Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What don't kill you, makes you stronger...or something like that...  (Read 2336 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish

Well it rained today on the Vedder, Me and Merc headed out around 8 after Merc got his waders back and was dry on the inside for a change..No TR as some of us poor buggers have to work...Speaking of bugs, I picked up some at Reaction, they were kind enough to donate to the less fortunate a cup full that someone had dropped off the day before...(at the end of the day when I dropped back in, I found out the "Proper" method for putting them on the hook, guess my way was a bit messed up)
We hit mid river and it was seriously dumping on us..water clarity was a foot to a foot and half at best...We hit our section hard with bugs, worms, roebags, jigs I think? spinners??? We walked a good mile down fishing...Saw some great water but the lack of any clarity really made it tough...
Headed up above Ranger after that, was surprised that the clarity up there was only around a foot or two as well...Very surprised by that too..Only one other guy was out there and he was heading out...He hadn't seen anything all day either...Got a chance to fish the spot I got my first hatchery trout earlier...and I got one solid bump fishing that area but no hook up...I was standing near the end of the run..looking at two sweet tail outs if the water would have been clearer..I heard a noise and looked out and saw a serious section of the new clay bank slide down and into the river.. :-[  That slide looks like it's going to go bad really soon...I wouldn't be surprised if it slide down and blocked the river over on that side...Might be an improvement after it cleared if that happened...
Headed down to Borden after that...It was pretty milky...nearly no vis. so only fished it briefly then headed out...
Merc and I didn't know what to do after that, we debated on a few spots but as we came back down the water was too colored up to stop...Finally decided that we'd give the campground a quick shot and then call it a day...Again, Vis. was pretty poor, maybe..and that's a BIG maybe..a foot of Vis. We hit a run we'd talked about, no one else on the river but an old timer wandering back up...This time I did catch something....a stick, and the bottom....
Sun finally came out and it was a nice late afternoon, of course with the sun came the wind...man, it was howling at times, so that was the final nail in our coffin...
Can't say it was a happy ending but I think we both still felt it was a good day on the river all the same...It's frustrating not catching anything but it wasn't for lack of trying...We sure saw allot of the river today...Hope it clears up by this weekend...pea soup today... :'(

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: What don't kill you, makes you stronger...or something like that...
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 07:55:50 PM »

It is suppose to rain till Saturday and then only rain a little on Sunday. Glad I am going cutty hunting. I also herd that there was some netting going on this week on the veddar. There was a couple of smaller steelhead caught that had fresh net marks on them  :'( .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 08:01:34 PM »

Thanks for the report X, its nice to know what the water conditions may be like cause for some people its a good long drive up to find the waters not workable. Sorry you two did'nt get one but you guys sure covered the water.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 08:09:56 PM »

What didn't kill us only made us wet.  But no fish today but H Uppmans, flavor of the day.  I think that I only go fishing so I can get out of the house and smoke cigars.  I'm hungry. 
President Club S. C. & P.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 08:13:30 PM »

What didn't kill us only made us wet.  But no fish today but H Uppmans, flavor of the day.  I think that I only go fishing so I can get out of the house and smoke cigars.  I'm hungry. 

Maybe the fish don't like our smoke???

Geez....i'm hungry too..

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 08:09:11 AM »

Been there, seen that.
Good report XG. It was still a good day to be out.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 10:11:20 AM »

golfman, we had the same conditions when we went last saturday, ranger was 2- 3 1/2 but no big deal. Those clay banks are a huge problem and there is no point in fishing the vedder until they do something about them.

Ranger run compared to what it used to be sucks! It used to be so much nicer, used to fish it alot, now no point!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 10:22:51 AM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 05:11:23 PM »

golfman, we had the same conditions when we went last saturday, ranger was 2- 3 1/2 but no big deal. Those clay banks are a huge problem and there is no point in fishing the vedder until they do something about them.

Ranger run compared to what it used to be sucks! It used to be so much nicer, used to fish it alot, now no point!

Yup No point fishing the Vedder !!  you had better stay home  ;D ;D

Why am I so hungry ?

TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Kelso

• Steelhead 6 Kelso 35
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 05:36:35 PM »

Hey Merc, do you and XG find smoking larger stogies outdoors tends to mess up the flavor? I tried smoking Monty #2's outside and found they tasted so much better in the confines of a cigar store lounge.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 09:17:22 PM »

Hey Merc, do you and XG find smoking larger stogies outdoors tends to mess up the flavor? I tried smoking Monty #2's outside and found they tasted so much better in the confines of a cigar store lounge.

Nope.  I find they taste just as good outdoors as at home.   Mind you, roe, and shrimp and anise oil and all sorts of nasties on your fingers that get on your stogie might affect the flavor.  Keep your hands clean.  Or, at home when you're sipping a nice tawny port with your cigar, it does improve the flavor somewhat in my opinion.
President Club S. C. & P.