Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River Tubing  (Read 13734 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Vedder River Tubing
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:15:10 PM »

Started tubing today just up from Snipers. Main channel has moved to the back side of the river, and it is alot of bushwacking to get to it, so we stuck to the side channel that eventually meets up with the main just up from the bridge. The main channel along the back of the river is absolutley packed with trees by Snipers there, so I wouldn't reccomend taking it.

Right now the river is perfect for tubing (a little cold but it wasnt too bad after around 5 mins). The river is at the perfect height were it won't kill you, and you wont be scraping you butt on the rocks either. Visibility is about 3 feet so when you can see bottom it is safe to stand up.

Some Tips : Stick to the right side of the river from the Vedder Bridge down as that is where most of the rapids are   ;D
                : The big log at Peach in the middle of the river is not a big deal, don't worry, the current takes you around it.
                : The big hole just above Lickman road has a log jam that the current pushes into, one of our buddies hit it today (remeber NEVER push off anything with your feet, it is instinct but it will do you more harm than good, just turn sideways and your tube will either bounce off and bump around logs, rocks, etc or you will go over them *might wanna keep your butt up when going over*). When you go that way I would either exit above the that stretch or start kicking WELL above it, as the current there is strong.
                : About halfway between Lickman Road and the Train Bridge there are some very HUGE rapids, yes they are safe to go over, there are no logs below them   ;D
                : Just before the train bridge you will see a very large wake, dont go over it, there is a very big log just behind it, and below the surface, and it will hurt.
                : Best place to stop is the long stretch before the train bridge, lots of time to get out and nice tapered beach. The sun hits it until around 7 pm if you wanna warm up or dry off before you leave.
                : For the most part stick to the channels on the left, as they seem to be deeper, with more rapids, and don't have as much debris.

Some Quick Advice : Don't push off things with your feet or arms
                     : Try to be curteous if fishermen are around, dont splash around and jump off your tubes and other crap you might do with buddies
                     : When trying to kick across the river, or avoid something, point you back towards downriver and kick with the current, not         straight across, this will help you move alot faster.
                     : Dont get Drunk (lots of people bring tons of beer along and get hammered)! It's not safe out on the river. Take pop instead.

Good Luck and have Fun   ;)
Dan

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder River Tubing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 11:00:27 PM »

good job going over safety issues.  I can't emphasize enough.  Respect the power of water and be extremely careful around wood.  I guarantee you, you are not strong enough to pry yourself out from under a log with the current pressing against you. 

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:40:04 AM »

Did you give up already?
The Bigger The Better!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »

how is this even legal?

i'm not trying to start a fight - but why is going down a river without a safety vest (I noticed you did not mention a life preserver) even allowed?

there are better ways to have fun plus it is not very zen with the river - and if i have to explain that to you there is little chance you will get it.

i understand riding rapids like the fraser by professional guides and proper gear; but this is like trying to climb a mountain in your flip flops...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:31:38 AM by dennisK »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 08:27:30 AM »

Being that I am a pretty experienced river rafter I am going to weigh in on this. Going down a river with class 2 and class 3 rapids without a PFD is stupid. Always remember to try and stay as high in the water as possible. The Vedder is mainly classified as a class 2 and 3 BUT their are a couple sections classified as class 4's. I do NOT recomend going in a tube down any class 4 rapids. If you are unsure of where these are speak to the boys at Chilliwack River Rafting. When I started out I did many trips wth them. The owner ( Russ ) is an awesome guy and I have done many trips with him including doing the Stein River which has class 4 and 5 rapids which includes  waterfall.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 10:19:25 AM »

Don't forget most of the people tubing down this river are the younger folks or ones that have had a few drinks in them to the point where common sense is gone. We all did things that where not so smart when we where young(at least I know I did) . I hope these young people that read this and decide to go down the river in a tube take what is typed in this thread and don't take it as criticism but as advice from people that know what a river can do. Too many of us have been on the river and have witnessed someone in trouble or even drowning and there has been nothing they could do to help.
Remember to play safe and don't be a statistic.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:56:46 AM »

Hmmmm probably not a great idea to do it without wearing a pfd!!

