Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Milner Reels  (Read 9642 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Milner Reels
« on: December 07, 2006, 11:32:46 PM »

Just wanted to let anybody who has a Milner on order know that they are gonna be shipped within a week.  I read on another site that they will be heading out no later than 6 days from now. My brother has been waiting for his reel since October 6th, so He is pretty anxious to get it.  Should be nice for the upcoming Steelhead season!
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Milner Reels
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 11:51:27 PM »

I have been waiting since september 30th!!! Cant wait!!!!!! Olive green Kingfisher
weeeeeeeeeow!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 02:00:00 PM »

I am just wondering,are you guys waiting for the new bearing kingfisher or the bushing kingfisher.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 09:52:10 PM »

sam i believe he increased the price on the bushing reels to 500 while the bearing is 400
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 10:38:47 PM »

sam i believe he increased the price on the bushing reels to 500 while the bearing is 400
I think the new kingfisher(bearing or bushing)will be selling for $499.oo and the new talisman for $750.oo.Plus tax.....SO how many do you want?? ;D ;D ;D ;D

WestEast

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 12:20:32 PM »

A response from John to a recent query I made:

"At the moment, I have 4 3/8’s that are being worked on for delivery. I then plan to produce a 5” Kingfisher along side my new reel, The Quest. This will be January and February so I’m sorry, I can’t say for sure when I will be starting 4” reels again. I hope in the spring as they will be next in line after the two I just mentioned.
The 4” and 4 3/8’s are $525."

Big_E

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 12:35:03 AM »

Hello, this thread was sent to my email and thought I’d drop by to help clarify a few things as best as I can and also wished to thank you guys for your patience and support. There’s been a few set backs this fall and getting the reels back from the anodizer. I guess Vancouver is swamped with work as it has never taken five weeks for a batch to return from anodizing. All is good, now. We might even be driving them down to Vancouver ourselves when they are done so everyone doesn’t have to rely on the Greyhound.

Just wanted to let anybody who has a Milner on order know that they are gonna be shipped within a week.  I read on another site that they will be heading out no later than 6 days from now. My brother has been waiting for his reel since October 6th, so He is pretty anxious to get it.  Should be nice for the upcoming Steelhead season!

…some, unfortunately, have been waiting since July…We really hope to change this in the future and get to a point where there’s a few on the shelves of my dads dealers.

I have been waiting since september 30th!!! Cant wait!!!!!! Olive green Kingfisher

They’re more of bronze colour. Really nice this new colour and goes well with the brass bits.

I am just wondering,are you guys waiting for the new bearing kingfisher or the bushing kingfisher.

Both…and Talismans are being done at the moment as well. There’s 72 Kingfishers on the bench and 17 Talismans all in various states of assembly.

Bearing for me.....it was highly recommended from a friend out East that bought one of the prototypes to try out.  Guys that have the prototypes are raving about this reel and should get more publicity once they start to hit the local tackle shops.  Thank god Eric(son) has gone up there to help John cause I think that orders will start to pour in.  Chatting with friends and checking out other forums, looks like the Milner CP's are starting to get more noticed.

I’ve never spun a bearing reel like this. I actually don’t know what to think anymore about bearing reels. I grew up with bushings, not that I’m a seasoned guru or anything, but admired good reels that could make a reel spin. Maybe it’s my dad’s influence, I dunno, it’s like growing up around red wine all your life and scoffing at white wine…until…you put some ABEC 7’s on a nice fitting shaft and wow. It’s just odd, and very cool, to stand this reel on its saddle and let it sit there on the shop bench and the handles slowly make the reel go back and forth and eventually find its balance like a bicycle wheel.

Are the bearings the same pirce as the bushings?

Yes, for sure. SRP is now $499 CND. But all reels here that are back ordered are on the old wholesale price and should be charged at the old retail price. There shouldn't be, If there's a problem, please let us know.

