Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First official FN driftnet opening starts this weekend  (Read 2364 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
First official FN driftnet opening starts this weekend
« on: June 18, 2005, 02:01:18 AM »

The first official drift fish opening has been given to the Cheam band starting at 08:00 Sat. June 18th to 20:00 Sunday June 19th.  The location of the drift nets is from Jespersen to the top of Jones hill, which is the same as last year.

Ho whacker

Re: First official FN driftnet opening starts this weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 08:58:14 AM »

Hopefully theres enough salmon to get through the drift netting this year.
Theres no fish in the harrison I swear ;)

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
Re: First official FN driftnet opening starts this weekend
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 09:45:25 PM »

I'm pretty unhappy at how an activity, that was illegal has been now made 'legal'. Makes me think DFO is pretty gutless and are just trying to look like they are in control by allowing these, whom I consider not much more than terrorists, get their way. It should be noted that there hasn't been any consideration to this method and its highly effective catch rate which means many more fish are being caught during an opening. I believe that the extent of monitoring on this section of the Fraser comes from the Cheam themselves who hire their own monitors to report the amount of fish being caught. How is that for a fox watching the henhouse????  ::)

Which brings my next question. Now that Cheam are determined to use this drift net method, will it mean they will need to spend less time on the river? If they can catch their food and ceremonial needs much more quickly, can we expect to see a much lower amount of set net openings and drift net openings?

Or will there be concern of those who use set nets only and how they will suffer. If a concern, will the lack of opportunity for set net users be DFO's problem or the poacher's among the Cheam band who would be affecting others among the band? My guess is that the fish, as always, will take the punishment for the problems jointly created by DFO and the poachers.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?