Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Electric Setup for Trolling Motor  (Read 1838 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Electric Setup for Trolling Motor
« on: April 20, 2015, 02:19:15 PM »

I’m thinking of adding a trolling motor to my aluminum boat. I have been researching the electrical setup and am now confused by different methods to hookup the motor. I am looking at a 24V motor so I’ll need to add a 2nd battery to the bank. I spoke with a marine mechanic and he suggested that I use the pre-rigged battery tray on the bow. While that could be a good option, I’m mainly going to use the downriggers in the salt and occasionally the local lakes and would rather sit closer to the transom and have my eyes on the rods. If I decide to go with the transom setup, how can I setup the 2 batteries to supply 24V to the trolling motor and still charge the batteries from the main alternator (when gas engine is running)? Thanks guys.

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Electric Setup for Trolling Motor
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 02:43:30 PM »

You will probably have to rig up one or more switches to isolate each battery when you are running the main motor to charge them individually.

Google Perko switches.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 07:05:44 PM »

Wire the batteries in series to get your 24 volts. Then to charge with 12 volts, treat the batteries as 2 separate batteries.
In the diagram sub out the load for alternator, and you don't need to isolate.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:10:26 PM by canso »

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 08:46:57 PM »

Thanks, Canso. one of my batteries in 95 AMP and the other one is 115. Will that make any problem?