Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to fish between now and Salmon Season?  (Read 7162 times)

SirCastsAlot

What to fish between now and Salmon Season?
« on: April 21, 2015, 08:23:39 AM »

So with steelhead season coming to an end, what river/lake fishing is available between now and salmon season without a boat?

Thanks!

big spring

Re: What to fish between now and Salmon Season?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 11:16:47 AM »

Depend on where you live,you can fish stock lakes for trout in LM.or try caps in mid may for blue back.

SirCastsAlot

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 11:40:53 AM »

Lol yea should probably mention where i am: Coquitlam.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 12:45:22 PM »

When you say salmon season, what month are you referring to? Cuz depending on the body of water, and whether it's tidal or non-tidal, salmon season can run anywhere from now'ish until November/December.

SirCastsAlot

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 03:09:07 PM »

From what I have read, Salmon season for river folk are between July-December for non-boat access. If you have a boat, then you can be out there now.

It will be my first season Salmon fishing and and I will be in the lower mainland.(Vancouver up to Hope). Anything I can reach on the shoreline without a boat.

Soo looking for fishing activities between April 15, May, June.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »

From what I have read, Salmon season for river folk are between July-December for non-boat access. If you have a boat, then you can be out there now.

It will be my first season Salmon fishing and and I will be in the lower mainland.(Vancouver up to Hope). Anything I can reach on the shoreline without a boat.

Soo looking for fishing activities between April 15, May, June.
So, some suggestions for April, May, and June:
Steelhead fishing in the Squamish and Vedder Rivers (note the regs re fly only or bait ban)     
Trout fishing in local lakes
Bass/crappie fishing in local lakes and sloughs
Coho salmon fishing in the Capilano River
Beach fishing for sea run cutthroat
River/slough fishing for cutthroat
Bull trout/dolly varden fishing in the Squamish or Pitt Rivers

Lots of opportunites and no boat necessary.     

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 06:22:22 PM »

Steelhead in the Squamish? That's so 80s man! We'll see what sort of freshet happens with the 1st big heat spell in May but don't plan on spending much times fishing the Squamish from mid-May until after the Aug long weekend. No there isn't a lot of opportunity for bank anglers in May and June.  Some lakes can be fished from shore but it limits your opportunities. Buy a boat or take up gardening. Pontoons can be cheap - good used ones are around $500. Another option Clarki didn't mention is carp.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 06:50:50 PM »

There are absolutely no steelhead in Squamish folks... :-X

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »

LOL, yeah.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 08:29:04 PM »

Give the Cheakimus a go for later running Steelhead, it's part of the Squamish system. Bull trouts also present in this wonderful flow.  ;D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 09:05:52 PM »

Pick up a Crab Trap or two and do some research and head out crabbing.
Is allways a fun time with the possibility of something good to eat.

bmynbr

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 09:37:36 PM »

Sturgeon

SirCastsAlot

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 08:08:08 AM »

So, some suggestions for April, May, and June:
Steelhead fishing in the Squamish and Vedder Rivers (note the regs re fly only or bait ban)     
Trout fishing in local lakes
Bass/crappie fishing in local lakes and sloughs
Coho salmon fishing in the Capilano River
Beach fishing for sea run cutthroat
River/slough fishing for cutthroat
Bull trout/dolly varden fishing in the Squamish or Pitt Rivers

Lots of opportunites and no boat necessary.     

Thanks Clarki for pointing me in the right direction. Great information and time to head to Google before the weekend and try some of them out.

I fished the entire lower vedder up to the bridge on Sunday from 6am to 5pm..Only ran into about 8 others, amazing weather and great water. Not a single bite(Worm/Spoon/spinners/Wool) and everyone else I talked to had nothing either. Went to Freds and they said it has been slow and they even put the scale away. They have had a couple 15 pound fish brought it, but they are spawed out.

SirCastsAlot

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 08:10:40 AM »

Steelhead in the Squamish? That's so 80s man! We'll see what sort of freshet happens with the 1st big heat spell in May but don't plan on spending much times fishing the Squamish from mid-May until after the Aug long weekend. No there isn't a lot of opportunity for bank anglers in May and June.  Some lakes can be fished from shore but it limits your opportunities. Buy a boat or take up gardening. Pontoons can be cheap - good used ones are around $500. Another option Clarki didn't mention is carp.

lol I am forbidden from entering the garden... Girlfriend gets upset because I keep digging stuff up to steal her worms ;)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 12:57:14 PM »

I fished the entire lower vedder up to the bridge on Sunday from 6am to 5pm..Only ran into about 8 others, amazing weather and great water. Not a single bite(Worm/Spoon/spinners/Wool) and everyone else I talked to had nothing either. Went to Freds and they said it has been slow and they even put the scale away. They have had a couple 15 pound fish brought it, but they are spawed out.

I was on the lower river yesterday and landed a steelhead on the fly. My first steelhead on a fly from the Vedder in a few years. I saw a steelhead rising as well. Hard to say for what. Still lots of fry in the Vedder and I saw some large stoneflies! Last week I caught 14 bull trout to 25 inches in 2 trips. All on the fly as well. Didn't touch any of those yesterday.

Used to be: we'd start thinking about catching springs in Fraser by late May. I seem to remember commercial openings in the river itself by late May in the 70s. My father and I would bar fish from late May through June though it was spotty fishing. We caught sturgeon then as well. May was good bar fishing for 'Dollies' in the lower Pitt and some parts of the lower Fraser. I don't like doing that as the fish tend to get gut hooked.

June was the prime month to spin, troll or dunk roe at the mouth of the Stave, The Vedder and several creek mouths in the Canyon north of Hope. The Birkenhead had springs in April and May if you didn't mind the long drive. Of course it's all closed now. Cutthroat fishing was often at it's best on the Stave in early May - though with the mild winter everything happened 3 or 4 weeks earlier than normal.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:58:50 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.