Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So i killed a pink yesterday and here's what i did with the roe  (Read 8951 times)

allwaysfishin

Re: So i killed a pink yesterday and here's what i did with the roe
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 01:17:09 PM »

i sometimes add krill scent or anise glo scent. I'll keep a few tied sacks in a small jar and squirt a bunch in it.... try it.... you just might like it. seems to have no ill effect on the eggs cure

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 02:28:49 PM »

I like to freshen up my roe bags with a little scent just prior to casting.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 03:38:32 PM »

I put a couple drops of anise oil in the brew...also you can use kool aid for coloring and I think the fish like the sweetness of it..may sound dumb but have done the same with curing roe and they seem to like it quite a bit!!!
Nice stuff T. Keep busy so you don't have time for Merc's rod..Don't listen to what he says, after Christmas is fine!!!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »

hehehe too funny xgolfman... i think he's bringing the parts out tonite for the rod...  ;D
with two other custom rods on the go.... i'll have to see if i can sqeeze in the time for his....

more notes on this roe recipe.
i've never used pink salmon eggs for water hardening before, usually chum or spring.... but i really liked how these turned out... so i posted it up.

now here's the "top secret tom" :D way to scent these up
other than the above mentioned scents you can add..... try this

when you make your roe bags... put a small chunk of wool matching the egg colour, in the sack with the eggs
then..... take some loose cured eggs and in a tall glass (because they pop and are messy) squish a bunch of eggs to get the juices from them, pour it through a strainer and put it in an empty scent bottle or suitable container..... when you get to the river you have fresh eggs juice to power up your eggs sack.... the small chunk of wool in the sack will hold the scent well.... add a couple drops of anise to this juice if you want... but oh... don't leave this mix in your vest... store it in the fridge or cold garage.... it gets preety stinky ofter a week or so.... i make a fresh batch frequently

try it.... guarantee your gonna like it  ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:59:47 PM by allwaysfishin »

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 07:14:38 PM »

how are the water hardend eggs if you put them in the freezer to store
love to fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 10:42:19 PM »

Just put them in the fridge. They will last a long time.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 11:39:20 PM »

leave them in a container filled with salt water.... generally you can't use too much salt...for the curing itself and for storage  i use a ratio of 1 cup of coarse salt for every 2liters of water, shake it for several minutes to disolve as much salt as possible then pour the water into the jar of cured eggs and stick em in the fridge.... they will last for months.... i'm actually thinking of saving the ones i made in these pics for steelhead season.

I never freeze them...

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 12:04:27 AM »

i like chum eggs better! bigger and have natural orange colour, tie them in 3,4,5 eggs in a roe bag. makes very good chinook and steelhead bait! Thomas gave a very nice demenstration.
Fish killer 101

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 12:50:54 PM »

Tom, thanks for the great recipe!! perhaps this year I"ll try making some.  All my attempts have been poor so far.
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »

I tend to use singles from skeins as well but if I made singles as well as Tom's I'm sure I would fish them with a lot of confidence.  Others have yet to mention it but I started putting the various coloured stryfoam balls into my roe bags (3 to 4  per bag for my Thompson bags) several years back and they worked extremely well for me.....I'm afraid that if I don't put them in my results won't be as good.  Maybe I'm being superstitious.   :-\

Anybody else use these?   If you've tried them, did you get better or worse results with them?  Or are they just a gimmick in your opinion?

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »

thanks so much for this tip allwaysfisin. just finished my first batch and I like my first is with d reed and I let is soak for 2hrs and they are  alittle darker. my next batch will be ready tomorrow and those ones I did in organ cool-aid. for any one else I strongly recommend this meathid for all singal egg ;D ;D ;
love to fish.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 09:30:02 PM »

my next batch will be ready tomorrow and those ones I did in organ cool-aid. for any one else I strongly recommend this meathid for all singal egg ;D ;D ;
[/quote]

Organ cool-aid.....that's an interesting appoach.  Nope...won't go there ;D

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 10:21:13 AM »

Good informative post re: Water hardening.  ;D
Been doing just that with all species of eggs I've used for a decade plus now. Works, and works well!

Couple of thoughts:
- I generally run a small piece (like barely the size of your little fingernail) of cured skein roe in the bait loop in front of the roe bag. Provides scent, Loooong after the actual roe has dissolved, and all there is left is a tuft of skein. Locally know as: The Answer  ;)

The little styrofoam balls add something in the way of colour, and if you use enough, will help float the offering up off the floor. Have tried them in the past, but haven't found them to be neccessary.

The boric acid trick works well to create little rubber ball bearings, that, if thrown at the wall, might just come back and take your eye out!!  :o
Makes for incredibley durable roebags - like 30 plus casters.

Cheers,
Nog

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 10:28:48 AM »

The boric acid trick works well to create little rubber ball bearings, that, if thrown at the wall, might just come back and take your eye out!!  :o
Makes for incredibley durable roebags - like 30 plus casters.

Cheers,
Nog

LoL, i've fish with a single (boric acid added) roe bag for hours, then taken it off the hook to reuse another day. BTW if you use this method you'll find the eggs shrink once you take them out of the solution, and your roebags tend to look lame, but once they hit the water they re-expand and fill the bag tight.

fishonsteelheader

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 09:19:34 PM »

my next batch will be ready tomorrow and those ones I did in organ cool-aid. for any one else I strongly recommend this meathid for all singal egg ;D ;D ;

Organ cool-aid.....that's an interesting appoach.  Nope...won't go there ;D
[/quote]hey this worked very well and for only pennys a glass
love to fish.