You obviously had a good time, hope you consider wearing a pfd next time, even if it does look goofy.  Consider what would happen if you slipped off at some point and hit your head on a rock below those "huge rapids"....wouldn't really matter how good a swimmer you were....and don't tell me you've never hit your head on anything before....it happens.  At least with a pfd your head will stay out of the water when you're bobbing down the river unconscious with your friends desperately yet feebly trying to catch up to you.  I've SEEN this in mission creek in kelowna.  A few people have died doing it over the years.  Just do what you can to make sure it isn't you.

Wait till you do a drift in a pontoon.  You'll be in love.  It's ok to be safe and have fun at the same time.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »

if anyone seriously wants to drift it in a tube I suggest wearing flippers. They can save your life as you can steer yourself 100 times better with them.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »

I have no problem watching people float down the vedder with the high water, but I do have a problem for the people who lack common sense while doing it. But not all people are in it for the lesiurely float down the river, some are also in it for the risk, the adrenline kick, and they want that sense of that they could die if they do something wrong. I presonally would wait till august when the waters low enough that your butt rubs against the rocks all the way down, just a tad to high and fast for my liking right now.

The Bigger The Better!

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »

I guarantee you, you are not strong enough to pry yourself out from under a log with the current pressing against you. 

I had to do that last year. Not fun, pretty much ripped all the muscles in my upper body.

Watch out for sweepers and stay to the inside !!!!!!!!!!
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 12:31:50 PM »

I have read reports of people being pulled under wood in less than 2' of class 1-2 water and drowned.  These people had no experience with tubing and did not respect the amount of hydraulic force that water can apply.  Unfortunately for them, their loved ones learned the hard way.     

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 03:37:08 PM »

Yes I know all of this and thank you for the concern about lifejackets. First off there are 2 types of lifejackets, go with the PFD, the PFD will flip you onto your back in times of trouble, the other one will sometimes flop you onto your stomach (I know this from lifegaurding). Personally I would not wear one in the Vedder, not because it looks silly, but because I beleive it could do more harm thean good.

We hit a log jam 2 years ago, the very first time I went out. If we had been wearing lifejackets we all would have been dead, without them on we were able to swim under the jam and get out to the other side without being hurt too badley. I would not reccomend ever swimming under a Jam, that was a stupid mistake, if you can go over top of it. The thing with lifejackets is they get hooked very easy, and with sooo many trees, branches, sweepers on this river you may get hooked even when you are not in trouble. If you get hooked you are pretty much screwed, since the current is still strong enough to push you under.

The best way to do things is if you see something coming get out of the water, if you are going to try to go around it start kick well upstream with your back pointing downriver so you are not fighting the current. Also a rule for rapids is if they are higher than your head, they can flip you on a tube easy. If you feel like you are going to flip, lean forwards and you should make it over.

I cannot stress this next peice of advice enough. NEVER push off of anything. The current is way to strong and will hit you from beind and flip you. This is a natural instinct but if you don't do it, you will be glad. The tube will bounce off or go around. Even if you dont bounce or go around it is still better than being hit from behind by a wall of water.

I know alot of people will wring me out for this post about the lifejacket thing, but it is only my opinion. Everyone has their own opinion, just go with what you feel safe with doing. Make sure you can swim, be safe, and go have fun.
Dan
And Marmot, yes, I've hit my head before. It hurts when you get a bad concussion  :'(

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »

I swim and float tube in lakes, some quiet ocean bays and in swimming pools.
On rivers, I'd rather stay on shore - thank you very much. They are just too dangerous and unpredictable, especially when visibility is so low, as it is these days.

This comming from a former waterpolo player and excellent swimmer. That should tell you something.  ;)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 03:56:08 PM »

This comming from a former waterpolo player and excellent swimmer. That should tell you something.  ;)

Im a lifeguard lol  8)

Thanks Shane......

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »

The thing with lifejackets is they get hooked very easy, and with sooo many trees, branches, sweepers on this river you may get hooked even when you are not in trouble. If you get hooked you are pretty much screwed, since the current is still strong enough to push you under.

Why tempt fate ?