Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thalia/kvr  (Read 2737 times)

theepum7

Thalia/kvr
« on: May 13, 2013, 09:59:39 AM »

Heading up to thalia in a few weeks again.  We were there last year and there was a spot on the kvr that was washed out.  We were able to get around it with a jeep and truck/small trailer, but barely...  Anyone know if the washout is better/worse?

Any tips on trolling thalia right now?

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: Thalia/kvr
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

I had to turn back this year. It is worse than  the last fall. Pumpkin head trolling or chironomiding at 15-20 ft in camp bayou.

theepum7

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 12:31:02 PM »

When did you go?

shi man oh man

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 12:41:33 PM »

just drive thru to the highway, then take the ranch road in. much faster and easier

island boy

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:48:25 PM »

which way are you guys going in? we go up the coq and go through brookmere. is it that way or through princeton?
you kill it, you clean it.

iCemAn

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:27:51 PM »

which way are you guys going in? we go up the coq and go through brookmere. is it that way or through princeton?

Yes, AP Ranch is the turn in off of the highway. I used to take both roads in when I fished this lake 7-10 years ago. Haven't been to the area there since 2005.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

theepum7

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:34:57 PM »

we go through brookmere too, but taking the kvr instead of staying on the brookmere rd saves about an hour. the kvr meets up with coalmont rd, then the thalia turnoff is less than 1 km to the south.

Charts

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 07:12:44 AM »

If the road is anything like last year I wouldn't take it. Week after May long last year it took me 3 hours from Brookmere because of washouts, ice ruts 2 feet deep on hairpin turns and don't forget the 10 times I had to stop to buck up 3 foot round downed trees across the road. My advise is take Coalmont rd till you turn off to Thalia. I towed a 22 ft trailer last year so was extra slow. Big fish towards the shallows at the cabin and towards the other campsite. If you go let us know how you did. Bring a chainsaw and a heavy winch is my advise.

theepum7

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 06:18:58 PM »

Thanks!  Yeah i think we will be sticking to coalmont rd this time and abandoning the kvr.  Have a chainsaw, but no winch.

Last year around this time i caught 6 rainbows ranging from 16"-22" all using a watermelon apex.  I was the only one of the group of 5 of us that caught anything.

This year will be much better.  Heading up in 2 weeks, I'll let you know how we do.

theepum7

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 11:49:12 PM »

just heard today that the washout on the kvr has been repaired.  thanks to whoever took the time to fix it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 07:28:53 AM »

just heard today that the washout on the kvr has been repaired.  thanks to whoever took the time to fix it!
Very good, when I saw it washed out last year I wrote to the Trans Canada Trail people as this section is part of the trail route. Glad they finally repaired  it.