Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Electric motor for toon boat  (Read 3320 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
Electric motor for toon boat
« on: November 28, 2005, 12:22:51 PM »

I'm curious as to who's using electric motors on their pontoon boats, how they like the electric upgrade, and what size or models are best suited. I've seen people on Cultas Lake with electric on their toons - looked pretty good. How do you set up to steer without reaching back all the time. I saw one guy with a pipe or handle extention that rested on his shoulder but that looked a little mickey mouse. Any thoughts or comments appreciated. I just bought a Fishcat 9.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: Electric motor for toon boat
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 07:42:11 PM »

ive seen people with little gas powered 2/3hp motors aswell

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:16:18 PM »

Reiber,On my fishcat 9 i use a 30 # thrust minn kotta.It pushes it really well.As for steering it i removed the foot bars and put the motor mount there instead .That way the motor is in front of you pushing you backwards.works great. ;D
Please honey can i go fishing now???

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 11:06:28 PM »

I strap bulge pump to my pantoon boat.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 09:47:43 AM »

BwiBwi,

What does that mean? "I strap bulge pump to my pantoon boat."  :-\

Does your pontoon boat leak? Is this a make shift jet propulsion system? Are you serious? I don't get it.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 09:51:55 AM »

I like the idea of the motor in front but doesn't that interfere with casting and landing fish. I was considering making and outrigger mount. I really like my foot rests and would hate to loose them. I would really appreciate a picture of your set-up if you would be so kind.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 01:50:10 PM »

BwiBwi,

What does that mean? "I strap bulge pump to my pantoon boat."  :-\

Does your pontoon boat leak? Is this a make shift jet propulsion system? Are you serious? I don't get it.

NO not leaking. 4 1250 bilge pump can provide a slow quiet troll. Light to log around.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 02:43:32 PM »

Are you actually doing this? What is the battery life and how long will this little pump last? If the pump lasts 20 trips and doesn't kill a battery in 8 hrs then its worth it. Seriously, are you doing this? I'll need two pumps to keep my 300-lbs moving and to possibly provide steering. If this actually works? :D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 02:55:19 PM »

Yes, I fish in remote mountain lakes alot before I took up salmon fishing this year. Those bilge pump works well and I've been using them for past 5 years. Batterylife is about 6~7 hours. I've been working on using lithium ion polymer battery to further lighten the weight and extend battery life  but still in the works.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 05:59:10 PM »

Why do you guys need an electric motor on your pontoon boats, are you guys trolling with ford fenders and flatfish ??? I always thought rowing my pontoon boat was fast enough to get from one end of the lake to the other.
Okay, If you guys still want to mount a motor on your pontoon, you will need a solid mounting location which is usually the cargo deck or somewhere on the frame behind the seat. You should first look for a motor mount from the manufacturer as an option for your pontoon. In the case of my PAC 800, its just a hollow square shape mount that attaches to the cargo deck. However, a mount could be easily made from a piece of 2x4 and some angle iron or a piece of aluminum sheeting ;)  You will also have to find a place to carry the battery, which weigh 50-80 lbs :o
I personally think its just a waste of time to setup an electric motor on a pontoon. It makes the boat less mobile, which maybe okay if you intend to fish the same lake for a number days. You may aswell get a real boat, a pram if your going to go that route :D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 06:07:42 PM »

Your right of course. It's just laziness. But also for reflex. I can't seem to drop oar, set hook, fast enough. So I prefer to have my hand free and ready to set hook.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 09:00:33 AM »

Chrome...,

With all due respect, I didn't ask for your idea on how to mount an electric motor. My 'toon came with a mount so obvoiusly this is being done. I was asking who is using motors and how they like them and what size they are using. But thank you for your opinion.

Straight Runner

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 11:38:55 PM »

Maybe one of those SeaDoo hand held rechargeable submersible Jaques Coustea scuba helper things from Canadian Tire would be fun to rig up. I don't know anything about them except I remember being impressed with how long they claimed the battery lasted, and I think it was cheap. ps This is coming from a guy who likes to mess with unconventional (unsound) methods. My kicker is over 50 years old, and it's a jet. Century Outboard built in New Westminster.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 05:07:32 AM »

Ya hey that SeaDoo thing would be interesting to check out.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 11:04:26 AM »

Great idea. I always thought that unit was pretty cool now I've got something to try it on.