Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sqaumish Bait Ban Rules  (Read 3560 times)

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
Sqaumish Bait Ban Rules
« on: February 16, 2007, 09:27:29 AM »

Are scented Jensen eggs included in the bait ban ?
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

frenchy

Re: Sqaumish Bait Ban Rules
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:48:16 AM »

It seems you can use jensen eggs that are not "animal" scented (Anise seems to be OK).
The guy at the fishing shop in Squamish told me so... Not sure if you want to try  :-\.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:04:52 AM »

wipe them clean and have at it. They are not made with any scent involved, only packed in it to help retail sales because they look much better in the jar covered in oil.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 10:07:20 AM »

i use them but i dont think the scent actually matters, have u seen a difference with or without?
Fish killer 101

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 10:30:38 AM »

Scent does help. But i think the main reason they work so well is they're size and colour.

coryandtrevor

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »

Well,

Jensen eggs it is then.

Thanks Dudes !

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 11:53:53 AM »

Good question. According to the Regulation, bait is defined as "any foodstuff or natural substance used to attract fish, other than wood, cotton, wool, hair, fur or feathers. It does not include finfish, other than roe. It includes roe, worms, and other edible substances, as well as scents and flavourings containing natural substances or nutrients." According to what I've read the scent found on jensen eggs are not natural substances, hence it can be concluded that jensen eggs are legal in areas where a bait ban is in effect. My .02

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 12:12:37 PM »

My advice. If it has any scent at all then don't use it. If you get checked and fined then it is up to you too prove that the scent on what you are using was legal. Also when fishing an area with a bait ban leave your scent at home. Again if you get checked and they suspect that you are using scent and they check your vest and find some guess what you can get fined.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 01:02:55 PM »

you can't get fined if you have the product in your vest. CO's have to be able to prove you are using it. A squamish local got caught last year with both roe and sand shrimp in his vest but the CO did not write a ticket because he did not have it on his hook. Still , it is a bait ban so leave the stuff at home.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 04:23:54 PM »

you can't get fined if you have the product in your vest. CO's have to be able to prove you are using it.

Yup, same applies to barbed hooks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 07:07:48 PM »

Best to leave it at home. Although you would most likely win your case in court after being fined, think about the cost in money and time it takes to win your case.

An alternative, would be to purchase some small gooey bobs (Berry's Bait and Tackle has a wide selection in these big boxes in the freshwater salmon and steelhead corner) and use those. If you prefer the glossy look, soak your small gooey bobs in mineral oil.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 07:45:46 PM »

An alternative, would be to purchase some small gooey bobs (Berry's Bait and Tackle has a wide selection in these big boxes in the freshwater salmon and steelhead corner) and use those. If you prefer the glossy look, soak your small gooey bobs in mineral oil.

Jensen products puts out a fake roe cluster that has non scented oil on them. Only comes in one colour. Orange.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

coryandtrevor

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 09:02:12 PM »

I think lures and spinners will do fine tomorrow. No scents or baits needed..... 8)

coryandtrevor

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 07:34:30 PM »

What do ya know ? Went to the Squamish today and got checked by the CO. What a coincidence. He and his trusty sidekick seemed to be looking specifically for people with scents. Neither of us were using them or any other bait >:(. Funny how things turn out

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 07:37:30 PM »

Yep, the COs in the Squamish watershed are very dedicated, kudos to them. :) Did they pick up your hook and sniff it a couple of times? ;)