Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Closing ???  (Read 12858 times)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Fraser Closing ???
« on: August 16, 2007, 09:16:40 PM »

I heard from a reliable source today that the Fraser will be closed to ALL salmon fishing starting this Sunday the 19th, I was also asked to spread the word so here it is !! I was kinda surprised that nobody had posted this yet
cheers TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Re: Fraser Closing ???
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 09:33:32 PM »

The official DFO announcement is not out yet, however it will be tomorrow.

Political decision.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 09:46:24 PM »

Say goodbye pink fishing...

BUMMER.
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:46:45 PM »

The official DFO announcement is not out yet, however it will be tomorrow.

Political decision.

Will that be to ALL for ALL sectors?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 09:55:09 PM »

I hope they don't consider sturgeon fishing with roe, barfishing for springs.

ever_hopefull

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 10:03:04 PM »

The area between Mission Bridge and Hope will be closed to fishing for salmon as of midnight Sunday.  This apparantly was due to the low run size for sockeye and the high incidence of non-selective fishing (bottom bouncing) in that area and the impact this is having on sockeye.  Other species are still open.  It seems that the closure will remain in place till the majority of sockeye are through the area.  The area below Mission remains open.  We were told that the First Nation food fishery will also be closed this weekend to allow the fish to pass.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 10:06:12 PM »

Dion..... it's a bit of a NO BRAINER bud..... use ooligans for sturgeon.... you won't be targetting salmon for sure. I used nothin but oolies yesterday.... caught 5 in 3 hours from 3 feet to 8 feet. My sonar is one of those super high definition units.... loads of salmon cruising under the boat and i don't think even one stopped for a sniff of my oolies. I coulda used roe but then that wouldn't be selectively fishing for sturgeon now would it.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 10:11:30 PM »

Oolies have done play all for me this year. Apparently dewies have been the big ticket lately (boss got 3 over 8' on 'em last week), but once the pinks hit the river in full force you wont see me using anything but roe and salmon parts. It wont matter though since I rarely fish above the Mission bridge.
Thanks for the info ever_hopefull.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 10:12:54 PM »

Let's not panic here. I highly doubt that there's going to be a blanket closure of the entire Fraser system.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 10:13:23 PM »

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=462280a6-a392-4ed7-ad2d-9a4e10dc4f6c&k=4807

Fishery closed

Scarce sockeye prompts DFO to close section of Fraser river to sports fishing, other closures may follow

Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver Sun
Published: Thursday, August 16, 2007

All sports fishing on the Fraser River between Mission and Hope will be halted indefinitely as of midnight Sunday in a move to spare B.C.'s dramatically declining sockeye salmon stocks.

That section of the river was chosen for closure because that's where sports fishing has the biggest impact on sockeye, Debbie Sneddon of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans officials said today.

Sneddon said she wasn't sure how long the recreational fishery would be closed, but there would have to be a "significant increase in run size" for it to reopen.

Other areas could be closed later, depending on sockeye levels, she told a conference call with first nations members today.

The government has already closed the commercial fishery for sockeye on the Fraser River as the summer run shapes up to be one of the worst in 40 years.

The DFO had expected 45,000 fish in the season's  first run but only 13,000 showed up, while only 120,000 of 169,000 anticipated fish arrived in the second, or early summer run.

It also forecast 2.4 million fish for the late Fraser run, but that has now been downgraded to 750,000.

The decision to close the recreational fishery above Mission followed calls by first nations in the past month for DFO to take that action.

The Sto:lo Tribal Council said the collapse of this summer's sockeye runs has created a "hardship" for first nations communities.

During the conference call, first nations members asked why it took the government so long to halt recreational fishing when first nations are struggling to catch enough fish to meet their food, social and ceremonial needs. They also argued that the entire sport fishery in the lower Fraser should be closed because the anglers will just move to a new location; many are already fishing in the Fraser Canyon, they said.

Ernie Crey, fisheries adviser to the Sto:lo Tribal Council, said after the conference call that sport fishermen are on the river ostensibly to fish for chinook but end up snagging hundreds of sockeye.

Sneddon said during the call that there is a limited amount of fish available for all first nations and urged band leaders to find ways to share the available catch amongst themselves.

"We do not have enough fish to meet everyone's needs," she said.

Sneddon acknowledged the closure was short notice, as such a salmon shortage wasn't expected until 2008.

The depleted stocks have prompted the Tsleil-Wauthuth First Nation, also known as the Burrard Band, to voluntarily agree to a sockeye embargo on the Fraser because of concerns that taking any fish could jeopardize future stocks.

But other band leaders argued it shouldn't be up to them to put an allocation plan in place.

Yale band chief Robert Hope said the government has failed to consult his band about the fishery closures.

"I understand there are 81,000 TAC [total allowable catch] out there and I'd like to explore all the options of how we can access these fish," Hope said. "We haven't even determined our share. "I suggest we get to the table and talk; we're going to go out and take our fish."

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:22:29 PM »

During the conference call, first nations members asked why it took the government so long to halt recreational fishing when first nations are struggling to catch enough fish to meet their food, social and ceremonial needs. They also argued that the entire sport fishery in the lower Fraser should be closed because the anglers will just move to a new location; many are already fishing in the Fraser Canyon, they said.

for some reason this paragraph makes me shake my head  >:( it sounds to me that First Nations don't know what the word "share" means...

Rec fishers put huge amounts of money into fisheries and deserve an equal share !!!
man this pisses me off !!!

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 10:29:41 PM »

yes I agree with you, CONSERVATION FIRST!

>:(
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 10:33:57 PM »

So does that mean the Fraser River below the Mission Highway bridge will still be open to fishing? And if so will a person have to purchase a tidal license too?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 10:39:21 PM »

So does that mean the Fraser River below the Mission Highway bridge will still be open to fishing? And if so will a person have to purchase a tidal license too?

Yes and Yes

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 10:41:50 PM »

Only if you want to fish down there :D