Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I don't want to fish the Vedder!!!  (Read 8222 times)

Nina

• Administrator
Re: I don't want to fish the Vedder!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 12:09:05 AM »

I am studying evolution and especially the origin of biological diversity. For example understand how from one ancestral salmon species emerged the 5 species that live in BC rivers.

Ah, my kind of man!  ;)  ;D

Welcome aboard, frenchy!  :)

Derek Mcl

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 08:57:41 AM »

Frenchy, you should go check out that OTHER river you mentioned.  It is very beautiful.  You may or may not hook something, but there won't be many people getting in the shot when you pull out your camera to take a pic of the great scenery and/or wildlife.  It will scrub your soul clean.

frenchy

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 09:23:36 AM »

I like fishing in general  ;D

I like flyfishing, I like gear fishing.

That is true I am only here for two years, so if steelhead is really the holy grall and if it tooks 10 seasons to catch one, perhaps I waste my time and should go fishing something else. If I want a holy grall, I have the atlantic salmon in Europe...  ;)

What are the other fisheries you are talking about Rodney

Thanks Nina

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 12:09:53 PM »

Frenchy, other fisheries are just as slow, if not more, this time of the year due to low abundance of food source and cold temperature.

From now until April, other fisheries in Southern BC include:

Squamish and Cheakamus River- Bull trout and steelhead. The steelhead fishing does not usually pick up until March and April. They are in even lower abundance than the Vedder River and it is a total catch and release fishery for all species. The fishing is slow, but like Derek said, very scenic, and photo worthy.

Sloughs and streams on the North side of the Fraser River between Mission and Harrison River - Cutthroat trout. Highly migratory, requires a lot of time to find them. Experienced anglers also do not consistently hook them as their movement is so unpredictable.

Local lakes - These are usually stocked with rainbow trout by the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery starting around mid March. The trout range between 10 and 14 inches in length.

Carp fishing - Starts as early as late February.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 12:42:21 PM »

If it's Steelhead you want I suggest waiting until the weather and water warm up in a month or so. The colder the water the slower the fish. If the crouds bother you here's a tip I got from Tom Johannesen, hit the Vedder the day after everybodies licence expires. The meat fishers don't renew their licence until they make their first trip to the interior lakes. Sice I got that advice from Tom I don't even bother with Steelies until April 1st. Also Summer Steelhead are much aggressive than their winter cousins making them allot more fun.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 10:58:21 PM »

thanks bigsteel...decided it wasn't worth bitchin about..going fishing early sunday am, don't need to fight the worlds battles today...good luck,
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 06:34:07 AM by golfman65 »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2006, 11:07:34 PM »

Not offended at all!!  I believe that everyone is entitled to there opinion!! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2006, 12:40:56 AM »

Frenchy, I recommend you PM Chris to link up with him if you want to catch a steelhead. The guy seems can't miss and he has released so many hatch steelies that I lose count.  ;D  If you like to fish w/o a lot of people around, try my style in the mid river rapids. There are rapids area less known than Tamahi.  The last 2 trips I hooked 5 fish and they were all hooked way past 9:00 AM. Two were hooked late in the day.  I have not found any one fishing near me either, in fact not a soul around to help me land my fish.  So, before you give up on the Vedder,  spend time to explore.  The fish are there, even in uncrowded spots.  Good luck.

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2006, 08:53:34 AM »

when I first started Steelin' was just myself and dad...no internet...no one we knew who fished these beasties.....was 3 yrs of 120 miles one way about 20-30 times a year....3 yrs of learnin' the ropes....no floats....simply bouncin roe-bags thru the runs..u gotta be payin' attention with this method...steel of 10 lbs hit like a small bait fish most of the time......first fish was a 12lber.....took it in some back water just downstream from the crowd.....who ever said 90% of steel are takin' by 10% of the fisherman is bang on....you need to know how to read the water....and know where fish will likely hole up betwixt runnin' rapids on their way to do the deed.....and don't use a bait just cos someone said to....if yer not hookin' up....use a different bait....another thing I found was to go smaller as the day wears on...your milage could vary

mojo

ps confidence is a major player in this game
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 08:55:32 AM by mojoman »
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

rickjames_2

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2006, 10:38:35 AM »

Allo, comme ca va? Ca va tres bien.....thats bout it from me....im not sure how busy the Chahalis(i know i didnt spell that one right :-[) and like everyone else said, find your own magic hole...or get there pretty darn early before the regulars get there...good luck...adiós amigo. :)
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

rickjames_2

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 10:46:41 AM »

oh ya..just one more thing frenchy...just wait for our summer and fall salmon fisheries...absolutely world class...you simply wont believe your fishing rod!!! :P
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 11:27:00 AM »

Alouette Lake is good all year. After they did that fertilizer thing the fish have grown quite big, not a steelhead but close. Troll for action at this time. Pay parking made me stop fishing there.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

frenchy

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2006, 03:31:39 PM »

Really thanks a lot for all your answers
It really conforts my opinion that Canadian are friendly  :D

I hope to see some of you near the river next time (but not all at the same time  ;))