you really want
420-|WiSh'[N] I WaS FiSH'[N]|-247

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »

thanks for the help guys im probly gonna get the rod and in a couple months get an islander

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 06:07:55 PM »

like joska said, once u try one, u will never go back, IMO, save up and get a nice one, you wont regret it. if u buy a cheaper one this year next year your gonna be getting a nicer one anyways so id say its worth waiting till u have the cash to get the one you really want

I agree. I tried centepinning a few years ago but I was flyfishing so much never gave it a fair chance and sold it ( just had an old Avon ) well before Xmas I asked my wife to buy me one for Xmas. She ended up buying me an Okuma Aventa. I looked at it and wasnt impressed and wanted a good one. I took it back to Hatchmatchrs and traded up to an Islander. Been out with it a few times and boy do I love that reel. I have taken it out only twice but both times got into a fish but not landed yet. I dont see myself using a bait caster much anymore other than when I must. I love flyfishing more than any other type of fishing but using a centerpin is a close second.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 06:18:16 PM »

I agree. I tried centepinning a few years ago but I was flyfishing so much never gave it a fair chance and sold it ( just had an old Avon ) well before Xmas I asked my wife to buy me one for Xmas. She ended up buying me an Okuma Aventa. I looked at it and wasnt impressed and wanted a good one. I took it back to Hatchmatchrs and traded up to an Islander. Been out with it a few times and boy do I love that reel. I have taken it out only twice but both times got into a fish but not landed yet. I dont see myself using a bait caster much anymore other than when I must. I love flyfishing more than any other type of fishing but using a centerpin is a close second.
Ya i do alot of fly fishing, but for winter steels flies just arent as effective.My current  Levelwinds getting a bit worn and have tried cp in salmon season and got a couple chum and it was great, its like the play and fight of a flyrod with the casting simplisity as a drift rod(basiclly).

shortfloat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:01:04 PM »

and remember most importantly you look cool and like you know what ur doing if you fish a centerpin.  Ha fish a small calcutta you will be able to cast more effectively and get in more casts in a day. The stigma about fishing a centerpin reel is overated.  save ur money .

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 08:01:51 PM »

The centerpin Love-in does get a bit tiring to read but what I find amusing is that it seems to bug guys like you that can't afford a centerpin so you go and post something negative when some young guy is getting exciting about trying something different. How about you take your own advice and save your money and try it for yourself. Don't read it if it bugs you!!

PS Are you related to DennisK?? :D

x2   :D ;D :P

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »

and remember most importantly you look cool and like you know what ur doing if you fish a centerpin.  Ha fish a small calcutta you will be able to cast more effectively and get in more casts in a day. The stigma about fishing a centerpin reel is overated.  save ur money .
Ha ,lmao when i read this...I agree,using a nice Gold Calcutta is the most effective way to fish for the Steel.Getting alot more casts in and a faster retrieve will get one into more fish. ;)I dont really care about looking cool either when im out there. ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »

The best thing about a centerpin is its a single action reel. I have played many fish on single action reels on the salt and their is nothing like it. Its just you and the fish. With a baitcaster the drag does all the work. I am not a meat fisherman so for me its all about the fight.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family