Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Denmark spring 2009  (Read 12854 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Denmark spring 2009
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 03:25:25 PM »

Second last photo, that is a big cod Nick! Were you fishing up in Lofoten? Lucky...

Perhaps spoiled, but now the garfish just seem like a nuisance. Today I revisited a spot where I fished and encountered dozens of sea trout chasing my lure last winter. Basically every cast resulted in a school of garfish following the lure to my rod tip. Plenty of splashing around me, doing the usual spawning behaviour on the surface.

The highlight of the morning was this little guy on the fifth or sixth cast.

On my way home, I dropped by a spot in the Copenhagen harbour. Plenty of people were taking advantage of the good fishing.

I stood on top of a bridge and watched hundred of garfish schooling by, with the odd sea trout mixed in between. The warm weather has brought lots of smaller critters out in the shallow water too. I could see sticklebacks, some of the biggest ones I've ever seen, and shrimps.

The harbour is also where many avid flycasters practice regularly before they take off to their annual trips in Sweden, Norway, Kola Peninsula, Iceland and of course BC.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 03:31:48 PM »

Great pictures Rodney.  You've got a special talent and perspective for this. Not one of your shots is just a "picture".  I see art in every one.  Thanks for taking the extra time and effort to share what 'you see'.

Travel safe!

Thanks, but don't forget that for every photo that I choose to show, I probably throw away 50 other bad photos. ;)

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »

That was not at the Lofoten. Way further to the south, we were fishing on a small island in the area of Trondheim. That cod had 112cm and 30lbs, not a bad fish but bigger ones get caught every day up there. Nice pictures again rod and don't get too spoiled, There will be times when you wish you would be back there ;)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 05:50:21 PM »

Excellent photos Rod!  An odd question that perhaps you could answer...  Are internal gear hubs cheaper there (like a nice rohoff or shimano nexus) or are the prices the same?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 01:23:52 AM »

Not really sure Jon, but I doubt it'd be cheaper here. So far I haven't found anything here that's cheaper than BC. :P

I took a break from the fishing today. Everything needs to be washed so the apartment wouldn't smell like garfish anymore. :-X

We walked around one of the parks in Copenhagen. The weather is just too nice to stay indoor.

For some reason, grey herons are everywhere in this city.

ColinB

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 01:31:59 PM »

Lucky you weather wise, I'm on the west coast of Ireland and was almost blown off the pier tonite in the fierce winds.

Great pictures as someone has already said.  Just wish the fishing in the UK was as good!

Colin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »

We caught something other than garfish tonight.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=114

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »

It's just after 4am and a thunderstorm just went by and woke me up.

Now the sun just rose and I'm going to have a hard time falling asleep again. ::)

Nick78

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »

Nice pictures again,Rodney! I told you that already a while ago but Jigs or also called twisters work best for cod. Fish the evenings and close to deeper water as the fish will come closer to the beach when it's getting dark. You can also fish stationary with worms called "Sandorm" in DK, watch out for signs along the street or buy them at the tacklestore.
That's very productive for flounder too.Tight lines!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »

I think it's time to start targeting sea trout... ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 03:02:04 PM »

Good pictures Rodney, I really like the lightning shot.
The Bigger The Better!

drh

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 08:46:25 PM »

Wow! those are some nice photos Rodney.Thanks for getting me out Surrey for a couple of minutes.
That roof on the Hollandsfed building looks like straw,am I misstaken?I don't think that would be very practical in B.C .
Nick78 did you eat all that cod?It looks like allot of fish and chips to be had there.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 04:59:59 PM »

Wow! those are some nice photos Rodney.Thanks for getting me out Surrey for a couple of minutes.
That roof on the Hollandsfed building looks like straw,am I misstaken?I don't think that would be very practical in B.C .
Nick78 did you eat all that cod?It looks like allot of fish and chips to be had there.

there's nothing wrong with surrey!
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Nick78

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 09:37:23 PM »

You fillet it, skin it and cut it into nice sized pieces. After that it goes into freezer bags and get deep frozen. At the end of the holiday you pack it into Styrofoam boxes like a Coleman and take it home. It stays frozen for the 36 hours ride and you can have cod two or three times a week for a long time...yummy!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 03:47:42 AM »

Yes that is a straw roof. Actually you don't see that many around, only on the really old houses. It'd probably do ok in BC too, the weather here is harsher than Vancouver, since it is surrounded by oceans.

Not so much fishing lately, the weather has been pretty unstable. Last night I went down to the beach and returned 10 minutes later because a thunderstorm suddenly rolled in. Didn't really want to be a lightning rod. :-\

Copenhagen Botanical Garden, established since the 1870s.

One of the easiest way to get around this city is by using the Metro. The trains run once every five minutes. It takes around 15 minutes to go from the airport to city. There is a station ten minute walk from our place and we would usually hop on a train as soon as we arrive and be in the city ten minutes later.

Nyhavn is probably the most popular area for tourists in Copenhagen. It is also probably the picture you'd see on a post card from here, even though the rest of Denmark doesn't really look like it. You'd have to walk by it to get to the cruise ships from the City. The harbour is where canal cruises start their trips. The entire harbour is lined with restaurants and people normally sit along the edge on a hot sunny day. It was pretty crowded today already.

More city photos.

Yesterday we went for a walk around Island Brygge, which is basically the area between our place near the airport and the City. This area used to be quite industrialized. Trains and ships once stop along this part of the canal where factories were ready to deliver their products. Only some signs of these past activities can be found now. In the last few years, during the development boom, new residential buildings have taken over the area. The result is a mixture of historic sites and modernized buildings.

Christianhavn looks pretty similar to Nyhavn, except the absence of tourists. It's a five minute Metro ride from the City and the walk along these canals is a lot more peaceful. Don't ask how much it costs for a place around here.