Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Commercial Chum opening  (Read 7298 times)

Nostro

Fraser River Commercial Chum opening
« on: October 19, 2004, 08:45:31 AM »

Fisheries notice #0868 and #0873 posted on DFO site indicates a commercial gill net chum salmon fishery opening for 10 hours on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 from 07:00 to 17:00. I was under the impression that coho and steelhead stocks are supposed to be protected at this sensitive time of year.
Never look a fish in the eye.

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
Re: Fraser River Commercial Chum opening
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 11:04:15 AM »

Yes Nostro, we are supposed to be protecting these valuable fish. DFO has done it again%^%$&^$%$^%. I'm so furious, angry!!!
Us sporties can't fish because even a catch & release fishery was deemed too hard on the fragile stocks.....& now a chum opening in the Fraser...What the ****? Sorry 'bout the language Rod this has got me real upset. Get involved people! This is our flagship sportfish, the most incredible salmonid on the westcoast being sold out to some subsidized commy's. Do they make money on this chum fishery?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 11:14:02 AM »

It's indeed very frustrating. Knowing that this gill net opening may easily intercept wild coho and steelhead that are Interior BC bound makes people wonder if FOC truly wants to revive these stocks.

I suggest members to contact Lower Fraser manager Devona Adams (604-666-6512 or AdamsD@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca) to express your anger and concern.

On that note, continue to flood your local MPs, fisheries minister and other relevant political figures with letters of your concern. Our letter@fishingwithrod.com is still activated so you are welcome to send over a copy of that letter as well, which will be stored in our archives for future uses.

Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa K1A 0A2
pm@pm.gc.ca

Geoff Regan, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans
Regan.G@parl.gc.ca

JP PATCHES

• Awaeyegoyemugye
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 12:05:02 PM »

Thanks for the links Rod.....this is serious stuff. All faith in our governing bodies is lost. Someone must be held accountable.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 12:34:48 PM »

You're welcome. It's indeed very serious matters. How does the authority expect individuals of the sportfishing community to respect and obey regulations given, while allowing openings that may threaten what are already endangered stocks.

I think many here, would agree, that the issue goes beyond earning the privelege to sportfish. I couldn't care less if I am not allowed to fish a particular portion of this province. I also do not feel that it is unfair that the commercial and first nation sectors get a much bigger portion of the total catches than us (my freezer is only so big after all...). What is really disappointing is eventually after years of poor management, we maybe (if not already) seeing some very special fish populations disappearing forever. :-\

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 08:44:38 PM »

DFO knows best ! ::)

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »

Umm... sports fishing for salmon has been open on the Fraser for over a week now.  So why shouldn't the commercial boys get a chance too?  The target is chums, and sports fishermen seem mainly interested in chinook and coho, so I don't see where the conflict arises.  The commercial fleet has some pretty strict regulations requiring non-target species to be released alive:

Important Note:

In order to reduce potential impacts on steelhead and coho, a maximum net
length of 100 fathoms and a maximum soak time of 30 minutes is in place for
this opening.  This means that a maximum aggregate net length of 100 fathoms
(approximately 187.5 metres) is on the drum of the vessel.  Compliance of these
conditions will be monitored during the opening. 

Fishers are reminded mandatory non-retention and non-possession of all coho,
steelhead and sturgeon are in effect and are requested to release all live
coho, steelhead and sturgeon back to the water unharmed. 

Vessel Masters are legally required to take observers onboard when requested.
Failure of Area E, Area 29 fishers to accept monitors on board may result in
charges or curtailment of fishing opportunities.

... <snip> ...

Note:
1.  All vessels participating in a chum fishery must have a functional "revival
tank" that meets the standards and is operated in the manner described in the
conditions of the 2004 Salmon Area E licence.

DFO figures the endangered stocks they were concerned about have passed through already; that's why they reopened the sports fishery.  Is that an incorrect assessment?

Although I admit the survival rate of released fish from gillnets is not as high as from seines, it is still pretty high, especially with the short nets and short soak time.  Revival boxes work.

It's DFO's job to balance access to the resource between the user groups: native, commercial and sports.  If there is a surplus that sports fishermen don't want or need, then a commercial opening should be allowed.  They have set up the regulations and observer programs to ensure compliance with the non-retention and non-possession of non-target species.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 10:20:58 PM »

The main complaint is that this is peak period for the Thompson River steelhead migration.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 10:29:59 PM »

So you're saying that this quote from DFO fishery notice FN0837 dated Oct. 6:

These opportunities are being provided on hatchery Coho only and do not pose a
threat to upper Fraser and Thompson River Coho stocks as they have already
migrated through the lower Fraser River.

is full of it?  Could be true - I'm not that familiar with these stocks.  Just wanting to clarify.  Then again they don't mention steelhead, so you might have a point.

FWIW, in my experience steelhead are stronger fish and their survival rate when released from commercial gear is better than coho.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 11:22:43 PM »

Ah.  I went over to fishbc where there is a more "lively" discussion going on and I see where everybody is coming from.

The $64,000 question is "how much steelhead mortality is too much?"  Many in the sports community say one is too much.  DFO and the province agreed on 15% back in the spring, but that was before the stock estimates came in lower than predicted.  DFO is still managing to the 15% level but the sports community feels that is no longer appropriate given the low returns and may have a valid concern.

There appears to be a whole bunch of finger pointing going on.  Right now, it may be necessary to curtail commercial fishing to limit bycatch.  But we should look at the big (historical) picture.  The Fraser has been intensively fished by gillnets for 100 years, give or take, with WAY more pressure than there is now - more boats, more openings, longer and deeper nets.  And the steelhead were doing fine until recently.

The pressure on the steelhead has increased in recent decades from many directions: increased sports fishing effort, increased native commercial fishing, climate change, habitat destruction.  The pressure has DECREASED from commercial gillnet fleets.

I personally believe that gillnets are not selective enough and their days are numbered.  My commercial fishing background is from seiners, which can be very selective.  But I really don't think the gillnets can be blamed for the demise of this fish stock, given the history behind it.

Unfortunately for them, now that the stock is so low, they may have to bear the brunt of conservation measures, even though it may not be their fault.

Man, it sucks to be a commercial fisherman these days.  I'm sure glad I sold my license a few years ago.   :(

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 07:56:03 PM »

good post reach .
i was almost afraid to suggest that the commercial boys deserve a chance too.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 09:02:47 PM »

i think dfo should stand for dumb foolish organization ;D ;D. they sure are making a mess these days with the salmon fishery ::) ::)