Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: yarn indicator  (Read 3391 times)

ricer

yarn indicator
« on: May 25, 2011, 11:34:53 AM »

can anyone comment on using yarn indicators for fishing chironomids in deep water so that the yarn goes through the guides and does not slip?

ricer

Re: yarn indicator
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »

no comments?
Well - i tied up a couple of my own indicators and will give them a try this weekend - not sure if they will go through the guides

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:50:31 PM »

--I think they would go through the guides... might try spraying them with a silicone to help them float.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:45:30 PM »

I have used yarn indicators but they would not go through the guides unless you are using a split shot weight on the line that might yank them through ( a small chironomid is not going to pull it through), but then they would not hold up the split shot weight, so why use them? 
Not all those who wander are lost

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »

I vastly prefer thingamabobbers to yarn indicators.  If you haven't tried them, give them a shot.

John
- John A.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 04:53:44 PM »

Why would you want the indicator to go thru the guides--how deep are you planning to fish. If you are going to fish that deep you do not need a indicator..Indicators are meant to keep a fly at a certain level like 3ft. 6ft. etc. The best indicators that I have ever used was yarn tied on a small rudder O ring type washer.

When fishing deep (25 - 30 feet) having an indicator to keep the fly right off the bottom is key to getting repeated hookups.  Casting it is difficult, but there is no need to cast far since the fly is already 30 feet from the boat (just straight down), so really no need for it to go through the eyes.
Not all those who wander are lost

ricer

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 01:22:13 AM »

I have fished chironomids up to 20 feet using indicators that release and they are great - except you have to reset them each time.  I watched (from a distance) an older gentleman at Roche fishing in 25ft with yarn as his indicator to keep it at the depth he wanted.  This yarn indicator was able to be pulled through the guides as he brought in his fish without loosing his depth and having to reset it.  This guy caught fish after fish - rowed to the same spot every day- remained very tight lipped.  He knew what he was doing and had a great set up that I would love to add to my arsenal as a fisherman.  it was like nothing I had ever seen.  Not only was he using yarn but it appeared to have some sort of stick or other indicator that sat up a few inches higher than the yarn.  I couldn't see because I was too far away.  He had the nicest little dory I had ever seen as well.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 09:46:54 AM »

Make a small marking with a sharpie, just a dot, on your leader.  Use a "thingamabobber"...far superior IMHO.

John
- John A.