Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon lures  (Read 12316 times)

Tangles

Re: Salmon lures
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 09:53:45 PM »

Ok but 1/8 gibbs crocs do catch coho for example - 1st hand experience. I just didn't want to have to explain it to an officer. I'm not saying you can't defend yourself successfully but why risk over a few pikeminnows.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 06:48:44 AM »

If you are tossing spoons in the lower Fraser you are fishing for salmon, period.
The regulations are there to protect the fish so any by catch must not be allowed.
I would have ticketed you and taken your spinning outfit if I were the CO.

hrenya

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 07:10:45 AM »

I wonder if you read where exactly I was fishing and about my setup . I hope people like you will never become DFO.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 03:26:32 PM »

You're fishing at Garry Point tossing spoons. If the Fraser were open I would be doing the same.
You're even using the right croc for coho.
Nothing legal about what you are doing.
Try fishing off the bottom with powerbait. You won't catch any salmon that way.

hrenya

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 04:46:22 PM »

how I supposed to catch bull trout/dollys or pike minnows ?! cast bar rig with roe ? I was fishing by shore , where no salmon comes close to shore . Regulations says no fishing for salmon ! close all river for all fin fish then , or make pretty explanations for what I can fish , what I can use , or reimburse me for my fishing license .

hrenya

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 04:50:02 PM »

you may as well read post fly fishing guy replied on the first page ... do some thinking ...

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 05:37:24 PM »

When there is a particular species closure (ie salmon) yet other species are open, then presumably they prefer you to fish in a way that totally eliminates any bycatch of the closed species. As such, I think the onus is on you to demonstrate there would be little/no chance of accidentally catching salmon when they are closed.

So you were honestly trying to follow the rules, but it just so happens that casting spoons is one of the most effective method of targeting salmon in the lower Fraser from shore. If pinks were in there in good numbers now, you would absolutely have had a good chance of getting them on that croc. And what if you hooked a pink right in front of him? Hardly impossible at this time of year and then you'd really have some explaining to do :)

Think of it from the CO's point of view. They probably have heard every excuse in the book as to why someone is doing whatever they were caught doing. I think he would be somewhat justified in being at least somewhat skeptical in your statement that you are hoping for only pikeminnow or chubs when you are applying proven salmon techniques and gear  It doesn't pass the sniff test, even though your intentions were legit.

It sounds like he was just putting the screws to you to see if there were any holes in your story. In the end, no ticket so no worries...

hrenya

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 05:45:32 PM »

so u really think silver/copper croc with orange strip will work for pinks ?! in the bay which is empty on low tide and shallow on high tide , so if u let it sink over 1-2 secs you ll get snags ?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 06:02:26 PM »

Yes, Pinks travel within 6 feet of shore a lot of the time and can be caught in 2 feet of water.
Yes, A silver/copper croc will work for Pinks and Coho if the visibility is good (like it is now).
You can keep arguing a case that has no basis, or you can choose to fish legally.

hrenya

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 06:28:25 PM »

Yes, Pinks travel within 6 feet of shore a lot of the time and can be caught in 2 feet of water.
Yes, A silver/copper croc will work for Pinks and Coho if the visibility is good (like it is now).
You can keep arguing a case that has no basis, or you can choose to fish legally.
I do fish legally , that's why I ask you , legal fisherman , and you telling me wrong thing . Pinks never come that close at that stop where I was fishing to begin with , my light set up I choose for pikes was with me for a reason  . Also if I do know where is no fishing for salmon , do you really think I would be that stupid to fish at the park ?! and show me the list of spoons/hooks I can use to aim for pikes and bulls/dolly then river closed for salmon . I prefer with pictures , thanks a lot .

hrenya

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 06:29:51 PM »

almost forgot , don't argue . just show me the pictures of spoons and hooks

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 06:47:57 PM »

Here is a portion of what can be caught at Gary Point from this site-----

"there are many species of fish that you can target at Garry Point Park. Fish species that anglers might encounter include peamouth chub, northern pikeminnow, largescaled sucker, starry flounder, pacific tomcod, spiny dogfish, sculpin, dolly varden, bull trout, cutthroat trout and of course five species of pacific salmon!"

Using almost any type of lure when Salmon are present can be termed as targeting Salmon :-\ (its not a case of size or colour)

hrenya please don't take this as arguing we are just trying to help you :)
Thanks

hrenya

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2015, 09:44:07 PM »

thanks , im not trying to argue . I just want to figure it out not by "I think you can or I think you cant" . Too bad DFO office on Steveston closes at 4pm , I`ll try to make it next week and get more clear info .

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2015, 09:51:37 PM »

While you can target all species of salmon at Garry Point, if you fish in the bays where the water is 5ft or less, away from the main channel, with an ultralight spinning outfit, no one's going to suggest you are fishing for salmon.

hrenya

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 09:56:40 PM »

While you can target all species of salmon at Garry Point, if you fish in the bays where the water is 5ft or less, away from the main channel, with an ultralight spinning outfit, no one's going to suggest you are fishing for salmon.
that's exactly what I was doing, that's why I mentioned it so many times to some stuborn ppl . I casted from the rocks across the last bay , not into river , was fishing for chub , but then saw pikes jumped few times , and casted spoon .
Rod you just made it more confused :D according to typhoon .