Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rod advice: 7'6" to 8" 2 piece ML spinning rod  (Read 4193 times)

BananasQ

Rod advice: 7'6" to 8" 2 piece ML spinning rod
« on: July 24, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »

I am looking to get a general purpose "lighter" fish rod, generally for smaller trout but able to handle up to the pinks at the top end.  I'd like a decent casting length on it, so I am looking at a 7.5 to 8 foot Medium Light rod, and I have been around a few places including Sea Run and not found what I need. Amundson used to have a perfect one (http://www.amundson.ca/gfishingrods/1) but after calling I found that was discontinued a year or two ago.  Happy to order online as I tried to go local, failed, and don't need it for a week or two.  Any pointers on a good rod up to $150 that fits that spec would be most appreciated and I am sure that the fishing gods will smile upon you.  ;D

doja

Re: Rod advice: 7'6" to 8" 2 piece ML spinning rod
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »

Shimano caluris (not spelt right) should have one but it'll probably be longer to allow for the differences in backbone from butt to tip. Mines 13' and has landed chum, springs but a 1 lb coho also is a decent fight with it. 

Maybe kuffa (probably also not spelt right), lol

BananasQ

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 05:18:19 PM »

Hmmm... On the shimano website the Clarus tops out at 7'.

doja

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 05:25:07 PM »

Not the steelhead section...

Kufa also has pretty good pricing and might even be local allowing for a quick ship out. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:30:57 PM by doja »

Zackattack

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 11:11:34 PM »

I have 2 Fenwick spinning rods around that length in light and medium light and love them.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:23:57 PM by Zackattack »

jessestmars

• BC Fishing Journal
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 09:01:04 AM »

Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 on Cabelas has a good option close to your specs. $70 is a steal in my opinion. There's 9 models available. Here are the specs for the longest length model at 9'.

Model: USSP902M   
Length: 9 feet
Lure Weight (oz):  1/8 - 3/4   
Power: Medium
Line Weight: 4-20

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/63414/shakespeare-ugly-stik-gx2-spinning-rod

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 09:14:16 AM »

Honestly just by two. I really like the light rod i just bought for trout but its probably a bit to light for pinks. If you do a lot of fishing for trout there is nothing like a nice light weight rod that just looks awesome when the trout hammer it!

BananasQ

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 09:21:13 AM »

Yeah, I am beginning to think that there may be a reason that there aren't these middle rods.  I think a nice, lighter steelheader rod in the 8.5 to 9 foot range such as the Okuma SST-S-862ML. I've looked up the beach casting rod that Riverside sold me years ago and it is Downrigger rod, so I am not shocked it a a bit of a pole.  I can "borrow" the daughters nice Light spinning set up when going for trout.

sockeyed

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:31:36 AM »

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Okuma-SST-Kokanee-Spinning-Rods/751775.uts

I just bought this 7'6" 4-10lb kokanee rod. Fits your description of what you are looking for.

I can confirm it handles pinks  ;D

BananasQ

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 09:53:30 AM »

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Okuma-SST-Kokanee-Spinning-Rods/751775.uts

I just bought this 7'6" 4-10lb kokanee rod. Fits your description of what you are looking for.

I can confirm it handles pinks  ;D

A-ha! Thanks sockeyed. :)

doja

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 10:50:08 AM »

As far as middle rods there is... There's 13' noodle rods that have 4 to 8 pound ratings that preform well even for casting small lures.... Only look at the specs and decided on what you intended to do with it. I'd  personally go for a lighter line rating rod that's longer unless you intend to cast big lures like buzz bombs.... Lines specs, lure rating,  length,  and power taper are the important things to look at. Ignore a categories as it means absolutely nothing except very basic general types.

KarateKick

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 02:02:30 PM »

Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 on Cabelas has a good option close to your specs. $70 is a steal in my opinion. There's 9 models available. Here are the specs for the longest length model at 9'.

Model: USSP902M   
Length: 9 feet
Lure Weight (oz):  1/8 - 3/4   
Power: Medium
Line Weight: 4-20

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/63414/shakespeare-ugly-stik-gx2-spinning-rod

I have seen this one and the line rating confuses me.  4lb suggests a light rod and 20lb suggests a heavy rod.  In what situations do you use a rod with such a big range of line weights?

KarateKick

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 02:06:04 PM »

Shimano caluris (not spelt right) should have one but it'll probably be longer to allow for the differences in backbone from butt to tip. Mines 13' and has landed chum, springs but a 1 lb coho also is a decent fight with it.

As far as middle rods there is... There's 13' noodle rods that have 4 to 8 pound ratings that preform well even for casting small lures....

I don't understand the part about length versus backbone.  Why is a 13' better than the 7'6" to 8' range?

doja

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 05:32:08 PM »

You have sections to a rod... The tip, mid and butt. The butt is stiff and the tip soft with the middle as transition peice hence things like medium power. The shorter the rod the less transition. A 9' rod is fine but a 7' is less desirable in my opinion. A 4 to 20# means soft tip and stiff butt which can handle #20 tugging. A 4 to 8 means more of the rod will flex more and not be ideal for a #20 tug vs 4 to 20 where the forward section will flex more and the butt is more stiff but capable of more pulling on it. The 13' was not a great example but the longer it is the better it'll cast lighter gear and be good enough for small trout as it can load the rod and flex vs needing a heaver rod to load power into and not a lot of flex (crappy fight on smaller fish) . So many variables and fishing requirements,  rod types, and fishing styles/preferences ....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:35:48 PM by doja »