Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pontoon inflation recommendations  (Read 2042 times)

RG

Pontoon inflation recommendations
« on: December 09, 2014, 01:03:41 PM »

Can anybody recommend a decent electric pump/air compressor for inflating pontoons?  The pressure is not to exceed 2.5psi according to Outcast, just wondering what others are doing.  I'm done with the hand pump unless it's for a refill while out on the river.

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Pontoon inflation recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 02:40:44 PM »

Hand pump as in by hand or the two way pumps?

RG

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 04:25:57 PM »

K-pump and double action

Tenz85

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 04:28:48 PM »

I use the standard Coleman air pump meant for an air mattress. It works out of a car outlet. Just fill it until it is firmly filled but not overly. Make sure you let some or all the air out when transporting between altitude changes. If you're set on the psi level, I believe there is a stand alone adaptor that will provide the psi. My two way pump works fairly fast too when I'm up to the challenge. :D

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 10:34:35 PM »

I two way foot pump my 8 foot zodiac, the one that came with it.  I like to keep perfect track of the pressure in all four chambers.  It takes 10 mins and I can tune it to the perfect firmness without risk.  Good piece of mind for me.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 07:06:57 AM »

I use the standard Coleman air pump meant for an air mattress.

same here. I don't believe these push out enough pressure to put an inflatable into danger unless it's left running for a relatively long time. I use a double action pump to top it up after about 5 minutes of inflation with the electric pump. I don't use a pressure gauge to test to test it once the inflatable is firm I consider it done. It'll loose some pressure once it's in the water.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.