Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skeena River  (Read 10048 times)

ByteMe

Skeena River
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:31:25 AM »

It's time to work on the "TO DO" bucket list.I am planning on a trip to The Skeena,The Bulkley,and/or The Kispiox this Sepetmber.Anyone have any experience on these rivers?It's a long trip,so I don't want to waste time and money exploring the area,or would it be more beneficial to book a guided trip,even though it would triple my cost.My understanding is Guides are a pretty scarce commodity at that time of year,unless you stay at one of their lodges.I am hoping to stay at campsites to keep the cost down,any suggestions would be appreciated.Since I live on the Island, my plans are to take the ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert and drive from there
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

Burkie

Re: Skeena River
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 12:40:10 PM »

What part of sept are you going? Do you have a pontoon boat?
How long are you going for?

ByteMe

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »

last week in Sept,for a week,and yes I have a pontoon boat
                                         Lefty Kreh

banx

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »

If you don't know anyone up there, I would say spend the money on a guide.  they will be able to take you to some fantastic spots by jet boat.  your money will be well spent..... really.  However, if you have friends or family that fish they will surely know a few easy access spots where your going to be in great shape to catch fish.....  the local shops in terrace will probably tell you a  couple of drive up spots as well.... if your willing to drop a few $.

though I have never fished the thompson or kispiox, I have the fraser and its tributaries.. nass and tseax etc. all amazing. your going to enjoy yourself..... might want to up the lb test on your reels. some very very big fish in those systems.

ByteMe

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »

If you don't know anyone up there, I would say spend the money on a guide.  they will be able to take you to some fantastic spots by jet boat.  your money will be well spent..... really.  However, if you have friends or family that fish they will surely know a few easy access spots where your going to be in great shape to catch fish.....  the local shops in terrace will probably tell you a  couple of drive up spots as well.... if your willing to drop a few $.

though I have never fished the thompson or kispiox, I have the fraser and its tributaries.. nass and tseax etc. all amazing. your going to enjoy yourself..... might want to up the lb test on your reels. some very very big fish in those systems.
......tks for the advice,as I was thinking about the same thing,think I'll spend the extra $$ for a guide,at least for a couple of days,as I hear most of the great spots are accessed by jet boats mainly.............well it's on the bucket list so I don't feel too bad about anteing it a few extra $$ for a memorable trip
                                         Lefty Kreh

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »

I would also hire a guide on my first trip in the area. Thank god for me I know someone that lives up there who guides and has given me an open offer to take me out  ;D

HOOK - perhaps next years bday present to myself......1 week on the Skeena and its tribs
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

joshhowat

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »

Maby I will bump into you up there. I'm going sept 8 to 16. Will be my third trip up there. If you can get steelhead down here you will do fine.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

ByteMe

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »

I would also hire a guide on my first trip in the area. Thank god for me I know someone that lives up there who guides and has given me an open offer to take me out 
>:(.........................I envy you!!.............and HOOK,tks for the imput on the Switch rod ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:57:26 PM by ByteMe »
                                         Lefty Kreh

ByteMe

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »

Maby I will bump into you up there. I'm going sept 8 to 16. Will be my third trip up there. If you can get steelhead down here you will do fine.
...........getting steelhead won't be a problem,.......Swing baby Swing!!!!!!!!!!,just finding them would be the prob.1 week isn't long enough for alot of exploring,especially when I don't know the area.Which river are you headed for?
                                         Lefty Kreh

joshhowat

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 09:24:05 PM »

Anything near Terrace. This will be my first year with a toon so can't wait to float. Woot for not having to hike.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 10:28:02 PM »

ByteMe - always glad to help a fellow angler when I can.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

banx

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 07:50:54 AM »

joshhowat, in the name of safety I probably wouldn't advise putting yourself in a pontoon and drifting down the skeena..... you would probably wanna put that pontoon in the water on say the copper river, lakelse river or the kitimat which will be smack in the middle of coho season.

all 3 of those rivers are less than 30 minutes from terrace. the copper is very accessible, just radio or call the forestry company before you begin the climb up the road.... the lakelse is a bit of a drive. like 12-15kms down a dirt road. off the highway from kitimat/terrace

each river will have a different species running. your lucky enough to hit steelhead in the copper, chinook and big northern coho in the skeena, and coho in the kitimat. some old sockeye in the lakelse too. 

this thread makes me miss home.  :'(

joshhowat

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »

Thanks for the concern but I won't be fishing the skeena I found that river to be a bit of a snag fest.

I will mainly be fishing the copper and floating up top.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

ByteMe

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 02:09:29 PM »

Thanks for the concern but I won't be fishing the skeena I found that river to be a bit of a snag fest.

I will mainly be fishing the copper and floating up top.
I heard the same thing,my initial plan was to get away from that...........damn I could stay on The Stamp and experience the same.I think this is going to take abit more planning fellow fisherman.I think we are all looking for the same thing, joshhowat,....some quiet water.
                                         Lefty Kreh

joshhowat

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »

Here is a pair from last years trip for motivation.

Eat, Sleep, Fish.