Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soft baits for bass.  (Read 8080 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: Soft baits for bass.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 08:46:57 AM »

hey fish if you ahve room for another in that inflatable let me know ill meet you out at katzie one day and give you a leason on bass in bc lol i love bass fishing i ahve like 10 tackle baxs full of tackle and well its pretty much all i fish for there are soem monster mean like 6 pounders in katzie
Hi Noxcape, that would be great.  It's always good to head out with someone who shares the same passion.  The inflatable is big enough for two but only just - flyfishing with two would be impractical but it should be OK with standard baitcasters or spinning rods.   Unfortunately I don't have an electric motor so, hopefullly, rowing would be OK. [ When I come into more cash I will look into a jon boat with trailer but that is going to be some time away from now sadly]

When do you start going after these?   I have had surgery on my right hand so I am out of comission for the next two weeks or so but, after that, I am itching to get out.   If it's OK I will email you as soon as I able to start getting out, we can figure something out I am sure.

noxcape

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 02:33:24 PM »

i have a battery and a motor let me know when your back in commision the next two weeks if we have some nice weather the fishing will deffinatly pick up what kind of inflatable do you ahve anyways

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 04:54:04 PM »

Its the Seyvlor Fish Hunter shown in the link below (The smaller 9' version.  Very portable but I sometimes wish I had gone for the 12' model)

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=37053&hvarTarget=search&hvarAID=&cmCat=2222206

I have never tried mounting an electric motor but it does have attachements for the 12V Seyvlor trolling motor (18lb thrust) - hopefully it is not model specific.  As soon as the right hand is working properly I will get in touch with you - it's healing up pretty fast so it may even be possible before the end of this month.

Looking forward to getting out. Hopefully the weather will pick up because it sucks right now.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 01:20:40 AM »

hey steel if you ahve a car topper or even flat bottom boat i could take you out one day adn teach you  the ropes and yes the place on the other side of the dycke is katzie slough

Hey Noxcape, thanks very much for the offer to help a bass newbie like me. Nothing better than to learn from a bass pro. I have an old inflatable which I haven't used for eons. I have a float tube for flyfishing. But my friend does have a nicer & newer inflatable. I think he may have a small motor too. Perhaps we can arrange a trip late April or early May with him. Let me know if you are available then. You can email me at steelhawk1@gmail.com

Thanks,

Steelhawk

noxcape

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 06:38:49 PM »

you know if eather of you ahve a truck we could use my boat its sitting at my paretns in aldergrove the only reason i cant get it out is becuase my truck decided it didnt like its engine anymore lol so im jsut driving a small car now lol ok well not that small lol is a new yorker but i deffinatly cant put it on the roof but yeah when ever you guys want to get out let me know here is my address also andyfournier61@hotmail.com

ESF

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 09:39:13 PM »

frogs are top water bait... the most fun you'll have, if properly executed.

If you are going to Carolina rig a bait, try a 4” lizard in brown.

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 01:16:06 AM »

The go to soft bait for bass are the Gary Yamamoto Senkos in 4 in or 7 in.  Go with dark at night and rig it weedless.  I have been unable to locate Senkos around here but down in the States you will definitely find them in every angler's tackle!!!!  No weight, just offset hooks and you are good to go.  If you are fishing from the boat you can even rig it whacky style for more action...

The trick with soft plastics is to have many different colors and continue to try different ones until you start consistently hooking fish.  Before even casting the plastics try a locator bait first (ie: tandem spinnerbait) and try and get a strike....then go right back into the same spot with your Senko.
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

noxcape

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 03:31:33 AM »

there is a store in langley that sell a prodcut from big bite called a trick stick its the exact same as a senko try them out there just as good and not as pricey

fish fishburn

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 04:43:51 AM »

Hey Fishseeker, if your fishing smallmouth the tube jig is probably your best bet. My favorite color is pumpkinseed its green with black specs in it. Try it with a 1/8 oz jig head inserted in the tube body. A 7 ft medium action rod with 6 to 8 lb test should be fine. Cast let it sink to the bottom and lift your rod tip a few inches and reel in any slack line wait a few seconds and repeat. Watch your line for any movement or if you feel a tap reel in any slack line and set the hook hard. Small crankbaits also work when there turned on as do spinnerbaits. As for the big largies in the heavy slop I use a 7ft medium/heavy rod with 50 lb braid. 1/4 oz skirted jig with a weed gaurd and tipped with a big crawfish plastic bait. My favorite colour for this method is black and blue. This rig is a big fish slayer. If there more finicky I will use a weightless 6 in Sluggo or berkley power slug in black or white rigged weedless with a 5/0 offset gammy hook. Cast out on the pads and reel it back slowly when you find an open spot in the slop let it sink to the bottom and wait a few secs and give it a little shake then continue. Most of the time they will hit it as soon as it hits the water on your cast so cast and let it sink and hold on if you see your line moving sideways reel in any slack line and set the hook really hard as hard as you can hard. 5 inch flipping tubes rigged weedless with a 5/0 gammy offset hook is also a big fish bait green with gold fleck is my favorite fished the same way as the sluggo. Good luck.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 07:16:41 AM »

Hey Fishseeker, if your fishing smallmouth the tube jig is probably your best bet. My favorite color is pumpkinseed its green with black specs in it. Try it with a 1/8 oz jig head inserted in the tube body. A 7 ft medium action rod with 6 to 8 lb test should be fine. Cast let it sink to the bottom and lift your rod tip a few inches and reel in any slack line wait a few seconds and repeat. Watch your line for any movement or if you feel a tap reel in any slack line and set the hook hard. Small crankbaits also work when there turned on as do spinnerbaits. As for the big largies in the heavy slop I use a 7ft medium/heavy rod with 50 lb braid. 1/4 oz skirted jig with a weed gaurd and tipped with a big crawfish plastic bait. My favorite colour for this method is black and blue. This rig is a big fish slayer. If there more finicky I will use a weightless 6 in Sluggo or berkley power slug in black or white rigged weedless with a 5/0 offset gammy hook. Cast out on the pads and reel it back slowly when you find an open spot in the slop let it sink to the bottom and wait a few secs and give it a little shake then continue. Most of the time they will hit it as soon as it hits the water on your cast so cast and let it sink and hold on if you see your line moving sideways reel in any slack line and set the hook really hard as hard as you can hard. 5 inch flipping tubes rigged weedless with a 5/0 gammy offset hook is also a big fish bait green with gold fleck is my favorite fished the same way as the sluggo. Good luck.
Hey thanks,  I have been out fishing for bass a lot since this post but not doing much lately on account of the cooler weather and the Salmon season.   Most of the water I have been fishing has been very shallow (no more than 4 feet) so I was just using senko's with no weight at all - just flipping them out and hoping for a hit on the sink or retrieve.  Worked pretty well.    I will come back to your comments when I head out next year though :)

ESF

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 05:43:47 PM »

hey y'all, i really am glad that there are more people who enjoy fishing for bass!

looking forward to that jamboree that happens on osoyoos in may...

tight lines,