Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BAR FISHING NEWBIE  (Read 5472 times)

slovakfisher12

BAR FISHING NEWBIE
« on: July 11, 2010, 12:20:12 AM »

HEY GUYS,

I am planning a trip out to terrace next week and have heard through the great vine that bar fishing produces the best. Now,  I dont have a boat so that means wading in is the only option. Does anyone know how to set me up for bar fishing...I do have a few rods that can handle it but I have little clue as to how to tie the weight on and how the whole process works. Also are there any accessible spots to fish from?

Any insight is appreciated :)

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: BAR FISHING NEWBIE
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 07:52:33 AM »

There's this neat new feature called 'Search'  ;)

That being said - here's a very good link that should be able to answer most of your questions...

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=14513.msg142457#msg142457

Enjoy!
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »

This lengthy video that we did last year might be helpful.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/video/barfishing00.html

There are five parts. Most of the information is probably only relevant to the Fraser River, but the techniques and setups should also be useful.

Good luck.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »

After reviewing some of the information on this site, also visit some of the Fishing tackle stores in Terrace and they should be able to outfit you with the right weights and the setups that seem to be producing. If  you don't have a boat, one of the most popular spots is Ferry Island. You can't miss it as the bridge into town passes right over Ferry Island. Make sure you have a rod with enough backbone not only to handle the fish, but also so you can get back your rig, as that spot can be rocky.

slovakfisher12

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:25:02 PM »

Thanks for all the help guys. about how far from the shore do I need to cast?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:21:01 PM »

If you go to the regular bar fishing spots, other fishermen will give you an indication of the travel lane for the fish. Throw your rig, out there, put the rod in the bar fish holder, and wait.

roeman

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:29:04 PM »

The stores in town are a great source for information.
Fished up there last year from shore, huge difference then the Fraser as far as the amount of people.
Copper bar, just below the Copper river was good, also just before you get to Copper bar there is a pull out and a steep bank, good down there as well.  Hit 27 springs bar fishing between two guys in one day...
Then the river colored up a bit and the following days it slowed down..
Enjoy yourself,
Are you fishin or catchin

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:23:30 PM »

I just came back from a week of fishing  Kitimat and Skeena.We fished Skeena with bar setup and fishing was on a slow side. Next day we we fished Kitimat. Lot of springs rolling in Lower Dike, Pump and Hatchery holes but they were stale, tight lipped fish. Tried my 9wt. fly,casting metal, drifting gooey bobs etc. to no avail. Up to the point that next day we hired knowledgeable and friendly guide Andreas and backtrolled kwikfish in estuaries for springs with way better results. You will get in time for tail end of spring fishing and occasional fresh coho on Kitimat. Second part of  July is a time to be on Skeena, with all salmon species and steelhead present. It also a time when a big boys chinooks(50lb+) enter Kalum river, right at town's west end.
Good luck with your fishing