Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dick Nites for Steelhead  (Read 6835 times)

dave c

Dick Nites for Steelhead
« on: January 01, 2021, 07:49:20 AM »

Just curious if you guys would switch split rings and hook?  Not sure if split rings would hold up to a Steelhead.

redside1

Re: Dick Nites for Steelhead
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 01:06:53 PM »

Dick Nites don’t have split rings, they have welded rings. They hold up fine for larger fish. Caught many cohoes on them to 15lbs. Fly fishermen have nick named them “Sir Richard” and fish them for steelhead all the time. Personally I would change out the factory eagle claw hook for a same sized Gamakatsu siwash hook.

dave c

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 01:46:52 PM »

Thankyou sir.

norm_2

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 06:04:49 PM »

I tried something similar this fall for coho.  I think I had 2 bites and landed about an 8lb wild coho.  There was a medium speed current in the middle and the fish was on the other side.  Although I landed it, the hook was slightly bent.  I would definitely beef up the hook if I steelhead with it.  It would not make sense to fish all day for one bite and lose the fish to hook failure when I know the wire gauge is light.

tim3500

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 07:33:03 PM »

I caught a few fish last year on them split ring holds up never broke one but hate donating expensive spoons to the rocks colorados are cheep like me and catch the same fish

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 04:24:50 PM »

I like to switch the hook to an Owner SSW #1 or 1/0 when floating these little spoons.

jim

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 09:05:48 AM »

I changed the hooks on mine also, same size. hoping to use and get a steelhead this spring. will try colorados #3 also.

redside1

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 01:08:58 PM »

going to a larger hook will kill the action of the lure on many occasions.  While you can't pull quite so hard a #8 or #6 siwash will still land plenty of steelhead if you are using the best "fishing" size which is a #1. #2's will float fish fine and take a larger hook.
Weight is also one of the reasons you don't see swivels on the #0 & #1 size lures.
#0's are really too small most of the times when steelhead fishing.
All of them will have moments when they will work well when alevins and fry are moving around. Caught many steelhead over the years on this sort of lure when the migration is on.
The discontinued Yakina Bait Skinny Miny's were also good to float fish.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:11:18 PM by redside1 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 01:26:28 PM »

going to a larger hook will kill the action of the lure on many occasions.  While you can't pull quite so hard a #8 or #6 siwash will still land plenty of steelhead if you are using the best "fishing" size which is a #1. #2's will float fish fine and take a larger hook.
Weight is also one of the reasons you don't see swivels on the #0 & #1 size lures.
#0's are really too small most of the times when steelhead fishing.
All of them will have moments when they will work well when alevins and fry are moving around. Caught many steelhead over the years on this sort of lure when the migration is on.
The discontinued Yakina Bait Skinny Miny's were also good to float fish.

What brand makes #8 or 6 open eye siwash?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 01:29:45 PM »

if you plan to catch steelhead with them change the hooks.

funny story. fishing with my dad about 5 or 6 years ago, he decides to try a dick nite for the first time and i said you better up the hook before you fish it. he ignores me and fishes it anyways. a few cast later he hooks a fish. plays it for a few minutes. hook pops out and sure enough it had bent open. before he had lost it had surfaced and appeared to be 8 to 10 pounds.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 01:42:36 PM »

What brand makes #8 or 6 open eye siwash?
Gamakatsa makes a #6 open eye siwash.

Hook No. 100007 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 03:14:19 PM »

I think they make up to a #10 suitable for the Wee Dick Nites. One day back in the 90s I hooked 5 or 6 springs in the Harrison on a Copper Wee Dick Nite. Didn't land one of them but the hook ring didn't open though the hooks may have. I was using a #6 fly rod.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 04:10:23 PM »

I think they make up to a #10 suitable for the Wee Dick Nites. One day back in the 90s I hooked 5 or 6 springs in the Harrison on a Copper Wee Dick Nite. Didn't land one of them but the hook ring didn't open though the hooks may have. I was using a #6 fly rod.
The "wee" or size 0 has a #8 siwash hook, the size 1 has a #6 hook, and the size 2 has a #4 hook. Aside from bending, has anyone found a solution for the hook constantly getting caught on the leader or in the top ring/swivel?  Seems like sometimes it will be every other cast, but you don't find out until the end of your drift.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 05:07:58 PM »

I just opened an unused #1 fresh from the pack...no idea how long I have had it but it's not likely older than 5 years. I measured it on my hook gauge and it measured as a #8 though the beak is very long compared to the gammie siwash.  I switched out the hooks on the other Dick Nites I have for gammies. I've got 2 stamped as "Wee Dick Nite" which are approaching to 1/2 the size of the #1. Not sure that corresponds to the 0 size or not. I put #8 gammies on those.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 07:24:43 PM »

If interested in a comparable product (from a Canadian company), consider the Gibbs Mini G. Although I have not used it for steelhead, I fish the G3 size often, with ultralight spinning gear, for cutthroat. They dig it.

The Mini G comes with welded rings top and bottom and I swap out the hook for a #6 open eye siwash gammie.