Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying A Unit For The Backroads  (Read 9984 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Buying A Unit For The Backroads
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 02:32:01 PM »

I guess either way as long as its charged.

--I hate batteries and usually carry pockets full when using radios,gps etc for whole day... but Have discovered goalzero portable solar panels that can strap on to a pack or even a vest. The smallest unit is used to charge 4 double A batteries in a pack that can either take the batteries out and exchange them or use them as a power source with usb port connections for most modern electronics...there are other similar devices by different companies but I think they are well worth the investment for off the grid camping or extended camping. goalzero also manufactures larger portable solar panels some more suited for base camps where larger energy consumption is required. I like the idea of they are basically plug and play as I am somewhat challenged with the use of modern electronics.

GordJ

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 05:15:30 PM »

Another option is the iPad. Free topo maps, cheap programs including Navionics and a screen that is big enough to see without the glasses. GPS is accurate and seems to pick up satellites as well as my Garmin gps.

yakideath12

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 04:31:54 AM »

Come on... :o

Smart phone is cellphone.... its not an outdoor GPS...

smart phone GPS works without network signals..yah... but have you guyz tried it in the forest? ( I am not talking about stanely park or capilano park)

GordJ

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 06:31:56 AM »

smart phone GPS works without network signals..yah... but have you guyz tried it in the forest? ( I am not talking about stanely park or capilano park)

Yes

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 10:52:28 AM »

Yes. 

Don't forget all smartphones are not equal.  Specifically I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I would marry it if I was allowed.  I might have an affair with the S3 if she lets me.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »

just bought a montana 650 and love it. the touch screen is great and also makes it user friendly. tracking is essential when using backroads or no road at all. i bought mine from gpscity.ca. best price i found locally.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:36:53 AM by bigblockfox »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 11:36:13 AM »

Yes. 

Don't forget all smartphones are not equal.  Specifically I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I would marry it if I was allowed.  I might have an affair with the S3 if she lets me.

i have the same phone and would not rely on it for backroads. its not waterproof and its battery life is not good.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »

its not waterproof and its battery life is not good.

Good Points.  These are definitely the major limitations.  In the rain mine is in a Ziploc and I have an extra battery as well as a AA charger.

However, in a vehicle driving on the backroads, the phone is always charged and rain isn't an issue.

fullahead

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 08:17:02 AM »

Chris
         I have an old laptop, with back road map from GPS Central. You can buy for one hundred dollars a Zenstar GPS receiver that plugs in to you USB port.

I have Nobeltec Marine charts as well loaded on the computer and navigate a tugboat all over the BC coast with same computer. Zenstar receiver is used by most of the commercial fish boat on the coast.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »

For a few years now, I have been using a laptop with an external GPS unit.
The GPS unit (I'll have to wait until I get home to check the model) connects to the laptop with Bluetooth so you will need a USB Bluetooth unit as well.

I think I paid around $75 for the GPS unit and $20 for the Bluetooth unit.

In addition to the hardware, you will need mapping software.
For road travel, I have been using "Microsoft Streets and Trips".

For off road, I use the digital copy of the "Backroads" book.

I put a post up here a few years ago: http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=10978
Which links to another post: http://fishbcforum.com/index.php?showtopic=51742

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 11:30:39 AM »

Take the T out of Morton.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 08:29:46 AM »

Noticed that Canadian tire have a couple of units on sale in the new flyer that starts today.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

fullahead

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »

The reason I am suggesting the Zenstar GPS receiver is, it’s hard wired into the USB port. I have an old computer for off road use.

Android has an app called, BackCountry Navigator Android. This app downloads software that turns you cell phone into a GPS receiver independent of a data plan, or cell reception.   You download maps for the area you want.

The Zenstar, with BC off road maps gives you a lot more detail , for off road use that’s what you want.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »

Thanks all again, you all have been very helpful. This is #3 on my list as buying a portable DVD player and a VHS to DVD converter so I can get over 20 year old VHS tapes converted before they disintegrate. Should I ask here what to buy on this thread too. ;D ;D

GordJ

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »

Try this and use the extra time on the water. http://www.dvdhome.ca/. He did some Super 8 to dvd for me and I am very happy.