Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's your setup?  (Read 7846 times)

Lumps

What's your setup?
« on: December 13, 2007, 04:09:20 PM »

Now that we're are getting into Steelhead season, what are we using for our steelhead set ups. I know you can have many different setups but what is your favorite?

Here's mine that I use most of time,  Sage 3113M, Superba CP or my MacDonald CP, have to give both pins equal amount of time on the river! Don't want them to get jealous of each other! ;D

Cheers Lumps.
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: What's your setup?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 04:23:12 PM »

St.Riox 10'6 8-14lb medium light rod, with a 6500C3 loaded with 15lb. Very nice action to this rod.
Fish killer 101

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 04:25:52 PM »

Scott Arc 1308, either hardy Marquis salmon 2,bougle or Ross momentum...600gr skagit, airflow delta or CND line!!!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 04:45:40 PM »

Sage 3113m with a milner snipe.
However may rotate through my collection of pins
weeeeeeeeeow!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 04:59:21 PM »

talon L2 with a shimano citica 200dpv, 15# mono or 17# fireline ..... and i might build up a sage 2106mb (brown blank  ;D ) i've had tucked away and pair it with my shimano "antares" calais and 12# mono

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 05:55:45 PM »

talon L2 with a shimano citica 200dpv, 15# mono or 17# fireline ..... and i might build up a sage 2106mb (brown blank  ;D ) i've had tucked away and pair it with my shimano "antares" calais and 12# mono

boooya thats a sweet reel

wanted to get one but too much so i went for tica
hardware == fish

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 06:03:33 PM »

Thompson setup is Sage 4120 with Silex Superba which is my go to reel...have had it since 4th grade (cost my dad $25 way back then in '64), mid size river setup is Sage 3113MB with either Superba or Islander Steelheader, and small river setup is either Sage 3106 or 2106 with one of those pins.   If I chuck spoons on the T I'll use my 3106 (has sliding reel seat) with  my Calcutta TE.

When the weather warms up and there's fewer anglers in the spring I plan on using my Echo 2 spey rod, Islander LX4.8, and either a Rio or Airflo Skagit system with inter-changeable tips.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 06:04:47 PM »

for our lowermainland flows i use my custom built sage 2106B armed with the Calcutta and 12lb mono , would find it very hard to go with anything else.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 06:09:34 PM »

G Loomis 11'4" GL2 with a Gold Islander (Big River), Rainshadow 8'6" 6-12lb Custom build with a JW Young Trudex (Small River), or for spoons a Convergence (plan to upgrade) and a Diawa Luna.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 06:57:07 PM »

Thompson setup is Sage 4120 with Silex Superba which is my go to reel...have had it since 4th grade (cost my dad $25 way back then in '64), mid size river setup is Sage 3113MB with either Superba or Islander Steelheader, and small river setup is either Sage 3106 or 2106 with one of those pins.   If I chuck spoons on the T I'll use my 3106 (has sliding reel seat) with  my Calcutta TE.

When the weather warms up and there's fewer anglers in the spring I plan on using my Echo 2 spey rod, Islander LX4.8, and either a Rio or Airflo Skagit system with inter-changeable tips.

Sissy, you need to suffer more in the winter with that spey!!! ;D

P.s. I should add,when and if it warrants it, I have a custom beulah 13'6" pin rod which i'll fish with a 5"milner bearing or bushing model!!! Small systems I'll use my little lamiglass Dave Vedder pin rod 10'6",
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 06:59:09 PM by Xgolfman »

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 07:14:37 PM »

LOL 10'6" is little?! PFFT, nothing beats fishing tiny streams with a #2 Drennan, 2 splitshot, #6 and a jensen egg.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 07:58:04 PM »

Local flow 1409LGL and a Marquis #2, skagit line mainly.  Couple other set-ups for different waters.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 09:51:59 PM »

10$ hub sports discount rack rod, and a abu reel, all for about a 100 bucks. Use it for salmon and steelhead, and works great.
The Bigger The Better!

troutmuncher

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 12:26:04 AM »

What would be the best and longest rod for a spinning reel for river fishing with a foam float? salmon, steelie or trout.Dont want to get into a baitcaster reel picking out birdnests wasting precious time.Sure would like to know what type and size of hook or bait presentation you use too.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 12:41:41 AM »

Spinning rod/reel setup is not ideal for float fishing in a river unless the current flow is very slow (ie. slower than walking pace). Because it lacks the free spooling feature, you would need to open and close the bail of your spinning reel several times per drift so line is fed out as the float drifts downstream. Also, the drift would not be smooth as there would be pauses at times when you feed the line out manually. This can be labour intensive, even more frustrating and time consuming than attempting to get used to a baitcasting reel.

That being said, I do use a spinning rod/reel setup for river float fishing from time to time simply because it is something different to try out. It also allows me to change up to a spoon casting setup with ease. There isn't one single best length for this purpose, as everyone has a different body height, arm length and preference on fishing style. Generally look for rods that are between 8.5 to 10.5 feet long. Shorter rods make float fishing more difficult as your float depth is limited by the rod length. Longer rods such as 10.5' allows you to drift better as it keeps more line off the water surface than shorter rods.

If birdnesting is a problem when using a baitcasting reel, perhaps the tension knob when the reel is free spooling needs to be tightened. In addition, starting with a larger float and heavier weight can speed up the learning process. As you become more familiar with your reel, you can downsize your setup and you would be amazed by how smooth the casts can be even with a very tiny amount of weight on.