Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smokers?  (Read 5328 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Smokers?
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Smokers?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:14:11 AM »

That's quite a radical (almost fascist) law.
But hey...if it is going to help even more people kick the habit, I say let it ride...

Milo (smoke free since May 26, 2010, after having smoked a pack a day for almost 35 years).

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:18:04 AM »

I like the new law but they should extend it to the rivers as well ;D Enforcement is going to be a problem

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »

Milo: congrats on quitting.

Smokers always have the option of snorting snuff or chewing tobacco.  Gobbing large black loogies is still legal.

the carp

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:52:01 AM »

Oh sure enforce no smoking on the river and do sweet f all about flossers and snaggers give your head a shake.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 12:04:40 PM »

Oh sure enforce no smoking on the river and do sweet f all about flossers and snaggers give your head a shake.

Thats exactly what I envision happening at Cable Pool specifically.  Some loser(s) snagging coho at cable pool with a butt hanging out of his mouth will be ticketed $75 by a parks employee for smoking and carry on snagging lol.

Casey Martin

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »

fianally, i was really getting tired of seeing the foil off the top of the pack of smokes and the butts thrown on the ground or in the river. or the whole empty pack

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 12:42:58 PM »

...and this is why other countries laugh at us....ban smoking in public parks, but provide safe injection sites for heroin addicts.

the carp

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 12:49:32 PM »

Yah, well what about the timmies cups, macratland wrappers, gum foil and other crap, i am a smoker and i am trying to quit, but butts and the like are not the only garbaage left on the river, i take my empty packs in my vest, the outdoors is one of the last few places a smoker can enjoy his habit. What about the little circles of chronics that gather on the river and pass a fritter around, i don't partake of the herb but many of my fishin friends do and i wouldn't stop them from enjoying their vice this is canada last time i looked we still had some freedoms

adecadelost

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 01:59:49 PM »

Cigarette butts are the number one piece of litter found in beach clean-ups.
Butts have also been found in the stomach contents of almost ever species of commercially caught fish.
Not to mention all the chemicals that have been absorbed into the filter and then released into the water.
I have no problems with people smoking on the river but pack it in pack it out, this includes your butts

YetiHunter

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 04:38:51 PM »

I am all for people quitting cigarettes...but this is just one more unenforecable law from Big Brother. There are already laws on the books about littering - lets enforce those before making new ones that will be ignored.

Casey Martin

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 05:09:40 PM »

ya i m not agaisnt smoking just all the littering that seems to go along with it. when this makes sense to me is when you are on the beach with your towels laid out sitting there and the people next to you are smoking if your down wind it sucks.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »

I almost never see any park rangers while fishing. Like any new law, the penalties to go with it won't act as deterrent enough unless the enforcement is there. I don't think the smoking ban will change anything...

arimaBOATER

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »

When growing up watched tv shows in the 50's 60's 70's etc...& ya sure saw a lot of cigs burning away...
Case & point Johnny Carson tv show....one that Leno does now...
Sometimes ya would see 3 cigs lit up...a the same time.

Gov were cashing in big time with all the taxes they put on a pack.
As long as the gov. made a profit ....they did not push for all the rules against smokers BUT as soon as the health care costs got higher & higher....they re calculated  ....did simple math....pay nurses doctors ...all support staff...etc etc ...cost of giving aid to people coming down with cancers ,lung problems,......they found out that the cig tax did not cover the cost to treat cig related illnesses....
thus all hell broke lose.....sue the cig companies...add in ever increasing laws against smokers....etc...

If gov made a profit from the taxing of cigs after health costs....they would not of brought in all the new rules.

As long as the tax on booze makes a profit after paying health costs associated from drinking alcohol the gov. will not come down on it.
Thus expect to see lots of beer cans near your favorite fishing hole.

Gov brought in bike helmet laws ...because too high cost of treating head injuries...but sure do see a lot of riders not wearing them????
RCMP may not enforce it too much here in Richmond....maybe the Vancouver police enforce it more???
But I can just see somebody telling someone to butt out in the park....& getting a black eye for his effort.
Maybe smokers will just carry a small fold up tent in their back pocket....when they need a smoke they hide inside this stand up tent...hole at top so smoke exits....after having butt ...they just fold up this light material tent....& replace it in their back pocket. ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »

Or...why not do what all civilized and developed countries have been doing for a while now: install smoke cabins indoor and outdoor in public areas. They are already just about everywhere in Euroland.
The enormous resources from smoking taxation certainly make it feasible, and it would once and for all put to rest the debate about second hand smoke and smoking-related litter. I have been there, seen them work, smoked in them, and they really are the cat's rear.