Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dipping The Chilliwack Vedder River And How Not To Release A Salmon  (Read 12845 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Filmed this today, the water was chocolate but by his dipping method he had a fish on every couple of minutes. Here is a clip of this method in very fast water.https://youtu.be/kaFht2U32SQ

I will have video 2 up shortly, very sad. Maybe some people watching this will see this is not the way to do it. The fish should be left in the water as much as possible when getting the hook out.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:06:50 PM by chris gadsden »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Diping The Chilliwack Vedder River And How Not To Release A Salmon
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 08:15:13 PM »

Pisses me off seeing people fishing this way. The 2nd video you mentioned is not up, but we all know what happens. Opps, wild coho, fish is half dead on the rocks, fish gets tossed (or booted) back in the water and likely dies afterwards.

I avoid fishing spots with this kind of water near enough for me to see. It pisses me right off seeing this, I often end up saying something, sometimes get into a confrontation, more or less ruins my day. And I'm out to enjoy myself and relax! Best to steer clear of such snag/dip holes.

I really wish there was some sort of test one had to pass to get an angler's license. Want a salmon tag? That's another test you must pass. Yes and these tests should be available in French, Chinese, Korean, and so on.

Seems fair that if one has to take a course and pass a test to hunt, you should also have to for fishing.

bobby b

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:30:28 PM »

How on earth would he hope to land a fish in such fast water...     

Saw a dude land a big wild coho in a pocket of fast water near Tamaihi ....it was hooked in the back...then he grabs a rock.. ready to bonk it!!

I yelled at him that he cant kill a wild Coho and also not to bonk a foul hooked fish!!

He dropped the rock ...."OK ok..." he says and released the fish. Not once did he look up at me....he knew what he was gonna do was wrong.

People will go ahead snag and bonk at will.... as  long as no one says anything some will just go right ahead and do it again and again.....

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:46:26 PM »

Boy, looks fun!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:00:51 PM »

Pisses me off seeing people fishing this way. The 2nd video you mentioned is not up, but we all know what happens. Opps, wild coho, fish is half dead on the rocks, fish gets tossed (or booted) back in the water and likely dies afterwards.

I avoid fishing spots with this kind of water near enough for me to see. It pisses me right off seeing this, I often end up saying something, sometimes get into a confrontation, more or less ruins my day. And I'm out to enjoy myself and relax! Best to steer clear of such snag/dip holes.

I really wish there was some sort of test one had to pass to get an angler's license. Want a salmon tag? That's another test you must pass. Yes and these tests should be available in French, Chinese, Korean, and so on.

Seems fair that if one has to take a course and pass a test to hunt, you should also have to for fishing.
Sadly here it is. https://youtu.be/ujMr0Mmhn1g

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Dipping The Chilliwack Vedder River And How Not To Release A Salmon
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 09:14:21 PM »

Barbed hook to id bet from watching that.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 09:44:34 PM »

Sadly here it is. https://youtu.be/ujMr0Mmhn1g

I know i had seen that vid somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9fbU87gMrc

but in all seriousness I think it just comes down to education
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:48:34 PM by wildmanyeah »

Alomar

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 10:08:50 PM »

Disgusting!

Gabo

• Fish On!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 11:04:19 PM »

I know i had seen that vid somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9fbU87gMrc

but in all seriousness I think it just comes down to education

I would be tired too if I used a flag pole to catch chums

243Pete

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 07:52:45 AM »

Barbed hooked or a poorly pinched barb ie "Oh! I thought I pinched it enough?" CO's either gonna do the feel with the fingers or the "If it snags any fabric coming out after I put it into a piece of fabric it's got a barb." test.

And holy heck how the hell does one fish water that fast and muddy!??! I'm trying to keep my eye on the line as it zips by, fish ain't going to see a thing except maybe a blur of pink?

The whole stepping on the fish really bugs me as well, how about I step on him with my 250 pound frame and see what he says then.

Gotta agree with Spawn Sack, should be a course that all anglers must pass on ethics and basics on how to fish properly.

spoiler

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »

what Chris's video is showing is exactly what I was talking about on page 1 of the thread "what's with all the snaggers".
I see this behaviour all the time! doesn't matter whether the river is blown out or not these guys find some fast water close to shore and start this "dipping" procedure.
People that fish properly on this river know that there's a 0% chance to get a fish to bite in that dirty of water moving that fast so it's very obvious what is taking place.
I'm not sure they realize that a high percentage of the fish they are hooking are snagged but I don't think they really care!
I'm sure if they were in a spot with no eyes on them those fish would be going home.
When I see people doing this it makes me extremely angry but I don't know what the solution is.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 08:39:16 AM »

Ugh.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 11:20:31 AM »

Chris, thanks for making those videos and posting them. In this time and age, public shaming might be the most effective way to discourage people from engaging in unethical practices.
The guy in the video is NOT ignorant. He is very well aware of the fish travelling lane in high water and is targeting it accordingly. He is just someone with no respect for the resource whatsoever.

Somebody on this forum knows him, or knows someone who knows him. He should by now be aware that he's become a FWR celebrity for the wrong reasons.
Hopefully, this thread will make him reconsider his practices.

96XJ

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 12:40:31 PM »

I agree , he knows exactly what he is doing , with the amount of fish in the river why would someone fish this way ? , unfortunately public shaming might be the only way , hopefully they will change their ways when they see this

You have to assume you are on camera wherever you are

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 06:12:40 PM »

I don't know what dipping has to do with it other than Chris doesn't like it. Certainly handling  & the release was terrible from pulling the fish onto the rocks letting it flop around, stepping on it and removing the possibly barbed hook.

Is this any better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH36b6XMPG0

About 2 minutes in there is the glory of a gill hooked fish. Looks like they were fishing with jigs as well. Most of these fish look to be in spawning condition. Whatever happened to the Fisheries regulation about harassing salmon on the spawning grounds.

I'd also question the ethics of filming anyone without their knowledge and consent and then posting it on the net let alone possibly subjecting them to internet shaming.

Oh and chum can be superb sport fish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQOrAJeUow

If the Chilliwack is a cesspool of bad angling habits that's unlikely to make it better. Tests will mean nothing without regulation.

Perhaps the river should be closed when the crossing gauge hits 2.5m. Maybe  Tamihi rapids should be closed to angling mid Sept to mid November?

A fly fish only regulation would certainly end 'dipping'. Can you all live with that?  ;D

DFO, MOE are content to let inexperienced and casual anglers beat up on salmon in the name of recreation & 'mitigation' for the environmental damage of old and very bad hydroelectric development. The people in these videos are just the tip of the ice berg.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:14:42 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.