Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat Launch  (Read 9943 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: Boat Launch
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »

Pointless to argue with people who think the government is all for the fishermen. It doesn't take any education to see the lack of any effort by government to help the fishermen to gain access to fishing spots. I am not saying DFO has not done anything for the fish. I am saying for the fishermen who they sell licenses to. Name any new facilities since 1990 that DFO or the government who take in and increase our license fees have built to help out the increasing number of fishermen to access fishing spots or more parking space? In the upper Fraser, I see the opposite. Parking spaces were there but taken away from fishermen without any consultation with the fishing public.  Most of the facilities in the lower Fraser or city shore line like small fishing piers are built by municipalities who I don't think get a share of the license fees.  It is a waste of time to defend the government. If some one wants to be a poster boy for them, go ahead. I rest my case and done for this thread.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:25:56 PM by liketofish »

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »

Surrey was suppose to build 1 somewhere near the new park they were gonna make ! any one heard more on that ?

I believe boat launches would be more municipal ! I believe in Vancouver if it was a bike lane boat launch it would happen over nite ! hehe

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 06:14:24 PM »

Yeah that's what I am, a poster boy for the government lol...

The sad thing is, there are plenty of uneducated individuals who choose not to be involved in making a difference will believe whatever nonsense posted in this thread.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »

So if there not getting involved it shouldn't matter if they read it or not.

rjs

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 09:51:05 PM »

maybe we should all get together and petition all the municipalities to build boat launches... or get them included to major infrastructures.... there dredging already at surrey docks to get those coal ships in there already ! Maybe I would be more pro for these things if the built a launch  ? hhhm 

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 12:27:46 AM »

I guess I'll go to the LuLu Island  :o , its surrounded by the Fraser River and boat launches . No toll can stop me now  ;D . BTW , good responce liketofish , I couldn't agree more  8)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »

We launched at Bridgeview yesterday afternoon.  It sure was busy.  And somewhat dangerous as the container trucks just fly through there.  In order to back down the ramp, you have to pull forward, so your truck and trailer is perpendicular to a major shipping road...eeeks.

Not a place to launch for rookies.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »

I'm with liketowhine, er...liketofish.  Pave paradise and put up a parking lot!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »

I love the posts about entitlement. Its time to just accept it for what it is. Are there enough boat launches? No but seriously who pays for them? Should tax payers pay? Even the majority who will never use them?

The only way it would work is this way. Use a parking machine to dispense tickets, make numbered parking stalls, a sign from a towing company saying violators will be towed. Tow company responsible for taking care of offenders.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 10:58:15 PM »

maybe we should all get together and petition all the municipalities to build boat launches... or get them included to major infrastructures.... there dredging already at surrey docks to get those coal ships in there already ! Maybe I would be more pro for these things if the built a launch  ? hhhm
Yes , like this one  ;D
http://www.richmond.ca/parksrec/about/rentals/facilities/boatlaunch.htm
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

TNAngler

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »

Someone should just buy a little piece of land next to the river, put in a nice launch and charge people through the nose to launch there.

There were plenty of people that used to allow people to drive through their property to launch from an accessible bar but people use them as dumping grounds and too many owners were turned off it.

Down in the states there are a bunch of bars with access through someone's property that they have a gate that is locked.  If you are friends or you pay, you get a key to the lock.  If they find out you have made copies of the key though, they will change the lock and people will have to ask again for keys.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »

Drove by the Bridgeview launch & anyone who uses it should get a metal pinned on their shirt.

( or a T shirt with words  " I launched my boat at Bridgeview "

Heard stories that the McDonald Boat Launch in years past had 1 km line ups !
What a gong show that must of been.

Seen that launch at a busy time with people wanting to launch & boaters at the dock waiting to trailer their boat.
Only to have a guy back down his big boat then stop to answer his cell phone & talk for 10 minutes  :o
Talk about people looking "mad as h ".

Ya hear of stories of a big marina & launch being built in Richmond only to have the vision evaporate it seems.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:17:26 PM by A-BOATER »

rjs

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 06:42:28 PM »

bridge view marine  launch is a disaster ! but being just down the street it's all we pretty much use !
$10 for a launch u can barely use at low tide and no parking on the street cause of the construction! I'm sure it will be closed ounce they finish the road ! Oh... and people parking there cars in the spots to park ur vehicle and trailers, drives u nuts !

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 07:29:48 PM »

Oh... and people parking there cars in the spots to park ur vehicle and trailers, drives u nuts !

this!

Ian Forbes

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »

It is not up to DFO to provide boat launch sites. It is up to Municipalities and the Provincial government who benefit from anglers and the money they bring to the province in many ways other than just license fees. The western USA states are so far ahead of BC that there is no comparison. I've been ranting about this for years. And, I'm not just talking about the huge Fraser River system. You can go all the way to the Fraser's headwaters and still hardly find any proper boat launch. Vancouver Island has zilch and none on any river. What few boat launch sites that we USED to have were taken away and locked up in provincial parks. You can go out in the boonies of Idaho potato country and find several paved boat launch sites on the Snake River. They also have flush toilets. On the Missouri River and Madison River in Montana there is a paved boat launch site at every bridge crossing. And, it is all private land. How about the popular tourist towns of Uclulet and Tofino. Both survive on tourism and angler trade. Both towns have only one tiny boat launch each and no room for parking. I guess the municipalities don't like outdoor stores and the trade they bring in.