Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'Good' water height for Squamish?  (Read 10948 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: 'Good' water height for Squamish?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 04:52:11 PM »

I have not fished the squish in a few years: traditionally I'd try around the mouth of the m'quam. Is that still a good place to start? I've tried along the forest service road around the 12 mile mark as well....

Any guidance appreciated? Yo can email me if you prefer as well. Thank you.

htdub

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 10:18:23 AM »

thinking about going tomorrow, charts aren't too bad if the rain holds off (friday off woot)

ninez

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 02:20:08 PM »

Does it require winter tires to go up there now?

Ambassador

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 03:05:09 PM »

Does it require winter tires to go up there now?
Gets pretty sketchy just past where the road turns to gravel. From the Sea to Sky Forestry website:
Squamish River FSR: 
Road is extremely rough due to recent flooding. Washouts remain and travel is not advised. Travel at your own discretion; 4WD vehicle access only. You may become stranded when travelling this road and the road may be inaccessible for an extended period of time. Be prepared.

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsq/Engineering/RoadInformation.htm#SQUAMISH_FSR

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 09:53:21 PM »

thinking about going tomorrow, charts aren't too bad if the rain holds off (friday off woot)

Although water levels have dropped, visibility in the main stem is still pretty poor in the region of 1-1.5 feet (today).  It may be better tomorrow with the lower freezing level.  The Mamqaum  has good visibility 5-6 feet and therefore visibility adjacent to the lower bar is decent.

If I recall correctly you only need winter rated tires past the Alice Lake turnoff to go to whistler, or carry chain.

The FSR is clear, but pretty muddy at the moment with quite a few soft sections due to all the recent repairs.  If you have decent tires you should be ok for a little while longer until the snow arrives.  Always be careful if it rains a lot and the water levels come up as sections of the road wash out regularly and you would not want to be stranded on the wrong side.  The guidance says 4WD, but if there is no snow 2WD is ok.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 09:56:24 PM by Knnn »

eager_rookie

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 02:19:20 PM »

Winter tires are required on the whole sea to sky from lions bay and up. Visibility on the squamish was poor again today.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 05:25:09 PM »

Water was excellent this morning around the mouth of the mamquam. Bite was on a few hours before high tide until about 10:30 am or so. A lot of guys out - saw about 15 at the peak...got a nice doe on red wool (what a fluke) and broke my cheapo bonker to boot lol. Lost about 3 more. Just a good day on the river before the rains come...

https://vid.me/mSZJ

ps...adjust the video quality at above link to at least 720p or 1080p for better quality...for some reason it defaults to auto which is very blocky.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:27:27 PM by dennisK »