I think the new kingfisher(bearing or bushing)will be selling for $499.oo and the new talisman for $750.oo.Plus tax.....SO how many do you want?? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Correct Big T. We chatted with a few retailers and customers and with the price increases in materials over the last four years, and everyone using the gas hikes as an excuse themselves, prices had to go up unfortunately. It’s been ten years since he’s had a price increase on The Talisman and never on the Kingfisher since it was first put out in 97 or 98. So, hopefully, $400 in 1997 feels like $500 today. Some suggested putting it more but my dad wouldn’t have it. He wants guys fishing with his reels.

A response from John to a recent query I made:

"At the moment, I have 4 3/8’s that are being worked on for delivery. I then plan to produce a 5” Kingfisher along side my new reel, The Quest. This will be January and February so I’m sorry, I can’t say for sure when I will be starting 4” reels again. I hope in the spring as they will be next in line after the two I just mentioned.
The 4” and 4 3/8’s are $525."

I remember typing that out for him a couple days ago. The $525 is the price directly from John. It’s tricky selling online directly while having a retail presence. Retailers don’t like it much so a consensus was reached that he will sell for $25 more than SRP and remain re-directing people as best as he can to his dealers. But this can’t always happen; there isn’t always a dealer near someone.

Thanks for hanging in there everyone. We appreciate it. We’re working around the clock except for eat and sleep out there getting them done.

Cheers,

E

ps. a new site is coming and will be hosted at www.JohnMilnerReels.com and one thing i'd really like is pictures, lots of pictures, of anyone that wants to submit them for the photo gallery? there's some great ones already for the slideshow but more is better! send them to milner(at)talismanreels(dot)com and please put "pictures" in the subject bar so i don't confuse it with something about enhancing my member... ::)  thanks all!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 10:12:24 AM by Big_E »

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 08:32:11 PM »

Hi ChromeKings,since you already used the bushing real,and now you got your bearing reel.Which one you think is a better choice.  Thanks

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 08:41:49 PM »

hubs just got 3 in, 1 was my bros that he had on order, beautiful bearing reel with a special black knob on the clicker , the reel spins awesome.

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 10:27:08 PM »

Hi ChromeKings,thanks for the reply,my local tackle already phone me today,that my milner reels already arrived,so i am going to pick it up in this few days.Thanks for the feedback

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 11:20:21 PM »

Big T,

You can't go wrong with a Milner, you'll love fishing with it!

I know,cause i still  using my talisman  ;)

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 03:08:53 PM »

Lucky you....I'd be hard pressed to buy one now even though I agree that the prices should have jumped a long time ago.  Maybe when I get my next bonus but my next purchase will either be a JW &Young Bob James/ Heritage or the new Raven Vectra T2/T3.  Why more reels......well it's just like baitcasters, different reel for different situations.  I used to collect baitcasters but since I started pinning, it's gotten addictive(I thank my wife for being understanding).  I won't just buy any reel without thorough research and input from people that have used them.  Why would you bring your steelhead setup to fish Cap Coho, ever try using something lighter to match the game you are after.  It's much more enjoyable when fighting smaller fish on lighter setups, would you enjoy catching a 2-4lbs coho on a med-heavy action rod with a large reel using 15-20lbs test? Not my Idea of a challenge but it's also a hobby for me.

ChromeKings

I am in the same shoe as you,(thanks my wife for being understanding too),I already had  2 j.w.young reel(almost new),i use my trudex ll for tha cap match with a lamiglas light pin rod,I am going to pick up my milner reel in the weekend,and i will try it out real soon.hope it is better than my islander.

The raven vectra T2/T3 is make from off shore,but that what i heard from my supplier,so do some more research before purchase.     

c-pin

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 04:13:11 PM »

It will be nice to see all those new reels on the rivers in the new year!

I went to Berry's today to see if my new Talisman was in, but I was told they are not ready yet. I understand John Milner is a very busy man right now, and his successes in the reel making business is making him even busier.

I did have a look at the new Kingfisher bearing reel ...... very nice.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 06:14:28 PM »

Im leaving right now to pic up my new KF at searun!!! Cant wait ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

BIG T

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 06:54:12 PM »

Hi ChromeKings,since i didnt pick up my reel yet,will be this weekend,cause of the work load. I heard that the new bearing reel from john is using abec7 bearing,how does it compare with your islander. 

Thanks again