Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bonefish Flies  (Read 2128 times)

Steelie1030

Bonefish Flies
« on: January 10, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »

Off to Mexico in a few weeks and wanted to stock up on bonefish flies..something I've always wanted to do but never got a chance. Going on a daytrip so could use some input on where to book as well. Anyone had experience, either good or bad with CancunVista? Anyone know a good place to buy a couple of dozen flies to take with me. Will be fishing Ascension Bay. I've been told that the flies down there are very expensive to buy. I've looked on E-Bay but don't know if the product is any good and I'm not sure if I'll get them in time.
Thanks for any input.

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: Bonefish Flies
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 04:08:41 PM »

I got some flies that I used in the cancun area from Pacific Angler. Try them. Jason Tonelli knows his stuff for that kind of fishing.I didn't try for bones but did connect with a tarpon on the fly for brief few seconds until he spat the hook while jumping 3 feet out of the water! :'(  Good luck and be safe.

nosey

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:34:44 PM »

Small clousers with a little pink and gold trim worked well for us in Belize a couple years ago, be forwarned that they won't let you take any fishhooks in your carryon luggage they took all our flies away at YVR and we had to buy flies down there when we arrived.

chief

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »

Suggest you take a look at flyfishusa.com who offer a good selection of saltwater flies including those for bonefish and other "flats"  fish. Have used flyfishusa.com  for several years for flies for my trips to Baja as local shops did not have what I was looking for. Prices and service are good and info about each fly they sell on their site is informative
Check it out & Tight Lines !

Steelie1030

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »

Thanks for the tips...I did get some actual bonefish flies from Michael &Young to take on my trip. The folks at M&Y were very helpful. I recommend them.