Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flounder in the Fraser  (Read 15012 times)

TimL

Re: Flounder in the Fraser
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2016, 03:58:26 PM »

Gave it a solid go today at 2 locations for flounder, No luck. Too early methinks. Another weird thing I saw yesterday, was walking the dogs in Steveston and saw an Asian man with a cooler full of herring. In there was a saltwater species, a small snake prickleback. First time I've seen one caught in the fraser. Must have went right after one of the flies on the sabiki. Pretty interesting to see. Must be really salty in that channel right now. Even though pressure has died down on the dock on the boardwalk, there are still herring to be caught! Get down there people.
Caught snake pricklebacks in the salt as well, almost always in deeper water off piers. Don't like handling them at all due to the numerous dorsal spines. I wonder how they taste as I always throw them back. Went for stocked rainbows instead at nearby Lafarge Lake and got myself one for dinner..lol Will like to try a nearby slough again for cutts and bulls this weekend so flounders will have to wait till next week.

joshuag232

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2016, 01:31:41 PM »

Tried eating one when I was a kid. Really bony not bad meat though, too bad they're so thin. Caught tons in my inflatable off Kits Beach.

Speyhead

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 01:28:07 AM »

Caught snake pricklebacks in the salt as well, almost always in deeper water off piers. Don't like handling them at all due to the numerous dorsal spines. I wonder how they taste as I always throw them back. Went for stocked rainbows instead at nearby Lafarge Lake and got myself one for dinner..lol Will like to try a nearby slough again for cutts and bulls this weekend so flounders will have to wait till next week.

One thing widely used a lot by UK beach match anglers while flounder fishing is to incorporate a sequin or two (yes, the kind you see in ladies dressmaking stores) threaded onto the hook trace..... these sequins are set between brightly coloured beads, they add that extra sparkle and seem to work quite well when placed near the hook bait to attract all manner of bottom fish, like flatties, doggies, etc. ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:49:57 AM by Speyhead »

TimL

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 05:10:12 PM »

Probably be just as effective by just placing a bead or 2 on top of the baited hook...combined with a slow stop/start retrieval, should be deadly for flounder.

Speyhead

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 10:24:04 PM »

Probably be just as effective by just placing a bead or 2 on top of the baited hook...combined with a slow stop/start retrieval, should be deadly for flounder.

Yep, that's exactly how they set their rigs up with beads and sequins right next to the hook....in addition they're using tiny spoons with colored beads too and many US anglers are also using Gulp shrimp as their hook bait with great success.....Youtube is your friend. ;)